new to Katatonia

if your into growls get Brave Murder Day, its got Mikael from Opeth on vocals, if your into the clean stuff get Tonights Decision. its a classic album and its one of the best of all time for me. if you dont like those, then i'll presume your deaf.

go to the main site www.katatonia.com and d/l some of the sample tracks of there to see what they're like.

How can you say Jonas can't sing??
They were good and depressing with the growling heavy vocals but I think Jonas' singing adds a lot more to the music than their older stuff. Anyone can write growling or singing vocals for a song but making vocals that add to the mood of the song takes a lot more talent...

Just what I think maybe i don't know what I'm talking about

Alex
ygro_wok@hotmail.com
ICQ 136003806

Ok...saw "Guidelines"
Didnt know that Katatonians visits this forum, and I can now understand why you (moderator) didnt want it to be here.

I didnt wrote it to insult anyone...sorry if I did!

I worship ALL of Katatonia's work. Period.

If you want to get an idea of what they sound like now, then get Last Fair Deal Gone Down or Tonight's Decision. If you want to hear the death metal stuff, then pick up Brave Murder Day or suffer a lame death!

Well, his message shouldn't have been deleted though.

I couldn't care less if someone states that the singer of one of my favourite bands "can't sing". To me, that's not an insult, nor a serious argument. It's just plain stupid.

If someone says that he doesn't like the post-BMD recordings, I respect that. What the heck. Still, I'm fed up with these old school people who think that anything that came after BMD is total crap and feel the need to tell everybody. When I went to see Katatonia live there were lots of people yelling "Brave Murder Day" or "Gateways of bereavement, you idiots" and stuff like that. Somewhat upsetting, I think. :mad:

Well, enough ranting for today.

yeah twice when i saw them one woman just hated foreigners and swore throughout the set, obviously drunk and loads were shouting for the old stuff, and as you said, slating the new stuff. i was more than a bit upset, piss off if they dont like it, no one asked them to come. (well some people might have asked but thats not the point)

i think being supported by Akercocke was good as more people from a broader music taste came but was upset when they all dispersed after Akercocke finished although there were quite a few Akercocke fans who didnt know kataonia that i could see were impressed.

I couldn't care less if someone states that the singer of one of my favourite bands "can't sing".

I agree, and I would also add that singing with clear vocals requires a lot of talent and is for sure more difficult than screaming and growling...
However I must admit that I really like their old stuff too, and when I saw them live I would have been glad to listen to some other old songs, not only because of the harsh vocals( I personally prefer Jonas rather than Mikael, even if Mikael is really good, Jonas growls seem to me more desperate) but also because I consider some of their old stuff a masterpiece from the musical point of view.

Yeah, I like the old stuff as well. It's cool if they play "Murder" or "Endtime" once in a while since these songs are classics. However, I don't really expect Katatonia to play "Without God" or "Gateways Of Breavement" nowadays.

i think being supported by Akercocke was good as more people from a broader music taste came but was upset when they all dispersed after Akercocke finished although there were quite a few Akercocke fans who didnt know katatonia that i could see were impressed.

Apparently, some Opeth fans don't seem to like Katatonia at all :D

When Paradise Lost did the "One Second" tour, there were tons of people up front shouting "AS I DIE!" after literally every song.
When "Host" came out, many of the old fans *did* piss off. Stupid them. I think the "Host" tour was fantastic, a lot better than the "One Second" one. Great club atmosphere, no "As I Die"-shouting old school metal people, Nick Holmes sang a lot better and PL even seemed to play more of their earlier stuff then two years before. What do we learn from that? Think twice before pissing off! :lol:

Im not one of those who think that it was better in the old days. I like their music more on the new albums, it just that you know...

And dont say its just because i prefer death growls! I like clean voices just as much...

Like I said before, I like all of Katatonia's work. But if they come to the states, it would be nice to see them perform both old and new material. You get the best of both worlds that way.

I just cant understand that my friend "Sputnik" was banned beacause of that reply that just was an opinion with good language and not an insult. He then read the guidelines and
wrote that he was sorry and that he understand why the moderator didnt like it on this forum.

About a week later he`s banned??? With definately no acces to Katatonias forum at all, I mean he cant even look on this forum.
And he cant write posts on his favorite band Opeths forum or any other forum at all.

He feels frustrated and wants an explination wich I feel he deserves...

Originally posted by Risedfromthedead
I just cant understand that my friend "Sputnik" was banned beacause of that reply that just was an opinion with good language and not an insult.

Well, Sputnik's opinion was expressed in a quite explicit manner that could have been seen as an insult. But that can be a problem of communication, perhaps he didn't mean what he wrote and i don't find it fair to ban someone for such a message.
The big problem is that sometimes, as it is said in the Future of Speech("I have no lies or truth in what i say/ there is no meaning...") words don't necessarily express the real meaning of a thing and they can be easily misunderstood...

Anyways, I was wondering, can't someone log in again with a new username and password???

It seems if you post anything negative about Katatonia, poof, the post's gone.

An excerpt from the guidelines:
"Criticism is okay, but insults are not."

Well, where does criticism end? A blunt statement like "Jonas can't sing" can easily be classified as an insult, and yet I prefer such posts to the perpetual ass-kissing that's going on at other boards. It's quite difficult to discuss things with people who share my opinion anyway...

I acknowledge this board was created for fans and not for band bashings, but to my mind those guys don't deserve a ban, they need a hug and a huge dose of Katatonia's latest albums, afterwards they should be ready for assimilation :heh:
Cheers.