New to Opeth

sknight

Are You Morbid?
I just bought Deliverance and it's an amazing album. I'm mostly into prog, power, and goth metal. Which direction should I go in next? Should I buy later albums before the ealier ones, or the ealier ones first?

Also, anyone ever hear of Mastodon or The Haunted?

all Opeth is awesome...imo you bought the least best metal album, if you liked Deliverance the previous 5 will blow you away. Yeah get Still Life or My arms, or Orchid...anything really.

Continue with the newer ones I'd recommend (keep in mind that Damnation is a one-shot album [read prog rock]). Then when you are familiar with them try the earlier ones, they are more difficult to get into (And I think are better if only comparing would have made any sense)

I easily got into the earlier albums (if you're talking my arms, still life, bwp) those are like instant gratification...deliverance and damnation I had to listen to a few times. Orchid, Morningrise I had to listen to a few times as well...but when those grew on me I immediately liked those the best.

So many opinions...Thanks just the same. I don't have a problem getting into "difficult" music. It's tough to get into at first sometimes, but those albums last years down the road.

I'm gonna try Damnation next, but I think I like Opeth enough (from your glowing reviews), that I may even go random.

See, I read that they were a bit more like death metal that the progressive flare they have now. I'm not a big death metal fan (although Obituary's Cause of Death is a classic). Is there any truth to that?

Dreadful said:
I easily got into the earlier albums (if you're talking my arms, still life, bwp) those are like instant gratification...deliverance and damnation I had to listen to a few times. Orchid, Morningrise I had to listen to a few times as well...but when those grew on me I immediately liked those the best.

I was talking about Orchid and Morningrise. Majority of the people are facing difficulties getting into those albums, although I didn't. But when your are 'inside' the atmosphere of those utter masterpieces words are meaningless :headbang: :worship: :hotjump:

sknight said:
See, I read that they were a bit more like death metal that the progressive flare they have now. I'm not a big death metal fan (although Obituary's Cause of Death is a classic). Is there any truth to that?

I think you mean 'classic-standard' death metal. Opeth is and has always been progressive-death-metal. They never did classical or standard death metal stuff. First two albums have much more twin-guitar attacks, much raw sound, a more 'natural' feel if you understand what I mean, and Mikael's growls were more black-metallish (although not that screamy type). Also those two albums have much more folk influence.

The following concept album MAYH is much heavier and the one with the least number of acoustic interludes generally.

Still Life and Blackwater Park are very similar in sound, although BWP has a much more polished production (mcuh due to producer S. Wilson). If you liked Deliverance, then Still Life and BWP will just blow you off, up and down, period. Because personally I think Deliverance is the weakest link of the chain.

Damnation is a prog-rock a la 70s (not like Dream Theater stuff) album wihtout losing much of its Opeth characteristics.

In fact whatever you choose, you cannot be wront with Opeth unless http://www.youhavebadtasteinmusic.com/ :D

Pardon the ignorance, but some one said that Deliverance and Damnation were related albums? What are Opeth's themes?

So far, if I had to describe them, I'd have to say a bit of Pain of Salvation with some sounds reminding me of some Symphony X, mixed in with some Morgoth. I picked Morgoth because they were a bit more "atmospheric" than other death metal bands like Morbid Angel. Mikael has a great voice outside of the death vox.

bangadrian said:
well, they were supposed to be released together as one double-disc album, but mean ol' mr. record company didn't think that was such a good idea. it's supposed to be like, dark and light (get it? opposite titles?)

Well, heavy vs. softer since id argue that theyre both dark albums.

Get the Lamentations Live concert DVD. Nothing better than seeing great musicians playing their material. It covers their newer material quite nicely.

:yell: I just don't know why I still cring at the term "goth metal".

sknight said:
Pardon the ignorance, but some one said that Deliverance and Damnation were related albums? What are Opeth's themes?

So far, if I had to describe them, I'd have to say a bit of Pain of Salvation with some sounds reminding me of some Symphony X, mixed in with some Morgoth. I picked Morgoth because they were a bit more "atmospheric" than other death metal bands like Morbid Angel. Mikael has a great voice outside of the death vox.

Deliverance and Damnation are recorded in the same time and supposed to be released as a double-disc album but the label released them separately. In those albums Opeth separated their heavy and mellow/acoustic parts into 2 albums. Other opeth albums have much more of a mix of them together which I really think what Deliverance lacks mostly.

About the themes... Mikael usually writes about emotions a human may feel, or how he feels about humans. Some albums are concept albums, and their story is usually about a man's journey/emotions throughout. Mikael's said somewhere BWP reflects how he disgusts humans (some of them that is) and what they've become. The lyrics are usually difficult to understand and deeply textured like their music.

About the sound...well..many have tried, none achieved... They make Opeth music nothing else :D

bangadrian said:
well we all know that "to rid the disease" is the most evil song ever written. (just because it's mellow doesn't mean it isn't evil! really folks, you gotta believe me! don't leave me, fans!)

That was just hilarious! ROTFL!!!!

heya, welcome... i agree with most of these posts, esp. getting the dvd. i would suggest going backwards thru the catalogue, more or less, so you'd get Damnation and Blackwaterpark to go with Deliverance, then Still Life and My Arms, and finally Orchid and Morningrise, which, frankly, i feel you'd be more likely to appreciate once you are hopelessly in love with this band, which, of course, you will be.

T-Rat said:
heya, welcome... i agree with most of these posts, esp. getting the dvd. i would suggest going backwards thru the catalogue, more or less, so you'd get Damnation and Blackwaterpark to go with Deliverance, then Still Life and My Arms, and finally Orchid and Morningrise, which, frankly, i feel you'd be more likely to appreciate once you are hopelessly in love with this band, which, of course, you will be.
I think T-rat said it best.