new to symphony x

Coypu

Mar 16, 2002
medieteknik.bth.se
I have only heard 2 songs by symphony x sofar which are : Taunting the notorious and A lesson before dying. And I can't say I see the greatness in this band yet, any other songs I should check out before making a final judgement?

:lol: How did you hear those obscure songs first? Random downloading because the song titles are cool? Those are from the first Symphony X album almost 10 years ago... when they had a different (crappy) singer... even most Symphony X fans regard that album to be a subpar album.

There are mp3s from the last 4 albums available at http://www.symphonyx.com/audio.html

Coypu said:
I have only heard 2 songs by symphony x sofar which are : Taunting the notorious and A lesson before dying. And I can't say I see the greatness in this band yet, any other songs I should check out before making a final judgement?
These 2 songs from their first release, which Mike Romeo refers to as their "DEMO" impressed you enough to join the Symphony X Forum.....wow :) Well, you are in for a great surprise when you hear what they have done. Welcome!!

Hey, does anyone know where that "Are you more than metal" thread got to, the one where you can talk about yourself? I can't seem to find it and bring it up. There are a bunch of new people we can meet on there. That was a cool thread.

My favorite song:
The Accolade

If you like metal:
Divine Wings of Tragedy
Church of the Machine
The Odyssey
Inferno (Unleash the Fire)
Fallen

If you like prog:
The Accolade
Communion and the Oracle
Through the Looking Glass
Awakenings
Candlelight Fantasia

Those are my favorites. Personally I recommend the following songs:
The Accolade
The Divine Wings of Tragedy
Awakenings
Through the Looking Glass

Those are my favorite. If you're more geared toward metal, give the others a try.

-Kronikle

damn, if I heard those two songs first, Id hate the band. Good work in not giving up interest and seeking guidance, I'm certain you'll be pleased with what you hear from albums like Twilight, V, and Odyssey

I checked out a pack of songs and I must say that my respect for Symphony X is growing all the time, the first songs i heard where defiantely weak in comparisong to their newer stuff. I'm still not a fan but this is a good start. Thanks for all the suggestions, I appreciete it.

and look at everyone jump over judging symphony x based on the worst two songs :lol: ..

I'd recommend getting all of the songs Kronikle suggested for a good variety on what SyX is about, because every single song is completely unlike the next. You have to hear all of it really before making an educated judgement.

You should check out all the songs listed above. You should also check out the song "Absinthe and Rue" Even though it's on the first album, it's still a great song. Hell, even Rod Tyler's terrible singing is good here. This song is great...Makes me wonder why Russel Allen decided to remake Masquerade instead of Absinthe and Rue...

The demo comment pretty much tells you what to expect from the debut...it's an underdeveloped release that suffers from extremely weak vocals. While many of its songs are on the dull side, it isn't completely without hints at what followed...

Hey, the "demo" was what got me on the Symphony X bandwagon, so don't knock it!:) I don't think I have as much of a problem with the vocals, though they're nowhere near Russell's. I bought the first release when it first came out, and I thought it was great. And Symphony X has just gotten greater!