New to testament

Electroman

7th Son of a 7th Son
Apr 16, 2004
Melbourne Australia
hey guys. im kind of very enw to testament. ive heard of them before many times but never took a closer inspection. but few days ago i got my hands on 'the ritual' and i tell you what it is some of the best stuff ive ever heard :headbang: .
Return to serenety is the greatest!!!!

Just wondering is all their newer stuff the same ? as in same style? i understand theyve changed members and Skolnick is now gone...?

Their style was changing through the years and the new stuff is very different from what you've herard on "The Ritual". It's great, but you'd be in deep shock after listening to their latest- "The Gathering"- it's way heavier and faster than "The Ritual". It's still Thrash Metal and still TestAmenT, but they're different on each release. Of course, each of the records has the testament feeling to it, great musicianship, great songwriting, fantastic vocals and great lead work, but they're all in different styles. They've played almost everything- from great ballads, through rock songs, melodic metal, more classic heavy metal, speed metal, various forms of Thrash (melodic, speed, death\thrash), to pure death metal.
I'd recommend you to check out "Practice What You Preach" (1989), "Souls Of Black" (1990) and "The New Order" (1988) now, as these are a little similar to "TR". They got heavier after Skolnick and Clemente left, so check out the earlier works first- to start loving TestAmenT and then you're surely love and get used to the newer, heavier and more mature stuff.

Welcome Electroman!

You've got alot of great stuff to discover in all the other albums Testament has ever made!!
You haven't heard the best yet..
Check out the albums the High Priest told you about..They are as fucking great!!
Testament is the best!!!
:headbang:

Im [fairly] new to Testament too...but I bought The Gathering first [about 6 months ago] The only other thing i've heard is The Haunting [D/loaded it]... im thinking from what ive just read above that I should have got one of the earlier albums..... oh well :S

Nice name. Anyway, when I got into Testament, The New Order was the first one got (Christmas Present). Anyway yah, you should get all their albums. The order of how good they are in my opinion goes like this:
1. The New Order
2. The Legacy
3. The Gathering
4. Practice What You Preach
5. Demonic
6. Low
7. Souls of Black
8. The Ritual (I think that this one is the worst. It's just too mainstream for me.)

I left First Strike Still Deadly off of there (one of my faves though!) cuz I just don't know where to put it on there. I also left off Live at the Filmore cuz I don't know what they sound like live. The other ones I either own, or have heard enough songs off of them to know where they stand.

FuckYouIWantToDie said:
one of the best metal bands of all time. UNDERRATED!

yeah!! i'm always curious why the band is underrated><

Eric's riffs r better than Dave's from Megadeth
Alex's solos were better than Kirk
Chuck's vocal ability is muchhhhhh better than those singers of the Big Four!
as for greg, steve, louie... whoever the band accompanied with, they all ruled musically and technically!!!
Really dont know why :erk: ?

The first time I heard of Testament I saw the Over the Wall music video, and I liked it so much Instantly went and bought The Legacy. Now they are my favorite band and like formaldehyde said they musically blow away all of the other bands. I have everyone of their albums and I still think The Legacy (thier 1st album) is the most brutal evn more than the gathering,but that is my opinion