newer rpgs

Xenosaga, not Xenosage. It's an rpg made by Namco with massive cutscenes and what I assume is a similar combat system to Xenogears.

If you like rpgs, you MUST have a ps2 as any other system will just leave you out in the cold.

Xbox has Morrowind and Knights of the Old Republic (both are awesome games)

PS2 has FFX, Arc the Lad's newest (I forget the name), Dark Cloud 1 and 2, Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, Xenosaga, Suikoden 3, Wild Arms 3, etc...

GCN has Skies of Arcadia and Zelda.

I knew in advance that Wild Arms 3 was very traditional as all the others were. I only beat Wild Arms 1 but I thought it was a fairly good game. Needless to say, it will likely be the last of the current crop of rpgs that I will buy, if I do end up buying it at all which is doubtful. I know I'm going to get Xenosaga and Skies of Arcadia, the others are up to whatever games come out that replace them in terms of what I want to play.

You're wrong. Icewind Dale doesn't focus on characters at all, really, it's almost more of a strategy than RPG, and no point and clicks generaly focus much on the main character, as you usually create him yourself, but they are very, very much RPGs.

Besides, hack and slash is just an RPG subgenre, and probably a more pure RPG, with its D&D backgrounds, than console RPGs.