News about the CD

Well I meant promo song in that case. Now that's all cleared up.

I was responding to what Ken was saying not that you had mentioned a more commercially viable track. I knew what you were talking about. I still dont think mature bands in these genres of music write these kinds of songs for that purpose. One interview regarding "why Serpents Kiss" Romeo just said they had a real good feeling about the song. Not that they worked hard to make a chart topper, there it was and they choose it, thats my take on this type of song, unless like Marwin said your in the pop industry, things are very intentional there.

okay, but who in the metal scene actually goes out and buys a single or requests it on the "radio"?

it's certainly a ghost left over from the import of other genres but it's vestigial at best.

Maybe you're right. But there must be some sort of market for them if they're still being made.

I'm 100% ok with bands taking as long as they need to nuture their creative vision. But in this day of such instant and open communication, Symphony X scores an epic fail. Their website is a joke and their overall presence is non existant. If indeed their management or label is handcuffing them somehow then they should be let go for not understanding the key requirements of marketing a product.
Even private bands like Tool who take 5 year breaks between records hire Blair to give the fans something to cling onto...
I don't expect MJR to be tweeting from the mixing board but their current existence borders on hermitic...relatively speaking.

Seriously, what is it that you want to know? The album is being made, you will know when it's out. (although we do get a few updates along the way)

Constantly publishing minor details about the band and the album making process in their website and social networking sites just so you can say "HAHA COOL! I can't wait for this to be out!" is not something I deem as essential. It borders on banality.

As for "marketing" a "product", if the band's sole purpose were to market and sell, they would have already sold out.

Ahh, there it is. Totally missing all the points.
I'll go ahead and listen to the new Avenged Sevenfold record and wait for a Kovulchuk update.

Seriously, what is it that you want to know? The album is being made, you will know when it's out. (although we do get a few updates along the way)

Constantly publishing minor details about the band and the album making process in their website and social networking sites just so you can say "HAHA COOL! I can't wait for this to be out!" is not something I deem as essential. It borders on banality.

As for "marketing" a "product", if the band's sole purpose were to market and sell, they would have already sold out.

There's no need for the extreme (pointless twittering, daily facebook posts, etc.), but there's no denying that the band is way behind the times with the way marketing and promotion works in today's music industry. I don't care to get into a lengthy discussion on that....but there's no denying where the band stands on that scale. Frankly, I don't care about the band's ability to market themselves (and apparently neither do they!), I'll buy the album if/when it comes out and hopefully I'll like it. Nonetheless, they could be doing more to establish themselves commercially and probably financially without changing ANYTHING musically

Yeah, this whole idea of "being with the times" can suck a dick, frankly. The band doesn't have any obligations to anyone. Marketing, nothing - let's see some commercial suicide.

I'll go ahead and listen to the new Avenged Sevenfold record and wait for a Kovulchuk update.

Yes, that band is a great example of being "with the times." I am not surprised you enjoy them. :)

Yeah, this whole idea of "being with the times" can suck a dick, frankly. The band doesn't have any obligations to anyone. Marketing, nothing - let's see some commercial suicide.

It's not about obligations to anyone, it's about doing better for themselves and expanding the reach of their music. As much as I wish them the best, I couldn't really give less of a fuck how they run their band. They'll put out material or they wont, and I'll like it or I wont. As an observer, though, I can't help but wonder why they (including management and the likes) seem to actively avoid marketing the band in an easy, functional, and effective manner.

Well, I do believe Symphony X should be marketing/updating a little more often!

I had my moment of bitching, with Paradise Lost. It was my first Symphony X release and I was really excited. And the post that one of the mods made was something along the lines of "Be prepared for photos, bi weekly (or monthly can't remember) updates and ect ect. So I personally was expecting more, now I see that we wont get more.

Symphony X is behind on the times, I don't want them to change that to be quite honest. What would a bunch of dudes who hate the internet do with the internet? its just pointless and will tick them off more than make them happy! So on that note, I agree, we need a little more updates. It would be nice... but some of you guys are asking for way to much. And alot of you are being dicks about it. Its either "I want a fucking update you stupid shit" or "Get a life you fucking idiot, its not happening, don't you have a life outside of the internet?"

So...On that note, I honestly think this thread should be locked and closed. New fans to be band will come to this long ass thread and see nothing but a bunch of bickering from a bunch of fucking children. It will turn off more people than it will attract. But hey...thats just my opinion! There has been like a total of two updates on here (this thread I mean) I think its over stayed its welcome!

@ Meedleyx10

I completely agree with you and I also said the same thing on page 8 of this topic, which I was responded to with negativity and "stop whining." Symphony X need to market/reach out to fans a little.

Symphony X is very neglecting to their fans when it comes to updating on album progress compared to other bands. Angra and Blind Guardian who are releasing new albums now for example have released a bunch of videos showing their album recording process in addition to giving updates every now and then on their progress.

With Symphony X we get a sentence or two (filtered from more things that were apparently said but cannot be conveyed) every 3 months - second hand, on a message board. Back in March we heard "Mike has promised to get photos of the recording sessions, so we should have the first of those to share next week; stay tuned".

This isn’t just about news on the new record. Let’s just take this on the most basic level…

Person X is listening to Pandora radio and Communion and the Oracle comes on. They think, wow…great song…who are these guys and what are they all about? Then they do what 99% of us would do in that situation…go to Google and type ‘Symphony X’ and click on their official website.

News – the last 5 news items span 2 years
Tour Dates – are from 2008/2009
FAQ – last update 2003
Gallery – total of 11 images which are from 2006

Are we getting the picture yet?? Sure Person X might find a few things on the website that interest them but they also might think, ok I’m not getting much here I am going to click away.

The band and/or their management have no excuse for not doing a better job at this. (and yes I know we are supposedly getting a revamped website but it's been like this for a looong time)

I think we can all agree that SX are one of the best bands on the planet…that is why we are here. But as was mentioned above they are only doing themselves a disservice and a few improvements would change NOTHING about them or their music.
We're not in 1986 where you sign up for a fan club and get newsletters every 6 months (even though that was kinda awesome at the time!) It was mentioned here a few months ago that we might get a few studio pictures…again this is not the same world where you have to develop film and scan every image…you can get hundreds of pictures online in a matter of minutes even via your cell phone.

And regarding A7X, I only checked out the new record because of Portnoy and to be honest...I'm pleasantly suprised!

Well, you can bring up as many facts as you want. But saying that Symphony X is neglecting fans is false, and quite insulting to them i'm sure!

ON TO MY POINT: They don't like the internet, so whats the point?

And in Symphony X defense. I don't feel neglected because at live shows, they are the coolest dudes ever, and make them selves VERY accesibly. You can practically go have a beer with them and just talk about life (provided they arnt in a rush to go anywhere).

That is where Symphony X shines, so they don't update there website as much. Get over it, save some money, go to a show, and you can meet everyone of them, get signatures, and actually speak with them. Its hardly ever a lineup thing, you can litterally sit there and talk with them like regular people.

---
1: Websites take time to make
2: Nuclear blast has yet to even update there symphony x page.

Simply give it time. Close this thread, before someone pulls out a gun!

I think we can agree there is a difference between an existing fan and a potential fan. Personally, apart from news updates, I don’t care if they even have a website at all. That’s great to meet them at shows but maybe they would have more people at those shows if the general music fan knew they existed.

Perhaps people like Portnoy just raise the bar too high. Do you know how much interest he generates for DT as one man alone?! The guy is a machine and he understand how to exist in a niche market like prog metal. They are where they are because of him. Period.

I guess we get to see the good and the bad of the net right here. Everyone expects things now, has a feeling of entitlement into the inner workings and personal business of a band. Lets stop working on our music and take pictures, videos, give information, dedicate time to a web site because the fans are crying. Maybe they have a life too, maybe they havent seen each other in months and spending time around home and family, maybe theres a hitch in the writing and something is not coming together the way they want, maybe they have thrown out all the material 4 times now because everytime they turn around they hear some "fan" didnt like what they did here and there on PL or maybe they just said fuck it and returned to Ithaca.