News about the CD

I was wondering why (in general) these days, it takes forever for bands to release albums? It seems like in the 1970's, bands usually released at least one album a year. Vanden Plas took forever, Orphaned Land took forever, TOOL really takes forever, etc. In contrast, Peter Gabriel-era Genesis released a new album ever year, Fish-era Marillion did the same (or at least an EP a year), and Jethro Tull released a new album every year for twelve straight years. What happened? I'm not aiming this at SX, I'm just talking in general.

I would guess that it is some combination of recording length (CD's hold double what a vinyl does) and the market to some extent.

Anyway, regardless of the issue's with promoting/updating the progress of this CD, I'm still really excited for it - there's not too many prog metal bands that I like anymore, but SX is still up there.

Funnily enough, when I first created an account for this forum, I assumed that everybody here was going to be a music elitist. I thought I wouldn't know enough about music/music theory to hold my own.
I quickly realized that SX had summoned the more "metal" fans, who just want to rock out, rather than the proggers. I always heard SX as a prog band, and I was a little disappointed, to say the least (only because I wanted to talk music, not because the people here aren't cool. They are).

Funnily enough, when I first created an account for this forum, I assumed that everybody here was going to be a music elitist. I thought I wouldn't know enough about music/music theory to hold my own.
I quickly realized that SX had summoned the more "metal" fans, who just want to rock out, rather than the proggers. I always heard SX as a prog band, and I was a little disappointed, to say the least (only because I wanted to talk music, not because the people here aren't cool. They are).

I have no qualms with people preferring the metal aspect of Symphony X's music over the progressive elements, but I will say that I have noticed a steep rise in moshing and other pit-related activities at Symphony X shows since PL's release. I'm not gonna lie - this annoys me. I go to shows to watch my favorite bands, not be kicked/pushed in the back by some douche who has no concern for anyone but themselves. Save that kind of activity for generic metal/whatever kinds of bands. In a nutshell, I have no problem with people enjoying themselves at shows as long as it doesn't interfere with others' enjoyment of the show.

What's music theory? Like, chords and shit? :bah:

I have no qualms with people preferring the metal aspect of Symphony X's music over the progressive elements, but I will say that I have noticed a steep rise in moshing and other pit-related activities at Symphony X shows since PL's release. I'm not gonna lie - this annoys me. I go to shows to watch my favorite bands, not be kicked/pushed in the back by some douche who has no concern for anyone but themselves. Save that kind of activity for generic metal/whatever kinds of bands. In a nutshell, I have no problem with people enjoying themselves at shows as long as it doesn't interfere with others' enjoyment of the show.

That's where the band's sound is heading, though...not an insult, just true in some respects

if u don't like the pit, get out of the pit

I think you're missing the point of my post. There should be no pit.

That's where the band's sound is heading, though...not an insult, just true in some respects

I know, and while I like a lot of the newer material, it's a shame that it draws in people who feel the need to act like that. You want to enjoy yourself, fine, but respect other people's presence.

The way I see it is that any band with a keyboard player should have moshing disabled at their shows. :lol:

I think you're missing the point of my post. There should be no pit.

I know, and while I like a lot of the newer material, it's a shame that it draws in people who feel the need to act like that. You want to enjoy yourself, fine, but respect other people's presence.

The way I see it is that any band with a keyboard player should have moshing disabled at their shows. :lol:

Totally agree eh!

if u don't like the pit, get out of the pit

So if I wanna watch a band I really like up close I have to settle for being pushed around? Thats bullshit.

If its a thrash show I expect it. Thats like saying if pits started at Wayne Newton concerts that the old folks would have to all sit in the balcony.

I understand if I'm at a slayer concert I can expect some bruises but when I go see a band like Sym X I want to enjoy it regardless of what some emo fuck moron wants to do.

I got a better idea. Wanna include me in the "pit"? Expect some teeth knocked out.

I got a better idea. Wanna include me in the "pit"? Expect some teeth knocked out.

Hahahaha! Yeah man :lol:. Some people I know (I'm a teenager so most of my friends are also younger) are like "that concert was awesome!" after a lame-ish concert cuz the moshing... in my opinion though... an incredible CD is more enjoyable then that. I'd love to see Symphony X... good music live would be... wow :yell:.

I've been to many concerts in my life. There is almost always a way to avoid the pit if that's what you want to do. Stay away from the middle, because that's almost always where they start. They almost never happen toward the back near the exits (unless the venue is extremely small or it's just that kind of band). Depending on how many people show up, you will probably get pushed around a lot because people will be either trying to walk up to the front and/or trying to crowd surf. I've been kicked in the head and passed out numerous times due to these fools.

You can't keep people from doing what they do in this kind of environment. At least where I live, all the metal clubs have no seats so it's really anything goes (I've seen some CRAZY, crazy shit). Of course reserve a seat if that option is avalible to you. I've seen pits at even Dream Theater shows! People will slam dance to anything.

So if I wanna watch a band I really like up close I have to settle for being pushed around? Thats bullshit.

If its a thrash show I expect it. Thats like saying if pits started at Wayne Newton concerts that the old folks would have to all sit in the balcony.

I understand if I'm at a slayer concert I can expect some bruises but when I go see a band like Sym X I want to enjoy it regardless of what some emo fuck moron wants to do.

You can't stop people from doing what they want to do. You'll never be able to prevent a moshpit if there are a bunch of ppl that want to mosh. It's not like you have to get pushed around if you want a good spot to stand. There's also moshing etiquette - assholes that throw kicks and punches will in turn get their ass kicked or get thrown out by a security guard. Moshpits at Symphony X shows are typically just pushing and no one gets hurt. It's not like a Chimaira show where they split the crowd in half and each side attacks each other at a breakdown.

You can't stop people from doing what they want to do. You'll never be able to prevent a moshpit if there are a bunch of ppl that want to mosh. It's not like you have to get pushed around if you want a good spot to stand. There's also moshing etiquette - assholes that throw kicks and punches will in turn get their ass kicked or get thrown out by a security guard. Moshpits at Symphony X shows are typically just pushing and no one gets hurt. It's not like a Chimaira show where they split the crowd in half and each side attacks each other at a breakdown.

Last SY-X show, there was NO moshing ettiquette.
And while I can't stop the pit, I'd be willing to bet I could keep people away.

Moshing scene twerps have NOTHING on 90s European metal gigs. Busted glass all over the place, weapons, setting shit on fire.

While I think politely sitting in a folding chair for a metal show is pathetic, if somebody pushes me around, I'm going to smash their face in and high 5 JDub before continuing to headbang.