Night Is The New Day

Oh do you? I was just thinking of listening it but im still istening this Phil Collins record I bought and it just s-u-c-k-s :(

it was out on friday in switzerland too.. I've already heard it but I cannot tell you how good it is without making spoilers and don't want to risk that you get to know if it's good and then you won't buy anymore. btw, darth vader is the father of luke, sorry. :)

Okay I got my Night is the New Day copy from my record store.
After having dried myself from the rain I opened the package.
First of; Wonderful package. It's a beautiful little dark book and I love it.
I've listened until Liberation so far and it's crazy.
I think this is totally up there with the legendary good albums. I can totally put it in the top of my fave albums list.
And I've still got more than the half to go!!
Some thoughts;
The production is killer. Very full, thick, powerful bass sound with amazing atmospheres in the background.
Musically it's very original. The song structures are daring and exciting and every instrument has a lot to put on the table to keep it interesting.
I especially want to mention the drums here, so Daniel... Great job.

The biggest improvement, which actually really caught me off guard, is how well the music carries the message.
The lyrics and the music are perfectly entwined. Jonas' vocal performance has improved like crazy (does it ever stop?!) and you can hear the honesty and feeling in Jonas' voice.
Katatonia have grown a lot with this record. It seems they keep maturing and that's how I would like to define the album so far.
Mature, exciting, deep, original... beautiful.
I'm gonna go for the rest of the songs now!!

First all over listen... and nothing caught my attention except The Promise of Deceit and Departer. I should give more spins to make a real comment. But my first idea of the album is; way weaker than TGCD. Maybe in time it will change...

There's one thing that kinda annoys me on the record and that is: everytime theres a "break" or a part in a song without drums and when the drums come back in theres this same sounding snare drum fill every freaking time! and the drumming is technical, yes, but I don't like it as much as before since IMO it sounds a bit like Axe's drumming from opeth, especially the fills and I dont like his drumming for some unknown reason.

nothing yet....just peaceville email that informed that 30 th october the package has been sent to my place....i hope tomorrow i'll find it in my mailbox

Mikael Akerfeldt wasn't just talking up his mates band! This album is truly breathtaking. I was speechless after hearing Departer!
It is everything I dreamed. Katatonia are the PERFECT band, and this is their crowning achievement.

Thanks so much for giving us everything you have on this masterpiece!

Yeah I agree you with Departer. Its somehow so dramatic :p. It's like the perfect song, almost.

Just a fantastic album!

So varied and strong overall. Onward into battle, Nephilim, Inheritance, Day and then the shade, and not the least, the beautiful Departer are all top notch Katatonia songs.
To think that i actually loved Krister Linders part we're he simply takes over the vocals for the latter half of Departer is quite a surprise, but it fit sooo well!

Just a fantastic album!

So varied and strong overall. Onward into battle, Nephilim, Inheritance, Day and then the shade, and not the least, the beautiful Departer are all top notch Katatonia songs.
To think that i actually loved Krister Linders part we're he simply takes over the vocals for the latter half of Departer is quite a surprise, but it fit sooo well!

I agree about Linder on Departer. He really takes the song to a whole new level, amazing song.

Don't worry about Linder in "Departer". I was really nervous but his voice really fits the song. My favourite along with "Forsaker" and "Longest Year". The only songs that I don't feeling anything for are "New Night" and "Day And Then The Shade". Not much value in them. Rest of the songs still have that mesmerizing Katatonia feel in them, and I'm just waiting for them to come together even more.

I really don't understand you people adoring this album... Ok it is of course good cos it's Katatonia, but I surely have expected more after all this time. I didn't expect a worse version of TGCD. I have to say that sometimes the keys are really out of place. Some parts of the songs are too mellow. It's also sad to see that there are no more big choruses. The only one that might get near to those mighty Katatonia choruses is The Promise of Deceit. Actually after a few more spins now I'm quiet sure it is the best song in the album. And yes Linder is very good in Departer actually. I think Katatonia should have taken that direction in all of the songs. Then I could have understood the lack of big choruses. I see a lot of points to complain about, I now after seeing you guys liking it so much actually think that something is wrong with me. But I think it's the worst one of the post BMD era...

Disappointed for the first time...

Katatonia deliver again. Heartfelt, melancholic, catchy, rockin dark tunes. Production- top notch. Atmospheres and textures- best they've done yet. Diverse selection of songs. Great lyrical cohesiveness and great lyrics in general. Night is the New Day is by far the best release of the past few years. Daniels drumming is outstanding. The song structure/arrangements are Katatonia's most progressive yet (Akerfeldt was right). Although for prog nerds, the short songs are probably enough for them to de-classify Katatonia as progressive yet again.

Standout tracks for me -
Forsaker:kickass:
Longest Year :worship:
Idle Blood ;)
Liberation :kickass:
Promise of deceit :OMG:(probably the best song ever written)
Inheritence o_O
Day and then the Shade :cry:
Departer :cry:

Only time will tell how this album will age, but my guess is it will become yet another classic in Katatonia's FLAWLESS discography.