Night Is The New Day

yeah, it was shipped the 30:th, according to mail.
My mate also pre-ordered from them, but she hasn't received it either.

You also live in Märsta, don't you? (Or did I confuse you with someone else on this board? :loco:)

However, I pre-ordered it from Burning Shed the same day it became available, got my "shipped" mail Oct 30th and there are no signs of a CD yet. So you and your mate are not alone...
I agree that this really sucks, you would expect to have it in your mail a couple of days past release date, at most!

I finally got my copy in the mail today! :headbang: But I just got back from the hospital after having a procedure done and no sleep last night so I am going to wait until tomorrow to give this album a debut listen once I am all rested up. One bothersome thing about the packaging itself though is that it's a bit too large and it will not fit into my cd rack with all of my other cds. :mad:
Jack

I've been listening through my studio monitors for the past few nights and after some minor EQ tweaks for room correction. I'm absolutely amazed at the quality of the production. The track placements are very dynamic, always moving around. It's hard to hear, but drop in a sound field analysis plug-in and all is reveled.

I was curious about the evolution from TGCD, so I placed them side by side and toggled them on and off. It was like night and day (No pun intended). On it's own TGCD sounded great, but NITND has more resolution and more pleasing dynamics. On top of that the songwriting just blows me away, very dark and dripping with this hollow emotion, there's just so much going on in these songs you hear something new every time you listen. It's really everything you would want from a CD.

I'm not one for going ape shit over a new album, but this one seems special to me, and will become the new benchmark for quality production.:headbang:

I finally got my copy in the mail today! :headbang: But I just got back from the hospital after having a procedure done and no sleep last night so I am going to wait until tomorrow to give this album a debut listen once I am all rested up. One bothersome thing about the packaging itself though is that it's a bit too large and it will not fit into my cd rack with all of my other cds. :mad:
Jack

Lol, that's why I have all mine on a shelf.

To me after listening to this record non stop for the past 2 days........

This is their best album by far.

Don't get me wrong, their other albums are amazing but as far as deep seated quality of each song (to me at least) is unrivaled to anything else that they have other done. As a matter of fact, I listened to their entire back catalog last week mutliple times and after re-listening to it a few hours ago, it seems that Night Is The New Day is incredibly haunting, dark, deep, and just plain depressing.

If you have a great sound system and are able to listen to it over and over, it builds up like no other album I've listened to in YEARS. I thought it was just good at first, but now since it's like my 14th listen I just simply cannot get enough of this album.

Despiste everyone acclaiming TGCD, i was very disappointed. The album was good, but nowhere near their other masterpieces beginning in BMD and ending in LFDGD and a little VE.
Yes, i'm one of the fanatics for the Anders leads, they were beautiful, and i just couldn't believe they were nowhere to be found in TGCD.
So, i was a bit concerned about NITND. After listening to the new record more than 30, 40 times, i can say that I LOVE THIS ALBUM the same i love all the others, excluding TGCD and half of VE.
So, having in consideration that they took out my favourite thing about Katatonia (the beautifully melodic Anders leads), the guys really created a masterpiece!!

The more I listen to the NITND the less I like it. Most likely it's an exclusive opinion here in the forum, but it's really not growing on me. Maybe I'm not in the right mood, though I'm not dancing on tables all day long, hehe.

I think a few things are confusing me:

1. The sound: NITND has an amazing sound. Dynamics, big room atmosphere and so on are on top of course. But is it sooo important? You will say "yes it is". So let's go on..

2. The technical level of the musicians: Katatonia get better from album to album. But is it necessary that you can hear it out? Anders said in an interview that they wanna get better and better with each album and when they release an album it has to top the latest record. That's a good attitude in general. But would it be a step backwords if they just did a very "simple" album, just in theory? Simple is not bad in my opinion. And complexity isn't good automatically.

So let's come to my conclusion. I think Katatonia are better when they simplify their song structures and musical arrangements. They are not Opeth or Porcupine Tree and I don't wanna certain vocal effects, guitar sounds of these bands on a Katatonia record. They don't need it. They stand out with their own unique sound.

For example I'm quite sure that a song like "Idle Blood" would be much more intimate just played on acoustic guitar, a simple drumbeat and Jonas great voice on top.

Maybe Katatonia have to think about an unplugged album. This would help them to realise how good their songs really are when played naked.

The more I listen to the NITND the less I like it. Most likely it's an exclusive opinion here in the forum, but it's really not growing on me. Maybe I'm not in the right mood, though I'm not dancing on tables all day long, hehe.

I think a few things are confusing me:

1. The sound: NITND has an amazing sound. Dynamics, big room atmosphere and so on are on top of course. But is it sooo important? You will say "yes it is". So let's go on..

2. The technical level of the musicians: Katatonia get better from album to album. But is it necessary that you can hear it out? Anders said in an interview that they wanna get better and better with each album and when they release an album it has to top the latest record. That's a good attitude in general. But would it be a step backwords if they just did a very "simple" album, just in theory? Simple is not bad in my opinion. And complexity isn't good automatically.

So let's come to my conclusion. I think Katatonia are better when they simplify their song structures and musical arrangements. They are not Opeth or Porcupine Tree and I don't wanna certain vocal effects, guitar sounds of these bands on a Katatonia record. They don't need it. They stand out with their own unique sound.

For example I'm quite sure that a song like "Idle Blood" would be much more intimate just played on acoustic guitar, a simple drumbeat and Jonas great voice on top.

Maybe Katatonia have to think about an unplugged album. This would help them to realise how good their songs really are when played naked.

not that i disagree with you, but what the hell are you talking about? are you really implying that they constantly sound like those bands on this album? katatonia have never had just "simple" song structures if you have listened to their albums long enough. they do stand out with their own unique sound, im quite positive that each of their albums are NOTHING like any other band out there. Idle blood is a simple exception, and it's the only song like that on the album. big deal.

katatonia are not just about choruses, it works for them sure but NITND is a perfect example as to what they can do without them and be simply amazing at it.

katatonia have never had just "simple" song structures if you have listened to their albums long enough./QUOTE]

Well for example if you listen to TGCD you can notice that almost every song on that album goes like "intro, verse, bridge, chorus, verse, chorus and some middle part (dont know whats that called :D)" Or something similar to that, very simple IMO. BUUUTTT that doesnt mean it's bad

I meant "simple" in the vein of "less layers" or "less tracks". This atmospheric parts, Mr. Default created, are really great ... but sometimes it's simply too much, at least in my opinion. Good example again ... idle blood. Or take the beginning riff of "Day and then the shade". Sounds like modern Dark Tranquillity to my ears... and I can't stand out keyboard layers within heavy riffs. Sounds way cheesy more than sometimes...

mm yeah.. I think the New Night Piano thing on the background in the chorus where the heavy guitars are sounds really beautiful. I wish there would be a version without the guitars on it

Best part of the album, and one of the greatest things the band has done imo. Perfect as it is.

It's only cheesy when shred bands do it. When done correctly it only makes things sound darker. This album does them perfectly, which is why I can't agree with your sentiments.

Of course when done correctly it adds to the atmosphere, but the keys at the beginning of Day and then The Shade are not that kind. It makes it more like a cheesy metal song...