Night Is The New Day

It's strange the fact that many don't appreciate so much Nephilim!!! I think it's a wonderful song, maybe one of the most spectacular songs Katatonia realized!!!

Ashen should have been on the album, it's just too good for a bonus track, I enjoy it more than a few of the other tracks that made the official cut. I felt the same way with Separated by Amorphis. It was better than several tracks on Skyforger, but not placed on the album, just a b-side.

What it is to do with is production, Katatonia are producing themselves (to a certain point) , there is nothing wrong with that but expectations are somewhat warped as a "producer" may have made decision to assist the albums makeup.

It's strange the fact that many don't appreciate so much Nephilim!!! I think it's a wonderful song, maybe one of the most spectacular songs Katatonia realized!!!

Nephilim is actually tied with Ne Night for favorite track, for me. It's so evil and amazing. If they don't play it when I finally see them live, I will be upset.

Yep, the one song with doom, of course its godly. Now they just have to bring back growls, and they'd be winning years easily again :)

Yep, the one song with doom, of course its godly. Now they just have to bring back growls, and they'd be winning years easily again :)

Nope. I'd hate to hear them bring back the growls (unless they were used VERY sparingly). I didn't mind the few screams in the songs off of TGCD so as long as it wasn't more than that, then I could handle it in a couple songs. Jonas has too amazing of a voice though to waste it on a lot of goofy sounding grunts and screams.

"Nephilim" is a good song, but it doesn't really go anywhere. There are not enough changes in the melody to hold my interest as much as the other songs. Maybe if they would have included a bridge, that would have helped it's appeal a little more?
Jack

It'd be cool if they growled again, but only if they felt if it was right. If they did it, just for the sake of doing to please a few fans, then I'd be irritated.

Obviously none of you know BlueSky well enough. He is totally joking. He has been the strongest advocate for bringing back the Dance of December Souls screams and the Brave Murder Day death vocals.

Nope. I'd hate to hear them bring back the growls (unless they were used VERY sparingly). I didn't mind the few screams in the songs off of TGCD so as long as it wasn't more than that, then I could handle it in a couple songs. Jonas has too amazing of a voice though to waste it on a lot of goofy sounding grunts and screams.

"Nephilim" is a good song, but it doesn't really go anywhere. There are not enough changes in the melody to hold my interest as much as the other songs. Maybe if they would have included a bridge, that would have helped it's appeal a little more?
Jack

Or maybe perhaps if the chorus wasn't so ridiculously grating. The verses are spectacular. And about the grunts, while I agree in THIS case, you really need to get over it. There's more to music than vocals.

If I am listening to classical, celtic, orchestral scores, ambient music, etc., then of course the music is what I pay most attention to. In music with vocals though, the vocals are just as much a part of the music as the instruments are, and in fact are the lead instrument. Grunting is an atrocious instrument that I cannot tolerate nor recognize as having any type of musical quality or value to it. Much in the way how someone scraping their fingernails down a chalkboard would be and trying to pass it off as "music". Imagine a gangsta rapper coming in the middle of one of your favorite metal songs and talking about some nonsense and mispronouncing all the words. Or someone who just yodels. Grunting is not one iota more of an improvement over rapping/yodeling to my ears when it comes to music.

As far as "Nephilim", I don't really find the chorus that bad. I like how the vocals are layered and makes it sound more evil and I like how the melody is. But they just don't really go anywhere.

LifeDepraved, because I llike to hear a vocalist actually sing instead of trying to sound like a Sesame Street character, you assume that I listen to the radio or even the top 40? I cannot stand the crap that is on the radio nowadays and I haven't listened to it for years. Every band/song I listen to now is discovered solely through the internet on band forums or suggestions from websites/other people who know what type of music I enjoy. That does not mean I listen to top 40, nor does me liking some bands who just happen to find mainstream success. It means I listen to whatever sounds like music to me and that I want to hear actual singing. If I want to hear growling, then I will just tease my dog with a bone. I don't want it in "my" music.
Jack

The problem with your argument BlueSky, is that they wouldn't be "regressing" their sound. The only reason they "progressed" (I wouldn't call it progress), was because Jonas lost his ability to growl, not because he decided their sound was shit. With the more doomy guitars in Nephilim, it wouldn't be that unnatural to ya know...write a bit more doom.

Edit: And FlawedCoil you're completely missing the fucking point if you think growls are goofy. Then again you just said Nephilim sounded evil so I guess you don't listen to metal anyway.

As musicians, and songwriters they most certainly progressed. It doesn't matter why the first stopped using growls, but you listen to the guys, and they're happy about it now. The proof is that these days Jonas can growl, but he CHOOSES not to. Personally I'd like to see him open up a lot more because he has one of the greatest clean tones in the music game, but growling just wouldn't do his voice justice. What it comes down to is they don't have a song quite like Nephilim under their belts so no there's absolutely no need to retread old ground.