Night Is The New Day

Edit: And FlawedCoil you're completely missing the fucking point if you think growls are goofy. Then again you just said Nephilim sounded evil so I guess you don't listen to metal anyway.

Perhaps "sinister" is the better word? It has an eerie sound to it the way it starts and how the vocals are portrayed over the music (not so much during the verses though...those are more despair-filled).

October Tide was one of the best metal bands ever. Fucking supreme music.

The guy who growled on Grey Dawn was pretty fucking good too.
Yeah, Mårten Hansen has a pretty intense growl/scream. He used to sing in A Canorous Quintet (their album 'Silence of the World Beyond' is excellent) and now sings in This Ending (which features the exact same line-up as ACQ), but that band is OK at best.

i completely third or fourth or whatever that october tide, especially RWE, is supreme and the fact that jonas is practically worshiped for his amazing clean vox, doesn't mean there aren't some people who think that few could match the intensity of his growls and just want i bigger slice that the Ayreon bits. october tide revival would be sooooo cool, same with a new diobolical masq.

The proof is that these days Jonas can growl, but he CHOOSES not to.
He was always able to. The problem was and probably still is that he cannot do it for long without wrecking his vocal chords.
Everyone CAN growl to varying degrees of quality, but quite few can do this for like a whole concert worth of screaming.

The problem with your argument BlueSky, is that they wouldn't be "regressing" their sound. The only reason they "progressed" (I wouldn't call it progress), was because Jonas lost his ability to growl, not because he decided their sound was shit. With the more doomy guitars in Nephilim, it wouldn't be that unnatural to ya know...write a bit more doom.

Edit: And FlawedCoil you're completely missing the fucking point if you think growls are goofy. Then again you just said Nephilim sounded evil so I guess you don't listen to metal anyway.

Meh.. I get his point.
I personally enjoy some occasional emotional scream of some sorts, and the way Opeth for example uses growls is pretty awesome, but the "all grunts" music is very specific.
A lot of times it's just very silly if you ask me. Especially in music where there's no contrast or anything it totally loses its appeal to me. Also it's usually much too br00tal metal (for my taste) that uses it or it's this very theatrical doomy style.
What I like is when people overthink the use of growls and not just see it as mandatory because of the tradition in the genre. It's fine if you like it, but I really don't think you should overuse it. Unless you want to sound like a demon in every single song and that's the point you're trying to make. It's great for the musician who does that and thinks about it, but it's not really artistically admirable if you ask me.

And BOOO for you for belittling the evil-ness of Nephilim. I really like to believe it's a fact that songs like Nephilim are 8724096 times better at hitting the "evil" mark that 7894206 metal artists completely miss by not being musically qualified enough to express other emotions than random feeling-less hate/anger/whatever by grunting in a mic

hi folks, i haven't followed the complete discussion in this thread, but i just want to drop in and say that "night is the new day" is a pretty brilliant album.

I went for it because of the kudos mikael akerfeldt gave it and i must say he's right. this is truely katatonias new masterpiece after "last fair deal". though "Viva emptiness" was attempting to be grandiose they didn't quite manage and its a tough listen what with all its rough, disturbing edges. i haven't heard "the great cold distance" yet but from what i have heard it is pretty similar to "viva emptiness" without the disturbing touch. to me it sounds like with "night is the new day" they finally made the record they've been trying to make since "viva".

hi folks, i haven't followed the complete discussion in this thread, but i just want to drop in and say that "night is the new day" is a pretty brilliant album.

I went for it because of the kudos mikael akerfeldt gave it and i must say he's right. this is truely katatonias new masterpiece after "last fair deal". though "Viva emptiness" was attempting to be grandiose they didn't quite manage and its a tough listen what with all its rough, disturbing edges. i haven't heard "the great cold distance" yet but from what i have heard it is pretty similar to "viva emptiness" without the disturbing touch. to me it sounds like with "night is the new day" they finally made the record they've been trying to make since "viva".
I really don't know why people bash Viva. It's got some great songs IMO, a nice "urban" touch and it is a solid release.
You should listen to TGCD for sure! "Forsaker" (NiTND opener) kind of remind me of it.

I guess coming from a forum of people that would probably say Bloodbath is the pinnacle of death metal, you can't expect anyone to think growling music is emotional.

LifeDepraved, because I llike to hear a vocalist actually sing instead of trying to sound like a Sesame Street character, you assume that I listen to the radio or even the top 40? I cannot stand the crap that is on the radio nowadays and I haven't listened to it for years. Every band/song I listen to now is discovered solely through the internet on band forums or suggestions from websites/other people who know what type of music I enjoy. That does not mean I listen to top 40, nor does me liking some bands who just happen to find mainstream success. It means I listen to whatever sounds like music to me and that I want to hear actual singing. If I want to hear growling, then I will just tease my dog with a bone. I don't want it in "my" music.
Jack

I just think growling fits the music it's made for...you think you can hear someone doing falsettos over a Blasphemy or a Entombed track? I'm not growl elitist or anything, but when it sounds good, it sounds good. I mean c'mon...listen to CCR, that was growls back in the day imo...and that shit rocks.

And there's some bands with growlers I hate, but I can still enjoy the music...some COF for example. Very competent musicians, but I can only take so much Daniel Filth :D

Viva is way better...

And BOOO for you for belittling the evil-ness of Nephilim. I really like to believe it's a fact that songs like Nephilim are 8724096 times better at hitting the "evil" mark that 7894206 metal artists completely miss by not being musically qualified enough to express other emotions than random feeling-less hate/anger/whatever by grunting in a mic

I agree with your BOO, man. My thoughts exactly.

His thoughts are actually exactly correct. Nephilim is indeed evil compared to shit metal. That's what he said right?