Night Is The New Day

I have listened the album like 50+ times now and I just have to say that even how marvelous this record can be, it doesn't rise as big as TGCD is for me (not to mention other great albums like BMD or LFDGD). There are couple of tracks that I find myself skippin like Onward Into Battle and Idle Blood. Those tracks just doesn't hit me at all. But in the other side of the rainbow there's also maybe the best Katatonia tracks that I've heard like The Longest Year and New Night or The Promise of Deceit, ahh those songs are so beautiful and great. Especially The Promise of Deceit almost got a tear to my eye when I was walking home one quiet night when it was all dark and stuff. Somehow it's just so touching. Still NITND is the number one choice that i'll put playing if I feel like listening to some Katatonia though the couple three tracks that I almost everytime skip are there.

I would like to know your, fellow forum geeks, opinions on this record now when the starting crush has gone already.. or maybe it hasn't gone yet. Do you think its better than the previous one? Or do you think it's, like everyone hailed here when the album came out, the best katatonia album yet?

It's not that I don't like the album but my mind didn't change with all these spins. Couple of solid tracks and that's all... Nowhere near, LFDGD, TD, DO, VE or TGCD for me. But still I don't say it's a bad one, just OK.

I think it's their best (only just above LFDGD and TGCD) Skipping Idle Blood and Onward into Battle would be unthinkable to me!
Idle Blood is one of the best songs I have ever heard, and Onward into battle is one of the catchiest classiest songs they have written. My least fave off the album are The promise of Deceit, Liberation and Nephilim (I still love them though not as much as the rest).
This album will never age!

The songs I can skip (if I have to) are "Nephilim", "The Longest Year" and the second half of "Departer". But I prefer to listen to the cd as one whole collection instead of certain songs. "Onward Into Battle" has the catchiest chorus on the album for me...

I finally dislike a song from the album - Nephilim

Not sure what has turned me off it but it sounds a bit too dissonant for my liking.

And BOOO for you for belittling the evil-ness of Nephilim. I really like to believe it's a fact that songs like Nephilim are 8724096 times better at hitting the "evil" mark that 7894206 metal artists completely miss by not being musically qualified enough to express other emotions than random feeling-less hate/anger/whatever by grunting in a mic

I agree with this to a certain extent. I'm not one to say that if it doesn't have screams or growls then it's not evil. I believe it's more in the music itself than the vocals...Which is probably the point you wanted to get across anyways, but bands like Varathron, Necromantia, Rotting Christ, Dissection...Pretty much the early Greek/Swedish Black/Death Metal scenes have some really evil sounding atmosphere. If the more extreme sides of metal aren't you poison, and you don't take it in the right way, then I can see how you can pass it off as rubbish.

<3

That's why I added the last sentence. Some people get it and are into it, some people don't like it and I respect that, but some people pass it off as trash because the vocals are harsh, so automatically the music sucks.

I find most bands who do that stuff to try too hard to fit into the uncreative generic view of what your grandmother thought was blasphemous thirty years ago. 666!!!!!! Fukkk Christ in the earrr! MURDER DEATH KILL!!! ARRRRR!

HAHA. Don't kill me people! At least I give most things a fair shot before passing it off.

I find most bands who do that stuff to try too hard to fit into the uncreative generic view of what your grandmother thought was blasphemous thirty years ago. 666!!!!!! Fukkk Christ in the earrr! MURDER DEATH KILL!!! ARRRRR!

HAHA. Don't kill me people! At least I give most things a fair shot before passing it off.

C'mon now, I'm not talking about the usual victims. And this is the view of adults that listen to contemporary rock.

More or less it's what you get from the music...I mean shit, I can dance like a moron to Lady Gaga, get drunk and go crazy to Blasphemy, and drink coffee and smoke a cig to some Bright Eyes.

Anyways...this is a subject for another forum...

I look forward to the single :D

For some reason I can only manage to listen completely to Forsaker, Longest Year, Onward...., Liberation, Ashen, and Departer...

Without God anyone? :D

The dislikes of NITND songs "this isnt good compared to that" absolutely amazes me, in my opinion of course. All songs are fantastic on this album, I can't pass up a single one. To me, it's their 2nd perfect album alongside LFDGD.