Nightmares by the sea

Skaldir

formerly known as Unicorn
Nov 3, 2001
Germany
www.kalthallen.de
Hello everyone,
as you all may know, the drums on "Tonight's Decison" were played by Dan Swanö. (my favourite musician ever, by the way)
But on the track "Nightmares by the sea" I think a drum machine is playing. I'm pretty sure. Please let me know what you think.

hmmm, interesting idea. To be honest I haven't noticed it, but next time I get to put it on I'll see what I think... (the stereo is occupied with other metal at the moment!!)

I would have thought it was just Swano, but who knows!

well im not a professional drum thingy person so in short i dont know, all i can say is that seeing as its a cover song, it could have been recorded before ie. at an ealier date to when Dan came to the studio to play, in short i havent got a clue.

Between the verses i do think that they used a drum computer but when it gets to the refrain it's really hard to tell because of the cymbals,the snare sounds a little bit more dynamic then imo(like i said,can be due to the cymbals)

Being a drummer myself (and having recorded several triggered tracks in studio), I´m almost certain that it´s Dan playing a triggered drumset... it´s him playing, but the impulses on the skins are received by sensors... the sounds are then "implemented" at will with a special synth.

Even if I´m not correct, it´s true that the sound in this track is less "organic" than the rest.

Well, why would Swano have triggered the drums for that track alone?

It doesn't seem to make much sense.... It's not as if Katatonia need crisp, clean blast beats or anything!

But I don't really understand the technology properly, so maybe you're right!

They could want that drum feel for this track only, or they may have recorded it at another time different from the rest of the album...

I don't think it's triggered. It's played to "balanced" and clean for a real drummer. I think it's well programmed, and I think it was more a lack of time and somebody of Katatonia programmed it. Swanö had only 1 Day for playing the whole album!