No love for Relapse lately?

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
I haven't heard much about the new Nile or the new Unsane around here. I'm trying to decide if I should get either. I'm a little burnt our on death metal, and the UM review of the new Nile didn't get me too excited.

now that there are some vacanices at RC :loco:, I vote for J to pick up the slack and do some reviews.

I actually enjoyed his writing at his Apropriate Apocalypse days ... and it is through that zine that I found my way here.

+ he likes Nile, I don't understand why, but he does :loco:

I think Relapse is my favorite label now. They've had several great releases this year, "Anomalies" is my number one album for this year, and ive been listening to the new Origin and Nile far to much lately.

JayKeeley said:
Go read my Rudra review and get that instead (or before, or as well as).

EDIT: By the way, the new Nile album would get a 7.5/10 from me.

totally agree, and I would even give it a 7.
just because I'm very hard to please when it comes to a good death metal album :cool:

btw, agreed with En Vind: I love Relapse!!!

Sorry lurch, I'm retired. ;)

Funny coincidence, since I don't buy many new CDs (lots of trades, though) these days, I decided to listen to them by record label, and Relapse was first. Lots of AMorphis and Nile, and some Mindrot, Morgion, ALabama Thunderpussy, Pan Thy Monium, Neurosis, Today is the Day, Red Harvest, Breach, Brutal Truth and Disembowelment. Good label, though I'm their newer releases can't match their older stuff.

Yeah, new Rudra is btter than new Nile.

Is that one Nile sample posted awhile back indicative of the whole album? It was sorely missing Tony Laureano. I don't know if they will ever top Darkened Shrines, that album is just so amazing in every possible way.

Relapse is cool because they have fucked up bands. I don't know who Unsane are. Sounds... lemony.

Listening to Morgion's "AMong Majestic Ruin". think this might be their finest moment, seriously. THis sounds great. The production is a little off, for you production nazis.

Solinari and AMR are doom/death at it's finest.

Damn. I wouldn't go that far. Alabama Thunderpussy, Neurosis, Nile, Unsane, and Today is the Day are all worth a listen. Halo didn't impress me. But I just don't get the hype around a lot of Relapse bands: Mastodon, DEP, Cephalic Carnage, Nasum, Pig Destroyer, Uphill Battle, Burnt By the Sun. And some bands on Relapse are downright atrocious: Dying Fetus and Origin, to name two I'm familiar with.

But that alumni roster is nice: Morgion, Mindrot, Disembowelment, Brutal Truth, Amorphis, Pan Thy Monium, Incantation, Human Remains, Coalesce.

Nate The Great said:
I'm a little burnt our on death metal, and the UM review of the new Nile didn't get me too excited.

I gave it an 8/10 in that review, but it barely got that. After writing that review, I thought, This is one of the worst reviews I've ever written. The inspiration just wasn't there, which speaks volumes about the album I suppose? :cry:

Buried Inside rule, though. :headbang:

J. said:
Damn. I wouldn't go that far. Alabama Thunderpussy, Neurosis, Nile, Unsane, and Today is the Day are all worth a listen. Halo didn't impress me. But I just don't get the hype around a lot of Relapse bands: Mastodon, DEP, Cephalic Carnage, Nasum, Pig Destroyer, Uphill Battle, Burnt By the Sun. And some bands on Relapse are downright atrocious: Dying Fetus and Origin, to name two I'm familiar with.

But that alumni roster is nice: Morgion, Mindrot, Disembowelment, Brutal Truth, Amorphis, Pan Thy Monium, Incantation, Human Remains, Coalesce.

Mastodon - highlight of the Download festival last weekend for me. Absolutely jaw-droppingly amazing band.

The Dillinger Escape Plan - Genius. My mind boggles at how they could possibly come up with the shit they do. I own everything they've released, and regularly listen to all of it.

Cephalic Carnage - great band, but not as life-affirming as people seem to make out. The metalcore piss-take track 'Dying Will Be The Death Of Me' on the new album is a giggle, though.

Nasum - Best. Grind. Ever.

Pig Destroyer - Baudellaire-esque lyrics, lead-heavy riffage sans bass (sorry NAD), and that Surround Sound audio DVD on 'Terrifyer'... whoa

Uphill Battle - haven't heard yet, anyone know what they're like?

Burnt By The Sun - two words. Dave Witte. :)

We have another fan here it seems ^^

Relapse mix good and less good for my tastes , but their catalogue is a little overpraised : Mastodon & Dep which I own most releases are overrated to me , they are still very enjoyable. Cephalic Carnage , Pig Destroyer etc.. are good but at the end of the day it dosen't have enough substance to keep me interested for months so ..)

Not too keen on Nile , Unsane and Nasum , although they are quality bands.