No Mastering For Maiden

Krilons Resa

Jerry's married?!
Nov 7, 2002
Inside dorian's gym bag.
from Blabbermouth...

Producer Kevin Shirley (IRON MAIDEN, DREAM THEATER) has posted the following message on his official web site:

Spoke to 'Arry [IRON MAIDEN bassist Steve Harris] on Friday, who has decided against mastering the IRON MAIDEN album, and I'm quite pleased about that, although I did like the mastering job we did in [New York City]. It means that you will get to hear the new album exactly as it sounded in the studio, no added EQ, compression, analog widening, etc., and I must say, I am pretty happy with the end result. I think some tracks could use a smidge more top end, and others a bump of bottom — but I know 'Arry well enough now to know how wary of outsiders he is, and I fully expected he may have done that, so I made sure I was happy with the results when I printed the mixes in the studio. So, that'll fire you guys on the BB's right up, no doubt!
smile.gif

"He's off taking a break before all hell breaks loose and the Beast is back on the road, and I, for one, plan to see the shows when they hit the States in the fall. Just a word of advice, make sure you've listened to the album a number of times before you come to a show — it'll make the concert experience unforgetable!"

bloke is bloody barmy. steve harris needs to learn to get the fuck off the sound board and play his god damn bass guitar. this is going to be a disaster

yeah, that's my point...

keving shirley is so shit that for him to see issues with this production means that the production is going to be REALLY bad

it makes no sense, they should be going back to Martin Birch style, not Nordland I & II style.

Really good guy behind mixing-console could have done a great job and the record would sound great without mastering it, but if Shirley is behind the mix, you'd need the best guy available for mastering, haha.

Erik said:
could go either way really.. at least dance of death didn't sound as fundamentally fucking bollocks as brave new world

not mastering a commercial release is practically fucking unheard of, and that's because good mastering IS a good idea
what was wrong with the way BNW sounded? I thought it sounded quite good, care to explain?

stop being a smartass, I actually haven't listened to the album in years and thought it sounded good at that time.