Non-gay bro thread a.k.a. Random offtopic stuff.

I'm not sure. They sound like the American bands that were influenced by the Gothenburg bands.

I have some stuff by them on Spotify. They're not bad. Can't stand the production on that album, though.

Now, I've been on a 90's Norwegian black metal kick lately and let me tell you, Nattens Madrigal is the epitome of good metal production. :cool:

Great album, all kidding aside

Reactions: galvanized
I'm not sure. They sound like the American bands that were influenced by the Gothenburg bands.

They are Swedish actually! But yeah, leaning a bit more towards metalcore than I'd prefer as well. I think they had potential though. I quite like the vocalist.

I have some stuff by them on Spotify. They're not bad. Can't stand the production on that album, though.

Now, I've been on a 90's Norwegian black metal kick lately and let me tell you, Nattens Madrigal is the epitome of good metal production. :cool:

Great album, all kidding aside

The shitty production of old school black metal has a charm of sorts. It doesn't bother me. The bad production probably hides how terrible some of the actual music is :D I was never a huge fan of that kind of music though, and I'm still not. I'm partial to some older Emperor, Darkthrone, Satyricon or Dimmu Borgir but that's really as far as I go in terms of black metal.

So I actually had no idea last.fm keeps records going back to 2006 :D I used to 'scrobble' all the time back then. It's actually incredible how much music I was listening to in the mid-to-late 2000s. Literally 7-8 hours of non-stop music in some cases according to last.fm.

Anyway, for a giggle here are my top artists/tracks for September 2006-2010 (my scrobbling activity died down a lot after this) and also a comparison to the last 3 months, as I have slowly started to scrobble again, albeit nowhere near as much as I used to. Worth noting this doesn't include what I would have been listening to on my mp3 player, which would account for a ton more tracks. This is just what I was listening to when I was at my PC.

September 2006

Top Artists

1. In Flames
2. Linkin Park
3. Nobuo Uematsu
4. Dark Tranquillity
5. All That Remains

Top Tracks

1. Linkin Park - Numb (38 scrobbles)
2. All That Remains - This Calling (36 scrobbles)
3. Billy Talent - Red Flag (31 scrobbles)
4. Stone Sour - Through Glass (29 scrobbles)
5. Atreyu - Bleeding Mascara (27 scrobbles)

All I can say is WTF.

September 2007

Top Artists

1. Dark Tranquillity
2. In Flames
3. Michael Jackson
4. Scar Symmetry
5. Kamelot

Top Tracks

1. Scar Symmetry - Mind Machine (62 scrobbles)
2. Michael Jackson - Heal the World (43 scrobbles)
3. Dream Evil - Blind Evil (31 scrobbles)
4. Blind Guardian - A Past and Future Secret (27 scrobbles)
5. Rise Against - Dancing for Rain (27 scrobbles)

Not sure what to say about MJ, but this was the month after Bloodstock and I remember being blown away by hearing Mind Machine and Blind Evil live.

September 2008

Top Artists

1. Saint Daemon (by a huge margin, 447 scrobbles)
2. In Flames
3. Miley Cyrus ... ?
4. Abatoir
5. All That Remains

Top Tracks

1. Miley Cyrus - See You Again (98 scrobbles... what the fuck? I don't even remember this song)
2. Saint Daemon - My Sorrow (89 scrobbles)
3. Saint Daemon - Black Symphony (82 scrobbles)
4. Saint Daemon - Run For Your Life (53 scrobbles)
5. Saint Daemon - Daemons (45 scrobbles)

I had seen Saint Daemon at Bloodstock 2008 and been absolutely floored by how much I loved their sound. I was obsessed with them for a while after this. Their first two albums are still two of my all time favourites. I can't answer why I was also obsessed with that Miley Cyrus song.

September 2009

Top Artists

1. Nanaki's View
2. Sabaton
3. Cellador
4. Powerglove
5. In Flames

Top Tracks

1. Nanaki's View - Cid's Theme (54 scrobbles)
2. Nanaki's View - Ahead on Our Way (38 scrobbles)
3. Powerglove - Omnishred (We're Gonna Need a Bigger Sword) (34 scrobbles)
4. Sabaton - Cliffs of Gallipoli (34 scrobbles)
5. Pet Shop Boys - Go West (30 scrobbles)

Seems I was feeling Final Fantasy music around this time. No idea why the Pet Shop Boys are in the top five.

September 2010

Top Artists

1. Falconer
2. Nobou Uematsu
3. Yuki Kajiura
4. Bobby Brown
5. Kamelot

(In Flames way down in 25th with only 7 scrobbles)

Top Tracks

1. Falconer - Portals of Light (34 scrobbles)
2. Bobby Brown - Two Can Play That Game (22 scrobbles)
3. Falconer - Catch the Shadows (20 scrobbles)
4. Falconer - Perjury and Sanctity (19 scrobbles)
5. Falconer - The Clarion Call (14 scrobbles)

In September 2010 I was clearly on a major Falconer kick. Great band though!

July - September 2021

Top Artists

1. Nitrate
2. Hi-sCoool! Seha Girls (lame, I know)
3. Powerwolf
4. Dragony
5. Daryl Hall & Sounds of Blackness

Top Tracks

1. Hi-sCoool! Seha Girls - セハガガガンバッちゃう!! (44 scrobbles)
2. Nitrate - Children of the Lost Brigade (43 scrobbles)
3. Hi-sCoool! Seha Girls - 若い力 -SEGA HARD GIRLS MIX- (42 scrobbles)
4. Nitrate - Renegade (38 scrobbles)
5. Daryl Hall & Sounds of Blackness - Gloryland (27 scrobbles)

I'm not sure if this is better or worse than Miley Cyrus. Probably worse. Stupid catchy anime songs. Nitrate are cool though.

For a less month-centric view, my top bands/tracks per year, as above...

Artists

1. In Flames (1117)
2. Nobou Uematsu (780)
3. Linkin Park (246)
4. Trivium (210)
5. Dark Tranquillity (170)

Tracks
1. Trivium - Dying in Your Arms (124)
2. HIM - Rip Out the Wings of a Butterfly (92)
3. Linkin Park - Numb (90)
4. All That Remains - This Calling (87)
5. Stone Sour - Through Glass (87)

Artists

1. In Flames (1098)
2. Altaria (662)
3. Kamelot (609)
4. Nobou Uematsu (490)
5. Freedom Call (478)

Tracks
1. Altaria - Unchain the Rain (258)
2. Iron Fire - The End of It All (224)
3. My Chemical Romance - This is How I Disappear (168)
4. Caliban - It's Our Burden to Bleed (130)
5. Stone Sour - Zzyxz Rd. (128)

Artists

1. In Flames (2424)
2. Saint Daemon (1518)
3. Power Quest (1044)
4. Nobou Uematsu (998)
5. Visions of Atlantis (416)

Tracks
1. Saint Daemon - My Sorrow (282)
2. Revolution Renaissance - Last Night on Earth (272)
3. Apoptygma Berzerk - In This Together (251)
4. In Flames - The Mirror's Truth (225)
5. Power Quest - Kings of Eternity (223)

Artists

1. Edguy (467)
2. Britney Spears (466) - what the fuck
3. In Flames (460)
4. Nobou Uematsu (393)
5. Dream Evil (382)

Tracks
1. Cheryl Cole - Fight For This Love (236)
2. Josh Radin - Winter (168)
3. Katatonia - My Twin (153)
4. Britney Spears - Overprotected (126)
5. Ayreon - The Truth is in Here (115)

Artists

1. Freedom Call (631)
2. Allen - Lande (565)
3. Avantasia (454)
4. Nobou Uematsu (440)
5. Rise Against (375)

Tracks
1. Allen - Lande - Truth About Our Time (157)
2. Freedom Call - Merlin Requiem (137)
3. Bobby Brown - Two Can Play That Game (126)
4. Avantasia - Dying For an Angel (120)
5. Rise Against - Hero of War (116)

2021 (June-Sept)

Artists
1. Nitrate (119)
2. Hi-sCoool! Seha Girls (86)
3. Powerwolf (39)
4. Dragony (38)
5. Saint Daemon (31)

Tracks
1. Hi-sCoool! Seha Girls - セハガガガンバッちゃう!! (44 scrobbles)
2. Nitrate - Children of the Lost Brigade (43 scrobbles)
3. Hi-sCoool! Seha Girls - 若い力 -SEGA HARD GIRLS MIX- (42 scrobbles)
4. Nitrate - Renegade (38 scrobbles)
5. Daryl Hall & Sounds of Blackness - Gloryland (27 scrobbles)

So the only conclusions I can draw from this is that apparently I was on drugs and/or gay in 2009, and I think during the 2006-2010 period I may have loved Nobou Uematsu's Final Fantasy soundtracks even more than In Flames. Kind of interesting that IF are, other than 2010, always in my top 5 artists and yet other than The Mirror's Truth (for some reason) don't have individual songs in my top 5. I guess it's a testament to how much I love/loved their entire discography, not just specific tracks or albums.

I really spent far too long doing this.

Last edited:
They are Swedish actually!
That makes it... Bad. Just my opinion, of course. Because then they're being influenced by the people being influenced by Swedish bands.

I'm not a big fan of the melodeath that tends to mix with metalcore.

I dunno, they started in 2000 so I think they probably just went with a style they preferred. I'd agree that generally speaking metalcore tends to dilute MDM. I like some of those bands, but usually only one album or a scattering of songs. I rarely want to listen to their entire discography as for metalcore bands it tends to get boring kind of fast. Shadows Fall immediately spring to mind. Some good songs, a lot of boring songs.

Reactions: eochaid

New Arch Enemy. Nothing special imo. Sounds a bit heavier and less melodic than the stuff on Will to Power.

@galvanized have you heard of Beast in Black? I just listened to their Dark Connection album and it might be my favourite album of the year, despite being absolutely ridiculous in almost every way :D

More traditional PM style song with major 80s vibe:

Eurodance meets PM, this one's for @eochaid :cool:

A couple of tracks more in the typical PM vein:

And even a Michael Jackson cover :D

Eochaid and A88's dream album, right here!

I've been listening to that album pretty much non-stop for the last month! I love pretty much every song except the last two, My Dystopia and Battle Hymn (Manowar cover) which I tend to skip. I linked a bunch of songs from the album a few posts up. 'Moonlight Rendezvous' has ended up being my favourite so far.

Apparently the song is based on an anime Armitage III - which I've never seen.

Apparently the album is also based on Cyber City Oedo 808, so that gives me something new to watch.

upload_2021-11-30_18-4-43.png

Fair to say Beast in Black have been in heavy rotation for me the last month, and that's not even including when I've been out listening to the album on my phone! It's really rare for me, but sometimes an album just hits my preferences perfectly. The last time it happened was probably when I first heard The Nexus, which was around 2017 I think.

They're a band that don't take themselves too seriously, but they do what they do very well. Also I think the vocalist is incedibly impressive. He's got an amazing range. At first I thought Moonlight Rendezvous had a female guest vocalist, but it's the same guy, and he still sounds great.

Honestly though I'm just a sucker for these cyberpunk/80s themed metal albums :rofl:

Something else I've noticed whilst listening to Beast in Black - often parts of the verses are even catchier and more memorable than the choruses. A lot of bands treat the verses as kind of throwaway, or just a buildup to the chorus, but BiB have vocal and instrumental hooks in the verses which are sometimes even catchier than the choruses and just as memorable.

Example, Highway to Mars:

Whilst the chorus is decent and memorable enough, the first verse between 00:29 - 01:09 and the second verse between 01:50 - 02:10 are the highlights of the track for me. Those vocal melodies and the instruments beneath them are so well crafted that they get stuck in my head even more than the chorus.

One Night in Tokyo is similar - the chorus is simplistic and easy to remember, but the verses are where the power resides. Especially the first lines of that track - "Dangerous attraction, femme fatale in action, the most beautiful mistake of my life. She's a neon flower, pure seduction power".

This is where modern IF often falls down. The choruses are often fairly simplistic earworms, but the verses usually leave a lot to be desired. I really appreciate how BiB pay attention to all sections of the song, and make them equally important. Even the instrumental sections fit perfectly with the songs they're a part of, and don't sound tacked on as 'generic electronics/solo #55'. Every part of the song has a purpose and even though on the surface the songs on Dark Connection sound like simple, catchy metal songs, you realise how much effort as been put into them when you enjoy the entirety of the music, not just certain sections.

That's good. I like bands who treat every part of the songs with love and care.

This is the less themselves and more interesting thing (to me) that they have done in a long time.

Reactions: mindd