Non-gay bro thread a.k.a. Random offtopic stuff.

So you finally understand why we were banging our heads against a wall when it came to you during the SC days.
I precisely, albeit indirectly explained why I did NOT understand your headbanging. I haven't regarded SC as the pinnacle of the band, I never said they deserve plus points for experimenting, and I sympathized with those whose thirst are not quenched by a moody record like SC.
I haven't listened to Slipknot since Vol. 3 was new, but I hear very good things about We Are Not Your Kind.
You should absolutely listen to it. I'm also a Vol 3 guy, but WNYK is surprisingly good.

Reactions: ThePhobiac
I'm sorry, but how old are you if AOL and WNYK were what made you into a Slipknot fan in the first place? :D

The vocals just being there is a very apt description. It's also true that the record isn't exactly bad per se, like how people hate SC or Battles from IF, because it doesn't stray far from what makes Slipknot Slipknot, but it's like listening to a collection of B-sides. You nod your hand understandingly as to why they never made onto any record, you hear some good ideas here and there, then forget about them entirely. Instead it's being packaged as this brand new record.

I'm aslo going mental from all the "it's experimental!!" fanboyism. Motherfuckers, the singer of Stone Sour and Slipknot making a record which sounds like the mix of Stone Sour and Slipknot is NOT experimental.

And I swear to god, whenever a popular band like them make an objectively bad record, fanboys turn on the heat and take a ride on the most extreme hyperboles. You'd expect people to be vocal about them still liking this record despite the hate, but holy fuck reddit is filled with "I genuinely think this is the best Slipknot album ever" and such. How? Why? This need of overcompensation makes me puke. Sure, I defended SC for what it was and expressed that I dig it, but I never deluded myself into thinking it's actually IF's best record ever.

Seriously, as I got older, I had to realize that the worst thing about everything is their fans. The moment I follow or subscribe to any fan forum or subreddit about the movies, tv shows, personalities, music I like, I want to set the world on fire. I don't think I have ever bonded with someone based on our taste in something. I vividly remember telling a roommate of mine that I like NIN and he probably does not know them. He said he knows them and he likes a few songs from them as well. Neat. That's pretty much where the conversation ended, and while we ended up being on good terms for those 3 months, it had nothing to do with him also liking my favorite band.

Honestly, the only proper benefit of fanpages are the insider informations and materials. Having to deal with all the morons is just collateral damage.

In my 20s. Somehow, despite having grown up on nu-metal, I completely missed Slipknot, and I have no idea how. It would've been awesome to have been listening to the self-titled and Iowa when I was younger, but instead I was stuck with goddamn Disturbed until I started branching out more. I don't necessarily regret my old taste in music, but I do think that listening to In Flames back in 2016-17 for the first time absolutely opened my eyes to truly fantastic music- At least after I listened to their stuff that wasn't from Battles or SC, which I did pretty much immediately after finding out about their existence.

I completely agree about the fanboy bullshit, I always hate that sort of thing. Same shit happened with Eternal Blue by Spiritbox. That album is fucking mid tier, and it's arguably the least good out of all their stuff, yet everyone I've talked to about it has praised it as one of the best modern metalcore releases ever. That being said, I do think there's some experimentation (Ex. "Adderall", "Finale"), but after listening to some of WANYK last night, I've come to realize that "A Liar's Funeral" and "Spiders" (As well as all the interludes, which I'm probably the only fan of) were also just as experimental for the band, so I guess that leaves me without one of the big positives I had to give to The End. It's not even close to their best album though, and I don't feel that it would've been, even if every song was on "H377"'s level. Considering that I've heard great things about every album aside from .5: The Gray Chapter, you could genuinely make an argument for any of the rest of them over The End. I also can't express how much I completely agree with that last paragraph.

Reactions: Jester Slave
In Flames is the perfect gateway band away from nu metal and into, well, actually good metal, lol. Not to say nu metal can't be good, of course, but there's usually little incentive for a nu metal fan to peer into other metal genres.

Then again, most Slipknot fans I knew back in high school thought In Flames was garbage when I showed them Colony and Reroute. :D

I listened to Disturbed prior to my In Flamezination, but I still have a soft spot for Believe and Ten-Thousand Fists. Believe especially stands out from the nu metal crowd with some pretty interesting riffs and its overall laid-back vibe (imo it has a bit of a Passenger vibe to it).

Reactions: Xpyro125
I think Disturbed was a really fun band, but first they got kinda stale by the point of Asylum and Immortalized, then after their Sound of Silence hit they went to shit. Suddenly they were making cheesy ass ballads and motivational songs, fuck that shit.

.5 is not that bad. Devil in i, killpop, nomadic, one that kills the least, custer, negative one and if rain is what you want are pretty decent. I think All Hope Is Gone aged the worst.

I never went through a nu metal phase. It was pretty much directly into IF, DT, Soilwork, AE, Emperor and Dimmu Borgir around late-99/early-00. Before that I didn't really care that much about music. I vaguely remember liking In the End (Linkin Park) and My Sacrifice (Creed, lol), but not enough to make me want to buy those bands' albums or check out that genre of music beyond those songs. It wasn't until I heard OFTW that a style of music really hooked me in. Shortly after that I got into Power Metal as well, but funnily enough that was also down to IF. I was searching for their songs on Kazaa or something and came across Dream Evil's 'In Flames You Burn'.

Cool story bro etc

I never went through a nu metal phase. It was pretty much directly into IF, DT, Soilwork, AE, Emperor and Dimmu Borgir around late-99/early-00. Before that I didn't really care that much about music. I vaguely remember liking In the End (Linkin Park) and My Sacrifice (Creed, lol), but not enough to make me want to buy those bands' albums or check out that genre of music beyond those songs. It wasn't until I heard OFTW that a style of music really hooked me in. Shortly after that I got into Power Metal as well, but funnily enough that was also down to IF. I was searching for their songs on Kazaa or something and came across Dream Evil's 'In Flames You Burn'.

Cool story bro etc

Same. I've always very much disliked nu metal. Almost everyone I know who is into heavy music liked or still likes nu metal and I just don't get it. Most of what I've heard is just so bad. Disturbed, Coal Chamber, Korn, Powerman 5000, Mudvayne, Drowning Pool, the list goes on. Even Slipknot, who some don't consider nu metal (I absolutely think they are)... I can't stand it. It's amazing to me that newer bands still pop up too. Back in the late 90s when I was a teenager, if you told me those bands would still be around, I would have called you a fucking liar.

Nu metal... everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

Lol yeah, seeing Slipknot revered as metal legends at Wacken was pretty surreal. I don't mind a few nu metal songs (generally the well known, somewhat commercial tracks) but the genre leaves me cold for the most part. Not interesting or melodic enough for my tastes.

I like a few Slipknot songs for every album. Enough for a full setlist. They're a pretty energetic band so it makes a good live.

This said, my favourite album must be All Hope Is Gone. Specially because of the more "trash/death" influenced songs.

I also don't think that they're as bad as some people might imply. At least, I don't think that they're far worse or terrible than bands like (don't judge me) Metallica. They have their place in the history of music and they sound like a real metal act, not like Disturbed or Limp Bizkit or many of those Nu Metal bands.

Anders Bjorler is back in At the Gates, for all those who never thought there was a path for Carl Naslund to return to In Flames.

I respect what Slipknot has done, I just really don't like their music. I think as a vocalist Corey Taylor is really good, but the music itself just doesn't grab me. I have flashbacks to the late-90's/early 00's every time I hear them. Kids with giant pants and eyeliner, generic downtuned riffs, cringy lyrics that rival the worst pop-country music in existence. It's like I'm a war veteran having these really bad flashbacks. PTSD all over the place.

As far as Bjorler rejoining ATG, that's interesting. He's made some pretty good calls on leaving bands at the right time. Leaving The Haunted was a good idea. This might be too little too late for ATG at this point, but who knows.

I can't listen to ATG with current vocals, they just don't work for me. I think this is Bjorler's 4th run with ATG now, so I guess we'll see how long it lasts this time.

In Flames is the perfect gateway band away from nu metal and into, well, actually good metal, lol. Not to say nu metal can't be good, of course, but there's usually little incentive for a nu metal fan to peer into other metal genres.

Then again, most Slipknot fans I knew back in high school thought In Flames was garbage when I showed them Colony and Reroute. :D

I listened to Disturbed prior to my In Flamezination, but I still have a soft spot for Believe and Ten-Thousand Fists. Believe especially stands out from the nu metal crowd with some pretty interesting riffs and its overall laid-back vibe (imo it has a bit of a Passenger vibe to it).

I think Disturbed was a really fun band, but first they got kinda stale by the point of Asylum and Immortalized, then after their Sound of Silence hit they went to shit. Suddenly they were making cheesy ass ballads and motivational songs, fuck that shit.

.5 is not that bad. Devil in i, killpop, nomadic, one that kills the least, custer, negative one and if rain is what you want are pretty decent. I think All Hope Is Gone aged the worst.

Yeah, Disturbed was my favorite band back before I listened to In Flames, and I'm kind of ashamed to admit not so much that I liked them, but that they were my favorite. I have a weird view of their music in that the sheer lack of ballads (Save for "Darkness" and "Overburdened") in their discography up until "The Sound of Silence" seriously backfired on them, especially when Evolution came out. My top three for them switches around all the time, but I have it locked down to Ten Thousand Fists, Asylum, and Immortalized. The only song I don't like off Asylum is "The Animal", but while the first half is big and bombastic, they just go back to being their norm by the second half. I love every song, even now, but there's something the first half has that just makes it shine. Ten Thousand Fists is Ten Thousand Fists, I really don't need to explain that one. Immortalized is probably at the top for me though, it's just a great album all around with a lot of variety, at least for Disturbed. I know that's probably the lowest bar to clear in the history of music, but I appreciate it nonetheless. Their cover of "The Sound of Silence" is fucking beautiful too. I will die on that hill.

Indestructible would've been my least favorite album with how fucking confused in direction it is, but Evolution happened. This is where my weird view of them comes in: I actually love the ballads on it, especially since they were originally going to do an acoustic EP instead of an album following Immortalized, and I think that part works well (Particularly with "Uninvited Guest"), though they had way too many ballads on the album. It definitely feels like the success of their cover got into the album though. That being said, for me, it's the 'heavy' songs on Evolution that did nothing for me, and they still don't even for the upcoming album. They've lost their magic when it comes to writing heavier songs, and even the guitar solos feel stale. The lyrics have always had a big political presence to them, but the anthemic feel of the lyrics for Evolution and onward just feels forced and stale- And considering that they're trying to go for a "Fuck your political leaning, we need to be good towards each other" platform for the new album, I don't have high hopes for it being fun or diverse instrumentally or lyrically. If they had stopped after Immortalized, I feel like they would've gone out on a massive high note. It was a modern Disturbed album that felt fresh and awesome, whereas modern Disturbed now just feels bland and "awesome". Dave doesn't even have the fucking chin piercings anymore. Shit's fucked.

Same. I've always very much disliked nu metal. Almost everyone I know who is into heavy music liked or still likes nu metal and I just don't get it. Most of what I've heard is just so bad. Disturbed, Coal Chamber, Korn, Powerman 5000, Mudvayne, Drowning Pool, the list goes on. Even Slipknot, who some don't consider nu metal (I absolutely think they are)... I can't stand it. It's amazing to me that newer bands still pop up too. Back in the late 90s when I was a teenager, if you told me those bands would still be around, I would have called you a fucking liar.

Nu metal... everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

My favorite thing when it comes to nu-metal is the massive bass presence in it, particularly with so many slap basses. I fucking love the bass, and that's probably a conversation that I could go on for hours about if given the time (Which I'm never going to have these days). I haven't listened to Coal Chamber or Power Man, but I'd absolutely argue for (some) Korn and Mudvayne. The latter's especially grown on me since they have some crazy progressive shit, especially on L.D. 50. Everybody knows "Dig", sure, but "Death Blooms" is a genuinely phenomenal song that really should be heard more. It's also before Chad's clean vocals became really gravel-y, so it's actually rather pleasant to hear his singing. One other really cool thing is hearing other band members who don't typically do vocals get to chime in every so often. Head growled in "Ball Tongue" (I genuinely don't know why he doesn't do any vocals for Korn now, especially considering that he's seriously refined his vocals over the years), and both Clown and Chris Fehn did harsh vocals in "This Cold Black". I don't know, I just find that really fucking cool.

That being said though, it is a really simple subgenre, especially in terms of the guitarwork (I know Head said at one point that Korn had simpler guitars because they just weren't good enough at it to get more technical), but I think that works out for it. I personally think that groove metal is like nu-metal for people who want heavier, trver metal, or thrash but slower, but what do I know. I don't think I've listened to any modern nu-metal bands, aside from trying to listening to a couple and not feeling them at all. It's kinda like classic rock where I feel that you're just not going to get anything quite like what used to be. Though I think we can all agree that Limp Bizkit is a scourge upon humanity that should've been eradicated as soon as it formed. I know that 99% of that is just Fred Durst, but he really is that awful. "Hold On" is the only genuinely good song they have, and I'd still take an instrumental version of that over one with vocals if I could. Horrible singer, rapper, frontman, and face of the band, and it's such a shame because the guys otherwise do have talent. I seriously recommend Wes Borland's industrial side project, Black Light Burns (Particularly their debut album). "Iodine Sky" is something I just don't know how to put into words. It might be a boring listen to some, but I fucking love it.

I like a few Slipknot songs for every album. Enough for a full setlist. They're a pretty energetic band so it makes a good live.

This said, my favourite album must be All Hope Is Gone. Specially because of the more "trash/death" influenced songs.

I also don't think that they're as bad as some people might imply. At least, I don't think that they're far worse or terrible than bands like (don't judge me) Metallica. They have their place in the history of music and they sound like a real metal act, not like Disturbed or Limp Bizkit or many of those Nu Metal bands.

"This Cold Black" was the first song I listened to after "All Out Life", and holy shit, it blew my fucking mind- Still does. Wikipedia says they go more towards groove metal on it, which is seriously up my alley, but "This Cold Black" being as high octane thrash as it is is nothing short of absolutely fucking awesome. I seriously need to listen to the rest of All Hope is Gone sometime.

I have to resign to the fact that nu-metal undoubtedly killed rock and metal in the mainstream. The simpler playing, the controversies, the lesser talent, second wave/copycat bands... And Fred Durst, all killed the wave of rock and metal, and I think that's something that only really started coming back around 2016 or so (Funnily enough, the same year that nu-metal started really coming back too). That being said, as simple as it may be for the most part, when nu-metal bands try getting progressive, they're pretty cool at straying from the standard path, and when they try to be heavy, you get some really heavy shit. Slipknot fits into the latter in such a way that there's very little that reaches them for me. They're no Anaal Nathrakh or Endon, sure, but something like "Disasterpiece" is one of the most brutal things I've heard otherwise, and I think they deserve more than to just be written off so easily simply because they're nu-metal. Nu-metal is at its worst when it's immature or safe and lacking in talent. Even some of the lesser nu-metal bands (The ones who genuinely made a name for themselves and are remembered fondly today, not any of the copycats/lazy fucks like Adema or some shit) are much better and much more deserving of a chance than the standard reputation what that nu-metal has given them.

Reactions: eochaid
Tuesday afternoon last 10 played... from my phone...

Poisonblack - With Her I Die (2003)

Three Days Grace - Animal I Have Become (2006)

In Flames - All the Pain (2019)

Gamma Ray - Valley of the Kings (1997)

Rise Against - Dancing for Rain (2004)

Billy Talent - Fallen Leaves (2006)

Avantasia - Wastelands (2010)

Nightwish - Wishmaster (2000)

Hypocrisy - Slave to the Parasites (2004)

Power Quest - Temple of Fire (2003)

Evidently my phone was in an early-to-mid-2000s mood today.

I'll join in.

"The Inquisitor" - Kamelot: This album was Kamelot's last before they got really interesting imo, but this is one of the highlights for me.

"Jester Scripted Transfigured" - In Flames: Gorgeous instrumentation, but Anders brings it down for me. I should use that vocals remover to make myself an instrumental version, actually...

"Astray" - Theatre of Tragedy: From their final album. It's a shame the production was so bad on this. It's a Top 3 ToT album for me, personally.

"Graphic Nature" - Deftones: People always say that Anders is/was trying to be Jonathan Davis, but I'm pretty sure it's Deftones, not Korn, that was the bigger influence. One of my favorite tunes by these guys, I'd say.

"Hedon" - Dark Tranquillity: One of the best off of The Mind's I. Those last two minutes where the song speeds up is one of my favorite moments in their whole discography, and the spoken word passage near the end is so cool.

"Panic Attack" - Dream Theater: I remember when this was brand new. I might be mishearing it, but I've always felt the verse riff off "A New Dawn" was almost identical to the main riff of this song, just slowed down.

"Resin" - In Flames: Always loved this song. Short, sweet, and powerful. The solo is pretty amazing.

"Lightning & Snow" - Woods of Ypres: Pretty interesting instrumentation here. The clean vocals detract a little bit from it for me. RIP to the vocalist, who died shortly before this album came out.

"Deathaura" - Sonata Arctica: My favorite song from The Days of Grays and one of my all-time favorite SA tracks. This whole album was essentially their swansong, imo.

"As the Future Repeats Today" - In Flames: It doesn't have a catchy chorus like Pinball Map, lacks the varied and dynamic guitar work of Bullet Ride, doesn't have the gorgeous clean guitars of Square Nothing and Satellites; it doesn't really have anything over any of the other songs on Clayman. Nevertheless, it manages to be one of my favorites.

I'm currently listening to Fear Factory (it's been ten years since I last listened to them and I found out that I still like them a lot). So not too much variation in my playlist.

I've got a couple of Fear Factory tracks on my playlist, but generally speaking Industrial sounding metal has never done much for me.

From my PC this time, so maybe a little more variety... or maybe not... let's see.

Firewind - Breaking the Silence (2006) - standard mid-2000s heavy/power metal.

Metallica - The Four Horsemen (1983) - probably my favourite Metallica track

Noeri Kojima - One Track Mind (1987) - no idea who she is or why I have this song :D

Conquest - I've Seen You In My Dream (2002) - Not sure where I got this random Ukrainian power metal from, but I must have downloaded it 15+ years ago. Apparently also known as "W. Angel's Conquest", but I don't know who W. Angel is. Anyhow apparently they've released a number of albums since this debut, so I should probably check out some more of their stuff.

Beast in Black - Revengeance Machine (2021) - Despite being very recent Dark Connection is one of my favourite albums of all time, so no more needs to be said.

No Fun At All - Pleasure Is To Be Insane (1995) - fairly sure the only reason I know about this band is because of IF's 'Strong and Smart' cover. They're pretty fun though. Remind me a bit of Bad Religion.

Nobuo Uematsu / Final Fantasy IX - Let's Fight! (2000) - I've never been able to get into FFIX despite trying a number of times. I bought the game back when it first came out but was pretty disappointed, as up until that point I'd only known FFVII and FFVIII. I couldn't understand the change in dynamic from gritty, dystopian cyberpunk to quirky, cutesy fantasy stuff. I get it now, realising FFVII and VIII were actually outliers compared to the past FF iterations and IX was actually closer to the standard series aesthetic. I've tried playing it in recent times with this in mind and still don't really like it much. A lot of people swear by it though. I know I played it up to a point, but not sure I ever even made it past the first disc. Anyway, all of that aside, the battle theme is a banger.

Dragony - Magic (2021) - Top-tier modern power metal. Dragony are fantastic.

The Lonely Island - I'm On a Boat (2009) - An all time classic, featuring Anders' hero T-Pain.

Slayer - Postmortem (1986) - I've got a lot of Slayer tracks, even though I don't particularly like them. Blasphemy I know, but I've just never really understood their appeal. A few tracks that are kind of fun, but I'm never going to listen to an entire Slayer album. I think they translate better in a live environment - I've enjoyed their performances when hearing them at festivals, at least.

Well, I guess we all like bands from genres we aren't typically fond of.

Today's batch, back on the phone...

The Corrs - Angel (2004) - top o't'mornin' to ye lads. Anyone else remember when The Corrs were on Beverly Hills 90210? ... no? Just me?

Amaranthe - Electroheart (2013) - Amaranthe leaning way towards the 'pop' side of their 'pop-metal' hybrid sound, but I like it.

Weird Al Yankovic - The Night Santa Went Crazy (1996) - best Christmas song. Also everyone should have some Weird Al in their collection.

Kania - Ethereal Skyes (2003) - extremely obscure Australian MDM. I used to speak to the guitarist on good old MSN back in the day, which is how I came across this track and I believe he sent me their EP as well. COOL STORY BRO. Anyhow it's a cool little track but probably can't be found anywhere nowadays, which is precisely why I data hoard.

Dark Tranquillity - Hours Passed in Exile (2002) - amazing track from an amazing album. Peak DT in my mind.

Faye Wong / Final Fantasy VIII - Eyes on Me (1999) - Apparently back in the day this song (which plays at the end of the game) wasn't well received, but I like it. The ending to FFVIII is one of my favourites of any game. It gives a solid conclusion to a story which is admittedly completely insane. Still gives me feels now when I watch it.

At the Gates - Flames of the End (1996) - really awesome, movie-like instrumental. This is actually one of my favourite tracks from SotS.

Alias Eye - In-Between (2012) - these guys are actually a really cool band, although I have no idea how to really describe them. Progressive Rock is what they typically come under. 'Just Another Tragic Song' and 'Arabesque' are both fantastic tracks by this band. Worth a listen!

Falconer - Home of the Knave (2006) - A not-so-subtle shot at George W. Bush and the USA, which wasn't uncommon around this time period. Northwind is an excellent power metal album though. Even people who don't typically like the genre tend to enjoy Falconer.

Britney Spears - Overprotected (2001) - Yo ngl Britney has some great pop tracks, and for my sins I do like pop music, so... :fu:

Today's shuffle:

"Mambo No. 5" - Lou Bega: Lots of nostalgia associated with this one. It's a guilty pleasure.

"Mambo No. 5" - Lou Bega: I played trumpet on this song in band class, so I kind of hate it even though I like it.

"Mambo No. 5" - Lou Bega: The drumming on this song is pretty infectious.

"Mambo No. 5" - Lou Bega: I heard this song on VH1 a lot as a kid. The 90's were the best, what can I say?

"Mambo No. 5" - Lou Bega: One of the songs from my pre-metal days.

"Mambo No. 5" - Lou Bega: Good track. I'm actually not sure if this artist is still around? Probably a one-hit wonder.

"Mambo No. 5" - Lou Bega: I always get the order of the names wrong in the chorus.

"Mambo No. 5" - Lou Bega: imo you don't hear this kind of stuff on mainstream radio these days. Not to sound like an old person.

"Mambo No. 5" - Lou Bega: Great track. I've never heard the first four Mambos, though.

"Mambo No. 5" - Lou Bega: Pretty catchy tune. I wonder what a metal version of this would sound like. Hammerfall, probably.

Reactions: mindd