Non Metal recommendations

Nebulous

Daniel
Dec 14, 2003
Brookfield, VIC, Australia
Pretty self explanitory really. I've got plenty of metal, so I'm seeking some new music to go along side it.
Lately I've gotten into some new music, namely some pop prog/ rock (Muse, Silverchair circa Neon Ballroom), prog/ ambient (Explosions in the Sky) and even went back to my old collection of late 90's, early 00's techno/ dance haha.

I'm very open to recommendations based on the writing/ style, or even just for the production value. My only two prerequisites are that it is not too droning, or too repetitive.

Hit me!

If you want some relaxing music, check out Ronn McFarlane. He is a fantastic lutenist. His CD Indigo Road is awesome. I know lute sounds kind of dorky, but the pieces on this CD are all originals and it is really interesting. Plus, the production is awesome.

Check out Brand New if you never have. The first album, Your Favorite Weapon, is very very pop-punk, but Deja Entendu and The Devil and God... are both much more experimental and 'mature.'

Other non-metal favorites: (just alphabetical from my iTunes)

Ashes Divide
Barenaked Ladies
Breaking Benjamin
Circa Survive
Coheed & Cambria
Dredg
Fair To Midland
Four Year Strong
Imogen Heap
Paramore
A Perfect Circle
Placebo
Saosin (early)
Say Anything
Shiny Toy Guns
Skindred
The Spill Canvas
Thrice
Thursday

Skinny Puppy?

That one would take some getting use to, haha. Definately a style I'm abit out oftouch with.

If you want some relaxing music, check out Ronn McFarlane. He is a fantastic lutenist. His CD Indigo Road is awesome. I know lute sounds kind of dorky, but the pieces on this CD are all originals and it is really interesting. Plus, the production is awesome.

Dorky? I play in a slavic folk band, I'm open to anything :p
It helps that Ronn can shred! Good stuff. Definately some interesting and quite driving arrangements considering the instrument and lack of backing band.

Thanks so far, keep it coming guys!

Check out Brand New if you never have. The first album, Your Favorite Weapon, is very very pop-punk, but Deja Entendu and The Devil and God... are both much more experimental and 'mature.'

Other non-metal favorites: (just alphabetical from my iTunes)

Ashes Divide
Barenaked Ladies
Breaking Benjamin
Circa Survive
Coheed & Cambria
Dredg
Fair To Midland
Four Year Strong
Imogen Heap
Paramore
A Perfect Circle
Placebo
Saosin (early)
Say Anything
Shiny Toy Guns
Skindred
The Spill Canvas
Thrice
Thursday

Jesus Christ, good fuckin taste there dude!!

Takes some time to get used to but once you're in you'll love it: EMILIE SIMON

Just a small taste of what you get here:

One of my favourite songs:

Forget about that video but the song is unique. And if you can handle french lyrics, check this one too:

If not, about 50% of her songs are in english :)

She is always one fix position in my Top 5. Everything she does is simply unique and full of magic...

Last edited by a moderator:
I will also mention Porcupine Tree again just because they are so awesome. Some other non metal stuff is the Alex Skolnick Trio, Bill Evans, Camel, Jan Johansson, Jason Vieaux, Kaki King, LAGQ (Los Angeles Guitar Quartet), Muse, Pat Metheny (but esp. his album with Brad Mehldau and his album One Quiet Night...great chill stuff).

Siobhan Donaghy - Ghosts

Paul Haslinger - Score, Death Race

Kent - Du & Jag Döden, Vapen & Ammunition, Hagnesta Hill

The Tea Party - Tryptych, Transmission

Ralph Towner - any

just a few