non-metal

Hm...I listen to a lot of stuff. Although I am a total metalhead (and this
is what's on the menu most often) I just LOVE LOVE music...

Acoustic/Folk/Medieval stuff like
Tenhi, Faun (German medieval folk), The Moon and the Nightspirit
(Hungarian folk), L'Ham de Foc (Spain with influences from all over the
mediterranean and the middle east), and yes, even some Loreena
McKennitt every now and then....

Reggae (roots and some dub)

Surf, but only the fast stuff (check out The Space Cossacks)

some EBM/Industrial

singer/songwriter like Iron+Wine (who I really like lately)

rock/post-rock stuff of various sorts (70s-like rock and doom, New
Model Army, Swans, Porcupine Tree, Starofash, etc...)

some Ska/punk hybrids like Ska-P, Panteon Rococo, Manu Chao
(more Ska/Reggae), even some Flogging Molly or Fiddler's Green

a bit of Trip-Hop (Ulver-Perdition City & 3rd and the Motral-Memoirs
style, but I can also do with some Vedergallningen-era Garmana or
even Portishead.
Interestingly, some used-to-be-playing-metal bands make the best trip
hop in my ears... :loco: )

Dark ambient like early Mortiis, Vinterriket, Paysage D'hiver...

Not that much classic music (haven't had much exposure to it yet), but I
do like Edvard Grieg-Peer Gynt for example (In the Hall of the mountain
king, soooo good!)

... Luar Na Lubre (a group from Galicia that makes folk music).....

you should check out L'ham de Foc...!

I like folk music and especially traditionnal music (those with lyrics) from the 18th to early 20th centuries... mostly war-related. lyrics from these old songs are full of history and emotion.. i love them. I mostly know french songs like these, if anyone can help me discover some traditional songs in english or from québec or another french speaking country please do. The only american song I can think of which fits the criteria of songs i'm looking for is "Johnny rebel", for Ireland it would be "come out yee black and tans"... (so you get an idea of what kind of shit i'm looking for).

I like folk music and especially traditionnal music (those with lyrics) from the 18th to early 20th centuries... , if anyone can help me discover some traditional songs in english or from québec or another french speaking country please do. .

Ok, so war related songs only? That is quite specific.

In Irish trad music you would be literally spoilt for choice. The Foggy Dew, Young Ned of the Hill, a number of Dubliners' songs and anything by the Wolfe Tones (Helicopter Song, Jackson's Motor car, etc)

In Scottish folk, Jacobite uprising songs would be up your street too- Im thinking Culloden's Harvest, Glencoe Massacre, Bonnie House of Airlie, Rogues of a nation, Mó Ghile Mear... up to and including Canan nan Gael and Flower of Scotland
Edit: Try The Corries for the sad historic songs... good band.

French... of course, Marv Pontkalleg (there are lyrics on the Barzaz Breizh version but the most common is Alan Stivell's instrumental) An Alarc'h, La Blanche Hermine... quite a lot of things by Try Yann and La Bottine Souriante (a good Quebec band) There is also a fantastic band called Kornog, they are half Breton and half Scottish (big guy from Battlefield Band moved to Britanny and started this band)

Try youtube for a preview listen, many bands upload songs there.

I am doomed. My rabbits bit my iPod USB cable and now I will have to listen to the same songs now until forever...

Phelice, your rabbits are music critics... First they ate your Sennheiser earphones, now your USB cable...

Maybe they are asking for you to stop saving good music for your ears only, play it loud for them too. :heh::heh::heh:

I like (and own) a lot of early 80's punk albums, all the grunge shit, some Johnny Cash, Tori Amos, and even a Jewel album around here somewhere. I also dig Tracy Chapman and the occasional Hendrix or Doors album to chill to. I'm also a huge fan of old U2 and R.E.M., since I was raised on that shit.