Not to be a dick but "Mornigrise" is sorta boring.

Morningrise is a fucking fantastic album, the only thing that lets it down in my opinion is the production. I miss the harmonies and the abrupt changes in the songs; compare Advent to Wreath and you'll notice a huge stylistic difference..and while I love Wreath, it is the style of Advent I love the most..

It just seems like that cd just dont go anywhere like most of the later stuff does so much.

Yeah, I hate those songs that play a riff a few times and never come back to it, it lacks the variation of songs that play a riff for a minute, then play it palm muted for another minute, then do a few other things, then come back and play it for another 3 minutes for the outro. Those kick ass!

Yeah, I hate those songs that play a riff a few times and never come back to it, it lacks the variation of songs that play a riff for a minute, then play it palm muted for another minute, then do a few other things, then come back and play it for another 3 minutes for the outro. Those kick ass!

You do realize there is more to composition than just riffs, right? I know that you've tabbed every single Opeth song, likely including b-sides and covers, and it may be hard to believe instruments outside the guitar exist, but it's some food for though.

I've always found Morningrise to be their weakest. It didn't have the energy of Orchid, and the over-extended songs really outstayed their welcome. I dislike the sound of the production, along with the aimless song structures, and the fact that the songs just drone on and on and on. I think Mike became a much better composer once they kicked into MAYH and onwards.

You do realize there is more to composition than just riffs, right? I know that you've tabbed every single Opeth song, likely including b-sides and covers, and it may be hard to believe instruments outside the guitar exist, but it's some food for though.

I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW I TABBED THE BASS FOR EVERY ONE OF THOSE AS WELL (besides wreath cause that song sux)

The song I was describing, "The Grand Conjuration," has some drum variations and bass variations in the outro and some cheesy synths doubling it over the top at various points in the intro but it's still the same damn powerchords repeated ad-infinitum no matter how they dress it up with the same two notes stretched into different octaves, etc. Morningrise is kind of aimless but I think that's the point of the first two albums, they're kind of droney and weird and it just worked. My favorite, MAYH, is definitely a very focused and directed one, probably more so than most of those that followed. I just think Morningrise has a very different feel to the others and it's a lot less repetitive than the albums people like the OP troll suggest are "far more interesting."

I always liked the way the tracks on Morningrise wandered about. It's a nice change from the rigid confines off most structured songs and with the droney feel (helped by the production) it came together nicely to create a completely different feel than any other album they've recorded. Sure, there are parts on the record where you want the riff to get a bit more exciting but it was only their second attempt. It definitely gets the nod from me.

i don't listen to morningrise as much as i do the other albums, but how anyone can say that "to bid you farewell" is not a masterpiece is beyond me.
they have not even come close to matching the feelings expressed that beautifully in a mellow song since tbyf.
but i enjoy the heaviness and brutality on the other albums more, since i'm not a big fan of twin guitar harmonies (melodic ones at least)

I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW I TABBED THE BASS FOR EVERY ONE OF THOSE AS WELL (besides wreath cause that song sux)

The song I was describing, "The Grand Conjuration," has some drum variations and bass variations in the outro and some cheesy synths doubling it over the top at various points in the intro but it's still the same damn powerchords repeated ad-infinitum no matter how they dress it up with the same two notes stretched into different octaves, etc. Morningrise is kind of aimless but I think that's the point of the first two albums, they're kind of droney and weird and it just worked. My favorite, MAYH, is definitely a very focused and directed one, probably more so than most of those that followed. I just think Morningrise has a very different feel to the others and it's a lot less repetitive than the albums people like the OP troll suggest are "far more interesting."

Had a feeling it was TGC you were using as the example! You have to admit though that is probably one of the most boring/worst Opeth songs ever written. There are some more interesting tracks to choose from out of the later material.

Morningrise, if you look at it from a pure riff standpoint isn't repetitive, granted. It's a semi-freeform approach, but what doesn't seem to change is the feeling. It seems to drone on, and the melodic ideas are fairly rudimentary. I suppose it's hard to quantify things like these, which are inherently subjective, but I feel that after MAYH they simply matured. The songs started having a purpose, and the arrangements took you through an array of emotions that somehow seemed to fit within the scope of the song. Whether or not the material feels simpler or more repetitive, it seems to have more of an impact, and it starts to feel like you're listening to actual songs rather than a collection of riffs.

Had a feeling it was TGC you were using as the example! You have to admit though that is probably one of the most boring/worst Opeth songs ever written. There are some more interesting tracks to choose from out of the later material.

Morningrise, if you look at it from a pure riff standpoint isn't repetitive, granted. It's a semi-freeform approach, but what doesn't seem to change is the feeling. It seems to drone on, and the melodic ideas are fairly rudimentary. I suppose it's hard to quantify things like these, which are inherently subjective, but I feel that after MAYH they simply matured. The songs started having a purpose, and the arrangements took you through an array of emotions that somehow seemed to fit within the scope of the song. Whether or not the material feels simpler or more repetitive, it seems to have more of an impact, and it starts to feel like you're listening to actual songs rather than a collection of riffs.

Mature does not mean better. Or worse.

It's my least favourite..and still slays most other things. I just find the sound hard to listen to..Actually, I didn't like TNATSW at all, until I heard the version on RT..just hearing it with good production made all the difference to me.