Train Journeys

Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Sorry, misleading title :D

Yesterday morning on the train I was listening to Mornigrise loudly :) and I had one of those great moments - I ceased to care about anything. Any problems just went out of my head and I couldn't care less, all I could think about was the music, it was really cool :)

Opeth is one of the few bands that can consistently have this effect on me. They write some of the most beautiful music.....

So what effect does the music of Opeth have on you?

And doany other bands have a similar effect? With me quite a few songs by different bands have that effect, but Opeth, along with TMC and Anathema are the only bands that consistently do it...

I would say only Opeth fits into this category.

I love The Tea Party and Nevermore, and I find their music phenomenal compared to others. But, Opeth's music is just too different. Heavy and melodic, growl and clean. They take their time with each song, giving it a chance for the emotion to build, subside, build, etc. (obvious by the length of their songs).

Yeah - Opeth is the pinnacle of emotional metal music for me - there are no others. (at the present day)

Opeth does the same thing for me,
but Iced Earth as well...
I was on the train a while ago,
listening to "Horror Ahow"
and everything was perfect.
Found solutions to all my problems,
and things just seemed beautiful.
I listened to the album four times in a row.

Iced Earth and Opeth is perfect for just
listening and feeling :eek:) Recently I have
found that Evergrey's last one is about
to become the same way....
You forget everything and just enjoy :eek:)

Originally posted by Demonspell
Opeth is our escape from reality! Blackspirit...I'm listening to Dark Waters right now, what an excellent album!

"Dark Waters?! What the fuck??What album by
Evergrey have I missed out on now???!?"
Was what I thought when I read that >:eek:P
Hehe... Oh well...
I never remember names or songtitles...

:lol: last friday evening while sitting on the train (it was somewhat crowded) I listened to Carcass' "Swansong" ...it's not that emotional or complex, but it's groovy as hell :loco:
- at some point I started moving my head up and down for a few seconds without noticing it...that must have looked stupid as fuck :lol:

Its so funny when people just start nodding their head up and down when listening to music. I mean its ok to get into it, but some people just do it for the hell of it and its so annoying. Don't get me wrong sometimes I catch myself getting way too into the music, but this is when I am alone, and when I actually feel the music. I will just watch my little brother and throughout a whole CD his head is moving, IT IS SO ANNOYING!!! Oh well, everyone has their own way of feeling the music.

... I will just watch my little brother and throughout a whole CD his head is moving, IT IS SO ANNOYING!!! Oh well, everyone has their own way of feeling the music.

today at work i was all just randomly headbanging like a manica. hahah ;) i dont know what got into me.

:mad: ok most of the local bands here are like.....BAH rapcore. and id go to this one band's shows because my best friend was in it. and i would get so annoyed watching people headbang, knock each other around all moshing, and then suddenly start doing that upbeat chicken-head looking rapmetal dance.....does anyone know what im talking about here? GRRRR! i hate that dance! haha dont get me wrong, im with you here morningrise that however you feel the music is however you feel it, and thats ok...but i can not witness the rapmetal dance anymore. it makes me sick!

i love it when that happens, you just cease to care, and then you accidently make a fool out of yourself by screaming and talking about a bomb on the train and how you want your mum, not that i did that on Saturday :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Morningrise
Its so funny when people just start nodding their head up and down when listening to music. I mean its ok to get into it, but some people just do it for the hell of it and its so annoying. Don't get me wrong sometimes I catch myself getting way too into the music, but this is when I am alone, and when I actually feel the music. I will just watch my little brother and throughout a whole CD his head is moving, IT IS SO ANNOYING!!! Oh well, everyone has their own way of feeling the music.

Hehe, one of my friends just starts dancing to music when she listens. And its usually either the "I am a tree" dance or the cyber/industrial really funny dance. She also does it without music. Now that look stoopid!

i start playing air-drums when really into music. this got me some strange glances, especially in trains :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Morningrise

yeah, and i hate it when they have a special dance for the different songs/bands, and are like, oh no your doing it wrong or whatever. and as you said, its usually the little kids, they see their friends doing it and then they decide to do what they're doing without having a clue what they are doing.

As Misanthrope remarked earlier, playing music yourself is very good to induce a trance-like state with no worries of this world burdening your mind. I often find myself banging out on the guitar until four in the morning, and I can but wonder at how time has flown again. As for albums that would carry me totally away, I think I should credit "Morningrise", "Still life" and "Blackwater park" by Opeth, "Eye of the hunter" by Brendan Perry, "The nephilim" and "Elizium" by Fields of the Nephilim and "Perdition city" by Ulver for that.

I really don't do much when I hear music that really rules. I am just plain happy, I think!