Nov. 12th Houston Show.

Jinn

Saint
May 16, 2004
Orlando, Florida USA
:OMG:

Holy shit that was an amazing night.

I met up with my friend Danielle, some buds from past shows, and even my good friend Alejandro....

Apart from that I met all the Katatonia guys, got to interview Anders and Jonas, and I also had a nice chat with Jesse from Daylight Dies!

Oh, and I got my copy of Jhva Elohim Meth The Revival autographed by Anders and Jonas as well!!!!!!

The show itself was just... incredible.

Daylight Dies absolutely SLAYED. Holy shit they ruled.

Katatonia was fucking awesome... a fucking AMAZING performance, and despite you naysayers out there, Jonas put on a KICKASS vocal performance.

And Moonspell put on a rampage of a performance! The only thing that would've made it absolutely perfect would be that awesome Shaman staff that Fernando used last tour with Opeth. But no shaman staff = :-(

Ah well, Moonspell slayed anyways! Even came back out for a two song encore.

Daylight Dies was awesome played a great but short set...

Katatonia who I came to see since I haven't paid much attention to Moonspell since 2000 was a disapointment... Their setlist was like 9 songs with nothing off "Tonight's Decision" and only 1 from "Last Fair Deal Gone Down" I can live with that but their sound was terrible. Anders should have just stayed on the bus because his guitar was not present at all unless the rest of the band was not playing. It was like his volume was on 2 and the others on 10 the whole time. The other guitars and bass were very muddy and Jonas's vocals were poorly mixed as they sounded way too dry and did not sit with the rest of the music... they stood out and to me sounded strange.... all you could hear was mud, drums, and vocals... made me very sad as I love this band but the sound man screwed them considering Moonspell had perfect sound...

Moonspell were amazing and blew me away. I was only planning to check them out for a couple songs and go home as I have only heard like 3 or 4 songs off their last two albums (which they played all of them)... once they hit into "Opium" and then the "Wolfheart" tunes I was hooked and stayed the whole set. Great setlist, light show, sound, and the band is insanely tight... they sounded like they were playing in front of 8,000 people instead of the maybe 100 that were there. Nice venue even though it was a bit strange... poor turn out though...

i think they have had horrible luck with the sound engineering through out the tour... hehe not the first time i heard sound was crappy... friends from Mexico were blown away by the show though...one of them told me she almost cried lawlz i guess she was joking, although for me it was all abt boucing up and down lol

Daylight Dies was awesome played a great but short set...

Katatonia who I came to see since I haven't paid much attention to Moonspell since 2000 was a disapointment... Their setlist was like 9 songs with nothing off "Tonight's Decision" and only 1 from "Last Fair Deal Gone Down" I can live with that but their sound was terrible. Anders should have just stayed on the bus because his guitar was not present at all unless the rest of the band was not playing. It was like his volume was on 2 and the others on 10 the whole time. The other guitars and bass were very muddy and Jonas's vocals were poorly mixed as they sounded way too dry and did not sit with the rest of the music... they stood out and to me sounded strange.... all you could hear was mud, drums, and vocals... made me very sad as I love this band but the sound man screwed them considering Moonspell had perfect sound...

Moonspell were amazing and blew me away. I was only planning to check them out for a couple songs and go home as I have only heard like 3 or 4 songs off their last two albums (which they played all of them)... once they hit into "Opium" and then the "Wolfheart" tunes I was hooked and stayed the whole set. Great setlist, light show, sound, and the band is insanely tight... they sounded like they were playing in front of 8,000 people instead of the maybe 100 that were there. Nice venue even though it was a bit strange... poor turn out though...

About Kata's sound...

I was right in front of Anders during the kata set. the intimacy of the room didn't convince the warehouse sound guy to mic up the amps that much. I couldn't hear Fred for most of the set for the same reason you couldn't hear Anders. Anders sounded amazing by the way.

I saw them in my hometown of Fort Worth. Moonspell and Katatonia in Fort Worth of all places on thier 30 or whatever US tour. The show was amazing. I loved Moonspell, they were intense. They were definitly fit to close and were the highlight of the night. The crowd really got into it and so did I even though I'm not really one to rock out that much...just moderatly.
Katatonia was terrific despite I thought they were on too short. There was a few idiots in the crowd shooting to play old stuff "Brave Murder Day!" "Dance of December Souls". I love thier doom metal stuff as much as thier progressive metal/rock but would of been fine by me if they didn't play any of the doom metal. But they did, they ended it with Murder. Didn't the singer of Opeth originally sing that song on that album and Jonas played drums? The song sounded out of place yet it was pretty cool to hear it.
The new songs...3 of them were amazing live. Even better live then on the album. Leaders was the opener, what a song. Other past songs like For My Demons sounded incredible as well. I wish they played longer, that would be my only gripe. I figure this might be thier last US tour but who knows. Mabey they could tour again and close next time. That would rule.

I saw them in my hometown of Fort Worth. Moonspell and Katatonia in Fort Worth of all places on thier 30 or whatever US tour. The show was amazing. I loved Moonspell, they were intense. They were definitly fit to close and were the highlight of the night. The crowd really got into it and so did I even though I'm not really one to rock out that much...just moderatly.
Katatonia was terrific despite I thought they were on too short. There was a few idiots in the crowd shooting to play old stuff "Brave Murder Day!" "Dance of December Souls". I love thier doom metal stuff as much as thier progressive metal/rock but would of been fine by me if they didn't play any of the doom metal. But they did, they ended it with Murder. Didn't the singer of Opeth originally sing that song on that album and Jonas played drums? The song sounded out of place yet it was pretty cool to hear it.
The new songs...3 of them were amazing live. Even better live then on the album. Leaders was the opener, what a song. Other past songs like For My Demons sounded incredible as well. I wish they played longer, that would be my only gripe. I figure this might be thier last US tour but who knows. Mabey they could tour again and close next time. That would rule.
I'd have to disagree on so many levels because katatonia definitely should have headlined(which would have given them more time) no questions asked, and that's also the first time i've seen katatonia categorized as progressive, but to each his own. You're definitely lucky to see for my demons though :headbang:

The best quote from the houston gig was backstage... Katatonia was discussing who was going to be driving to the next gig with another dude [a roadie i think], and Anders remarked:

"Don't drink and drive - you might spill your beer!"

Moonspell for sure proved why they were the headliner no doubt.... more experience touring for sure as they have super stage presence and energy... their setlist flow was perfect creating a balance of super heavy to the more melodic... their light show was amazing and Fernando was nuts going all over the place and getting the crowd into it by clapping, throwing fist in the air, and pumping us up which in turns keep pumping the whole band. Even on their amazing DVD from Poland Katatonia while great live doesnt even compare to the pure energy and tightness of Moonspell... in fact Katatonia looked and acted very sloppy with Jonas leaving his hair in his face through most of the song and saying a few words to the audience... the rest of the band other than Anders stood around looking like they were waiting for the show to end... Katatonia needs more touring time and I think they will come a long nicely but trust me putting them on after Moonspell would have been a big mistake.

Jonas was comfortable at az because they got a good reception so it's pretty much what you give him is what you're gonna get back.

Jonas was comfortable at az because they got a good reception so it's pretty much what you give him is what you're gonna get back.

Correct...Jonas got into it at our show. Of course we went crazy because it's F-ing Katatonia!!!...but the guys got really into it for our show. I was right by Anders and Mattias and they gave smiles the whole time...And Mattias almost hit me with his bass, which I would have taken as a compliment.

Same thing in San Antonio, no visible discomfort from Jonas at all. I think it's far more a matter of personal preference than live experience; I much prefer Katatonia's stage presence because it's more honest. Moonspell is a great band and all but their live shows tend to feel a bit silly and overly dramatic at times. To me Jonas would like very silly running around the stage, fist in the air, shouting "Come on lemme hear ya!" while singing a song like "Deadhouse".