Novembers Doom at Expo of the Extreme?

Jasonic

Doom On!
Apr 14, 2004
West Burbs of Chicago
Hey guys,
Last night I was going through some boxes I have of old flyers and what not.

I came across a flyer for the second Expo of the Extreme from a while back.

Originally this gig was going to be at the Riv, then it was moved to the Vic.

Anyhow, Novembers Doom are on the flyer!
Did you guys end up playing this?

My old band is actually on the Expo of the Extreme CD that came out to commemorate this fest.

I have never read or heard you guys speak of appearing at this gig, so I was curious if you guys ended up playing or not. I know some bands, such as mine, got cut once the fest was moved to the Vic...

If memory serves correctly, we did not perform on that show. I forget exactly what happened but there was a mix-up and we were unable to perform that gig. If it occurred at the Vic Theater then I know for certain we didn't perform because I have never played there....one of the few places left in Chicago that I'd really like to play someday.

Yeah, it was supposed to originally be at the Riv, with bands playing on the main stage as well as on side stages in the balcony.
I think they were going with the Milwaukee Metalfest theory of booking as many bands as humanly possible.

I think the only reason my band got on the comp is because we were willing to pay the fee to be on it!! Hahaha. Well, it was good exposure, plus I get to say that my band was on a CD comp with Motorhead.

There were lots of bands on the flyer that I don't think ended up playing (like the Dwarves and High on Fire).

I attended the night that Motorhead played (as well as Hatebreed, Dropkick Murphys, etc.).

Thanks for the clarification. As I said, I don't recall Nov Doom being a part of the fest, aside from seeing the name on the flyer.

I recall this- was that the year that Dana Plato was supposed to be at it, and then she died?

I'd have loved to play the Vic (or Riv), but it didn't happen for whatever reason. Can't remember why exactly.

Edit:
AH THE POWER OF THE INTARWEB

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shane_Bugbee

and, straight from Expo of the Extreme 1997, at Congress Theater in Chicago....
P09013HYABJ.JPG

THE GREAT KAT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnHM70bAhds

must be some ad for a dvd of the whole show or something, because it's only 22 seconds. the comments are priceless.
"I want to see more of the Great Kat!"
"more?!"
as if to say... "why?!"

Yeah, she was to be the guest MC.
She died like the week before.

BTW - I am sure no one probably does, but if anyone wants the compilation from this festival, I have TONS of extra copies.

I remember clearly why we bailed on the show. We were promised to play 2 bands before the headliner, who was The Genitorture's that night. At the last minute, and at fault of our own for not having a signed performance contract, our time slot was bumped to last, AFTER the headlining band, at the end of a long weekend. We all decided to save ourselves from the embarrassment of playing to an empty room, and told them we would not be playing if we didn't get our promised time slot. They didn't change it, and we didn't play.

We don't bail on too many shows, even when we feel it will be a total disaster, but at the time, we didn't have anywhere near the draw to keep people there after the headliner. I think we made the right move.

Yeah, from what I could tell when speaking with the organizers throughout the weekend, the whole fest was a disaster.

Some of the bands were trash talking the promoters and the fest from the stage.

As I said, for me it was cool, as I was extremely excited to be a part of anything involving Motorhead.

Paul - I agree with your decision. I have had that happen previously in bands I have been in as well. One time, my band were supposed to open for the UNDEAD (ex-Misfits) at Riley's Rock House. We get there to find out the promoter wants us to go on last. What happens? Semi-crowded bar for the UNDEAD. Crickets when we play.

It always sucks to have to bail out on a gig, we try to avoid it as much as possible. But especially now, after years and years of gigging and eating shit, we've got to set certain standards for ourselves. And if a promoter doesn't live up to their end of the bargain or tries to screw us around, then we have to do what's right for the band. I know it sucks when people get excited to see us play and then we cancel, but trust us, if we cancel then it's for a damn good reason. We even played as a four piece up in Minnesota a while back, when Paul was extremely ill, because we didn't want to let down the fans nor the promoters who were very cool with us.

I do remember that whole Expo fiasco now that you guys mention it. That was to be one of my very first gigs with ND too, and I remember being bummed that it didn't happen. But in retrospect I'm quite glad we passed on that.

It always sucks to have to bail out on a gig, we try to avoid it as much as possible. But especially now, after years and years of gigging and eating shit, we've got to set certain standards for ourselves. And if a promoter doesn't live up to their end of the bargain or tries to screw us around, then we have to do what's right for the band. I know it sucks when people get excited to see us play and then we cancel, but trust us, if we cancel then it's for a damn good reason. We even played as a four piece up in Minnesota a while back, when Paul was extremely ill, because we didn't want to let down the fans nor the promoters who were very cool with us.

I do remember that whole Expo fiasco now that you guys mention it. That was to be one of my very first gigs with ND too, and I remember being bummed that it didn't happen. But in retrospect I'm quite glad we passed on that.

Proabably the best decision, though I think it's really difficult for someone who paid the ticket and is waiting for that band to be in line with that kind of decision..

Proabably the best decision, though I think it's really difficult for someone who paid the ticket and is waiting for that band to be in line with that kind of decision..

It sucks for everyone, not only for the fans, but for us as well. We always want to play, but we have to draw the line. No one in their right mind would work for free, let alone work for free under poor conditions.

Part of the problem is pay-to-play. If I remember correctly, we didn't pay-to-play that fest, and all the band who did have to dish out money bitched about their time slots, so we got bumped to last. Keep in mind, we also weren't making a penny that night either. So, we were playing for free, and were expected to eat shit and like it? Nope. We have more pride then that.

Shit, we've travelled by van for over 15 hours to NY to play with Reverend Bizarre, for a total of 15 people paid. When Reverend Bizarre took the stage, I counted 8 in the room. We still played that abortion, so we certainly play our fair share of horrible shows.

Not to get off topic, but WOW!
That few people turned up for Rev Bizaare?
It never ceases to amaze me how internet hype never turns into concert attendance.
You would think by how much they are praised online, that show would have been packed.

I certainly don't blame anyone who would have canceled that fest, considering how poorly organized it was.

The whole pay-to-play concept is disasterous.

It sucks for everyone, not only for the fans, but for us as well. We always want to play, but we have to draw the line. No one in their right mind would work for free, let alone work for free under poor conditions.

Part of the problem is pay-to-play. If I remember correctly, we didn't pay-to-play that fest, and all the band who did have to dish out money bitched about their time slots, so we got bumped to last. Keep in mind, we also weren't making a penny that night either. So, we were playing for free, and were expected to eat shit and like it? Nope. We have more pride then that.

Shit, we've travelled by van for over 15 hours to NY to play with Reverend Bizarre, for a total of 15 people paid. When Reverend Bizarre took the stage, I counted 8 in the room. We still played that abortion, so we certainly play our fair share of horrible shows.

Hey, didn't mean to accuse you in anyway ! :lol:

No one works for free that's sure. The problem is that the "star" status of ceratin international bands (not only metal, at least..) is really unbearable. I can completely understand that from a band who first of all plays for passion as you are, I would not tolerate this, for example, from Michael Jackson or Madonna..