Novembers Doom and Agalloch!

:Shedevil:
dan of bereavement said:
Cool man, We just played the SOLD OUT Katatonia show. We are in pretty good with the owner. This club is freaking awesome, If we set something up here, there would be an awesome draw, let me know when you are ready. We could also possibly set stuff up for RI, Boston and Connetticunt

Im going to punch you, for these reasons:

1. You probably met katatonia
2. You probably played rose for a dying....
3. You knew full well i wouldnt be there.

:Shedevil:

Well, Due to Moonspells gay attiude they gave me for promoting their show on their forum. and the fact that we sold 70 tickets to 70 Katatonia fans, and everyone said "Moonspell is headlining, That's gay" I pretty much Am ok with stretching thw truth a hair and saying Katatonia. I didn't even stay in the room for Moonspell(I was watching titties). Honestly, I thought Daylight Dies was the best band on the bill.

TO Affinity:
1. I did meet them Briefly, However; they were just as buisy doing other shit to have a real conversation. I saw sooo many friends at this show, I didn't have time to meet them. We had merch tables right next to them though and they were there with their laptops and so forth. What a crazy night!

2. We didn't play "Rose" because we have no singer and the girl who filled in Prefered "the Foools Lament" to it. The set was 1. Alone Beside Her 2. And Their Tears Shall Flood The Earth and we closed with The Fools Lament the set was 30 minutes ish.

3. I asked you to get on a plane and come over here man! lol Maybe we can go out there some day

I'll take Moonspell over Katatonia any day, but that's just me. Katatonia are very good too.

I'm quite interested to see Daylight Dies, I've heard so much good stuff about them on this tour so far.

And it's alright, people are going to say or believe whatever it is that suits their personal tastes and leanings. 1349 tour, Katatonia tour, etc....I've already seen people on other forums referring to the upcoming "Agalloch/Saturnus" tour with barely a mention that we're even on it. Go figure. I don't even care at this point.

affinityband said:
I really cant believe that Moonspell are even up to Par with Katatonia in sales. But then again, i always feel Katatonia are a band that deserve more than they are given.

I agree, katatonia deserves more credit. Keep this in mind for America, Peaceville has very poor distribution, and always has, so sales are quite low when the CD's are no where to be found. Moonspell sells very well, because their CD's are everywhere, and they have toured here at least 6 or 7 times now. Their last headlining tour, we played with them to a packed house.

People would be VERY surprised to know actual sales numbers and things like that for certain bands. Some bands might seem to have more of a buzz and a more vocal fanbase, but in fact don't sell nearly the number of cds here that many people assumed they would, or should.

I dont dissagree for one minute that katatonia dont get the distribution they deserve, and a ton of other bands for that matter. I think i just feel that moonsorrow are a very stale act in my books when they just keep bringing out material that other bands do far better. To me as a bigger fan of Katatonia, its kind of an injustice. Of course this is a very bold opinion that many would disagree with.

From Fernando of Moonspell...

<<D-day

D stands for degrading here.

I prize mine and my band&#8217;s honesty as one of our true values and something we can offer at least for ourselves. Many episodes and moods of our career can be explained by that. Which would take us to a deep, deep, three times deep discussion. After a storyless travel through tolls and mistaken indications, we rise from chaos to arrive to further chaos. At this time all is going wrong: the tourbus is speeding up to give us a needed shelter. The truck for the gear, our pickup, everything is running late and we feel the rush and the stress of a first day that will go beyond our control, as we will find later on. If we could predict the capricious future, we would have stayed inside the Days comfy walls, looking exactly at nothingness. But no: we have a show to make, fans to please, people to discover us. We arrive at a scary Poughkeepsie, which looks abandoned of all hope, and climb the stairs to the first stage where all nocturnal mourning bands will open their hearts and souls. Nothing could prepare us for the clash with the people from the club who, moved by the dictatorship of the pay to play, disregard completely our needs as bands and allows us not to setup before the openers do. After lots of tension and stupidity that could fill an empty hall, we are led into a horrible show, that we have to start at 1.30 (am) to a couple of lovable fans who endure, I bow to them, the test of time.That same time that we got deprived of, respectlessly. The next day something alike happens and we suffer from that plague once more. I will be clear: I have nothing against local bands! In some way we are all locals. Moonspell comes from a country smaller than most the US states but we could always look further than the fog around our noses. On the other hand, we never, ever dreamed of playing for our friends and their taps on our backs and most local bands here seem to close the circuit when they should open it. A situation is created that favours no one except the handful of people posting their stupidity in the comfortable anonymousity of an umbilical forum. Seeing through some comments from Bedford, NH show makes want never to come back! Come on I didn&#8217;t even got to see the titty bar as my mood was more of an existential crisis, a wonder why? On the other side, my friends, we have been around, we know how to read the signs, and how to separate iron from gold. And if your need to hate is that strong, stronger for sure than your music and artistic deliveries of any kinds (who knows you, anyway?) then yes we are enemies, it&#8217;s mutual fuckers! That won&#8217;t stop us or even better won&#8217;t start you.

I love Katatonia! For me they would headline over Metallica as they are a special brand, a one of a kind, a feast for my senses, a gift of darkness. As persons they are respectful, considerate, educated and there is no competition behind us, rather much more a killer and bullet proof friendship, tested already on this tour, believe me. We do not behave as headliners or nothing of the sort. And our fans respect Katatonia as much as they do respect Moonspell, too bad some people can&#8217;t be like that on the other way around. I love our fans for that. Much more, of course, but for that more than everything right now! Lessons have to be learned from music. You can not listen to it and get away with nothing. Most of people who say bad stuff about us while praising Katatonia do not know what they are getting into: nothing, nothing, nothing. I understand people&#8217;s preferences (I awe in wait sometimes through support bands or headliners just to see my faved ones) what I do not understand is this portable stupidity which plagues the net and the Metal scene. Anyway I am the one who gets to discuss lyrics deeply with Jonas or the old times with Anders. And that is as priceless as their music which I hold to my heart regardless of the people who like them and hate us. >>

That is some deep shit. I feel bad for Moonspell after reading that. I wish I had a chance to see this tour, but because of school I won't. That kills me. I would give anything to see Katatonia, and because of this tour I went and picked up (what would be) my first Moonspell album. I absolutely loved it. So, now I would give my left nut to see this show. Especially since it includes three extremely talented acts such as Daylight Dies, Katatonia, and Moonspell. I think it takes a certain respect that most people can't find within themselves to understand some music. I think that people are too picky on their music sometimes. Example: I can assume that everyone thinks the Backstreet Boys suck (I know it is dangerous to assume), but they had their own talents, and talent can be respected. I got off subject I think...damnit.

Fernando has been a friend of mine for many years now, and he's always been one of nicest, and humble people I've met. As a matter of fact, the entire band is. This is in NO WAY a dig or slam to Dan from SoB, but that night, the club had 4 local openers before the touring package. That's really not cool. Being totally honest, and revealing details of our dealings for this tour, one of the factors in us not being a part of the package was that both Moonspell, and Katatonia were afraid of this very thing happening, that a 4 band bill, plus the possibility of a local opener, would wear the crowd out before the headliners, take away time from their sets, and push the shows to later times. Then, a club puts 4 local openers on the bill? If I were on the tour, I'd have been pissed off myself. We had a similar situation in Toronto on our last tour, and I know how shitty it can be when things don't run smooth. I thought Shroud was the ONLY opening band, which would be cool. 4 bands is crazy. 2 bands would be pushing it.

I don't blame him at all at this point. He should be angry, and the fans should have more respect.

Oh, I didn't understand the local band thing completely. Makes more sense now. I thought people were just staying for certain bands and leaving before Moonspell because they didn't like them or didn't know who they are.

Man, I'm confusing myself now.

Too many people out there either don't think, or don't care, about how the business really works and what it takes to do this shit. It's harder than all fuck for a band like Moonspell to book and manage an American tour and make it work. You think record labels and giant staffs of people do all of this for them? You're wrong. It takes lots of planning, lots of headaches and red tape to deal with, and alot of faith in themselves and their art that it'll all be worth it. Then you have people on the internet who are so quick to toss their lofty opinions out there about how Moonspell shouldn't be headlining and Moonspell don't deserve this or that or how Moonspell weren't even worth them sticking around for, etc. You're entitled to your opinions of course, but it just bothers me that people are so quick to verbalize their negative, barbed opinions without taking a moment to really think about who they might be hurting, or god forbid actually trying to look at both sides of the situation.

The fans of Katatonia's who go online and make such negative comments about Moonspell.....do they think that Katatonia actually supports that shit? I mean I cannot speak for Katatonia directly but I can tell you that the bands more often than not, really despise all the competetiveness and shit-slinging that the fans start between each other over shit like that. Katatonia and Moonspell have alot of respect and admiration for each other. Fernando told me directly the last time I saw him, about how much he loves Katatonia and would love to see them come here. He and his band and his management, helped make that happen at last. Unfortunately not enough people seem to respect that, and would rather just sling arrows and insult Moonspell because they just personally don't like their music. And it's a major slap in the face to him and his band when the Katatonia fans are so disrespectful towards him and Moonspell. Fernando would surely be disappointed to see Moonspell fans being disrespectful towards Katatonia as well.

As for the opening band thing......one local opener is standard practice, and I don't think that hurts anything. Sometimes it can be a real bonus for the bill. But the promoters who add three or four local openers, that's out of hand. We had wanted to be on this tour but understood that four bands is alot especially when you know that the clubs will inevitably put at least one local opener on the bill as well. I love when the local bands have a big attitude too.....we've had to deal with a few of those when we've toured and travelled to other places to play. Whenever we've been the local support for bands like Moonspell, Lacuna Coil, Opeth, Amorphis, etc., believe me I had no delusions about it whatsoever. I was just honored and thankful to be able to play on the same stage with those bands.

Anyhow yeah I know this is another of my long rants, sorry.....I just really get aggravated with how outspoken and negatively opinionated alot of these people on the 'net get about bands and stuff, when they just don't really know what the fuck they're talking about, or don't bother trying to look at different sides other than their own before speaking.