Novembre influenced by opeth?

Do u think (by yourself, not someone's comment) that Novembre is influenced by Opeth?

• Yes, Novembre is influenced by Opeth

Votes: 30 40.5%
  • No, Novembre is not influenced by Opeth

Votes: 44 59.5%

• Total voters
i dont think they sound like opeth at all. good band, and i agree about the new album, its one of their best albums, if not the best.

affinityband said:
they started at the same time.

so they couldnt listen to an opeth record in the middle of their career and liked what they heard? and made them want to get started on their next album? dont be a moron.

edit: people, please dont lecture me on bands' origins, influences, genre, sound, etc. lets not even go there, save your breathe.

hibernal_dream said:
If that's your logic, then isn't it just as likely that Novembre influenced Opeth?

no. because mikael is even more of an anti-modern metal pompous bastard than i am, so i doubt he would ever listen to novembre...who in my opinion really offer nothing too special anyway. nor would mike ever admit to such even if it were true.

Tubbs Mcgee said:
Who?

I've never even heard of them... :erk:
With many, many bands above and beyond your comprehension, you still maintain Dream Theater is the best band ever.

While each band had similarities in sound, both are very uniquefrom one another. Opeth's first two albums (probably the most similar to Novembre) were basically the gothenburg melo-death sound with progressive elements. Whereas Novembre were just an early melo-death band. Neither band was really progressive until Opeth released Damnation or Ghost Reveries. It's definitely clear to me that Carmelo is more influenced by Mikael than Mikael is Carmelo. Mikael's musical taste is far too eclectic to let one band be a solid influence... Oh yeah, imho.

The Hubster said:
Oh for gods sake.

What is it with fans on this forum? You think EVERYONE is influenced by Opeth? Every new album which comes out from someone gets mentioned in this forum as being influenced by, or being similar to Opeth. Next thing you know, the Beatles were influenced by Opeth!

Hey! You want to say there's a band NOT influenced by Opeth? Heretic! May inquisition get you! :devil:

Nostalgiaplatz said:
Bass:
Opeth: Linear
..erm.. in one word..
No.

To extend, for the first two albums the bass was very good as it didn't merely copy the guitar parts and was reknowned for always going off on it's own melodic 'adventures'.
MAYH's bass was linear..so i'll give you that.. But that's merely because Mikael did it.
But Martin Lopez's basslines are generally not that linear, and i feel he is definitely one of the most impressive bassists within the metal scene. He keeps the repetition of guitar parts to a minimum, and frequently uses short bassline fills.

So.. although at times it can be at times, generally Opeth basslines are non linear.

opeth_353 said:
..erm.. in one word..
No.

To extend, for the first two albums the bass was very good as it didn't merely copy the guitar parts and was reknowned for always going off on it's own melodic 'adventures'.
MAYH's bass was linear..so i'll give you that.. But that's merely because Mikael did it.
But Martin Lopez's basslines are generally not that linear, and i feel he is definitely one of the most impressive bassists within the metal scene. He keeps the repetition of guitar parts to a minimum, and frequently uses short bassline fills.

So.. although at times it can be at times, generally Opeth basslines are non linear.

Compared to Novembre's last couple albums, Opeth's last couple albums have extremely "linear" basslines, OK? They follow the guitars at almost all times, fills don't really count. Deliverance especially has an extreme lack of bass doing anything different from guitar. Ghost Reveries has a lot of amusing bass lines, but I would say they are much closer to being the roots of the guitar parts than Novembre.

opeth_353 said:
But Martin Lopez's basslines are generally not that linear, and i feel he is definitely one of the most impressive bassists within the metal scene.

lolzz

Lopez played bass? :erk:

Ten SiSi said:
With many, many bands above and beyond your comprehension, you still maintain Dream Theater is the best band ever.
And I always will, considering they're one of the best bands in existence. Besides, the only other band I like that is similar to Opeth's style is Edge Of Sanity, and they aren't even that similar. I wouldn't waste my time on this band.