Novembre influenced by opeth?

Do u think (by yourself, not someone's comment) that Novembre is influenced by Opeth?

• Yes, Novembre is influenced by Opeth

Votes: 30 40.5%
  • No, Novembre is not influenced by Opeth

Votes: 44 59.5%

• Total voters
Tubbs Mcgee said:
Lopez played bass? :erk:

And I always will, considering they're one of the best bands in existence. Besides, the only other band I like that is similar to Opeth's style is Edge Of Sanity, and they aren't even that similar. I wouldn't waste my time on this band.
Dream Theater is crap. Images and Words was BARELY worth listening to. A C- at best. They have the right idea with wanting to experiment with their music, but their delivery is the same crap over and over. I'd just rather listen to Priest for my wailing vocal fix.

Download some.

Actually no, dont - its not worth the bandwidth wastage. Just know that its THAT bad that you dont even need to hear it to realise why.

Tubbs Mcgee said:
Lopez played bass? :erk:

And I always will, considering they're one of the best bands in existence. Besides, the only other band I like that is similar to Opeth's style is Edge Of Sanity, and they aren't even that similar. I wouldn't waste my time on this band.

What have you heard of Novembre? I'd think if you like those two bands and wimpier stuff like Dream Theater you'd probably like Novembre.

And someone who likes Spock's Beard shouldn't go telling Opeth fans not to check out actually good vaguely Opethian stuff ;_;

tubbs tubbs tubs tubbs tubbs tubbs tubbs tubbs tubbs. This thread is stupid. Opeth and Novembre are similar in conecpt, but Mikael is a better songwriter. There's no deepness to Novembre's music. Materia is showing signs of maturing, but still suffers from the same Novembre boringness. Opeth is on an entirely higher level than Novembre, so why compare the two?

Ten SiSi said:
tubbs tubbs tubs tubbs tubbs tubbs tubbs tubbs tubbs. This thread is stupid. Opeth and Novembre are similar in conecpt, but Mikael is a better songwriter. There's no deepness to Novembre's music. Materia is showing signs of maturing, but still suffers from the same Novembre boringness. Opeth is on an entirely higher level than Novembre, so why compare the two?

That's the way you perceive it, because you probably never given an openminded chance to Novembre to actually get into its uniqueness and artsy moments.

Either that, or that I've made an album before, and I know how easy it is to do what they do.

Ten SiSi said:
Either that, or that I've made an album before, and I know how easy it is to do what they do.

Gimme a fucking break. Novembre's material on Novembrine Waltz is far more intricately written and put together than nearly anything Opeth's ever done. I like the bands about equally, but there's no denying their stuff on that album at least is far more composed and polished than Opeth, who suffer from the "riff pastiche" feeling quite often (which makes sense, cause some of their albums literally WERE ex deliverance being a bunch of riffs spliced together in protools). "Everasia" especially is far, far more complexly layered and actually has contrasting parts interacting in ways that Opeth never has bothered doing. If you're such an amazing composer I'd like to see you make a song ripping off Novembrine Waltz. It just isn't very easy, at all, while it isn't particularly difficult to make a cheap Opeth ripoff.

Mumblefood said:
by the way, the new album is fucking amazing. Best one yet.
Their best yet? Hey Mike, does it even top Classica? Whoa!

Dude, I'm getting excited. I need to hear this disc. I heard there are no death vocals on it, right? Also is it as minimalistic and droney as some reviews claim?

Thanks!

wankerness said:
Gimme a fucking break. Novembre's material on Novembrine Waltz is far more intricately written and put together than nearly anything Opeth's ever done. I like the bands about equally, but there's no denying their stuff on that album at least is far more composed and polished than Opeth, who suffer from the "riff pastiche" feeling quite often (which makes sense, cause some of their albums literally WERE ex deliverance being a bunch of riffs spliced together in protools). "Everasia" especially is far, far more complexly layered and actually has contrasting parts interacting in ways that Opeth never has bothered doing. If you're such an amazing composer I'd like to see you make a song ripping off Novembrine Waltz. It just isn't very easy, at all, while it isn't particularly difficult to make a cheap Opeth ripoff.
You can layer as many melodies as you want, but if the rythmn is boring, the song will be boring. It's easy to write melodies to simple chord changes. Give me a studio, all the instruments, and a producer, and ill give you a novembre ripoff that will destroy anything they've done.

wankerness said:

^^ I am glad I am not alone on this

batmura said:
Their best yet? Hey Mike, does it even top Classica? Whoa!

Dude, I'm getting excited. I need to hear this disc. I heard there are no death vocals on it, right? Also is it as minimalistic and droney as some reviews claim?

Thanks!

It's different than classica or anything they've made before.

Ten SiSi said:
You can layer as many melodies as you want, but if the rythmn is boring, the song will be boring. It's easy to write melodies to simple chord changes. Give me a studio, all the instruments, and a producer, and ill give you a novembre ripoff that will destroy anything they've done.

Yes, that's just like saying "Give me a guitar and amp and I'll be the next Joe Satriani"... it's not impossible, but it's definitely not easy, especially given the uniqueness of Carmelo's singing and Giuseppe's drum playing.

Plus, you don't need a tiny bit of what you ask to make songs like those, all that you need is far beyond gear and studio :)

Ten SiSi said:

I'm not talking about simply layered melodies, I'm talking about actually separate parts interacting in sometimes quite atypical ways. Compare this to Opeth, whose last few albums are simply one guitar part at once half the time. It's easier to rip off Opeth, cause their music is often much simpler harmonically, period. >:E

And I'd like to hear your material that rips off Novembre while being far better than them. Make us a guitar pro tab or something, Shostakovich.

Well come to think of it, anything i write would be beyond novembre's level. I don't understand how somebands can spend months in the studio, and still come out with crap.

Ten SiSi said:
Well come to think of it, anything i write would be beyond novembre's level. I don't understand how somebands can spend months in the studio, and still come out with crap.

I can also write music that is way beyond the technical level of Novembre, that doesn't make me better than them though. That said, I would like to hear your stuff, maybe I forget about Novembre and become a fan of you instead. send me a PM with your myspace or soundclick or post it here.

Ten SiSi said:

That was a really clever way to pretend you know what you're talking about!

wankerness said:
That was a really clever way to pretend you know what you're talking about!

i thought it was funny. but thats because i think novembre is incredibly overrated and rather homoerotic overall for the most part. however theyre far more listenable than bands like woods of ypres.

exactly, its not that novembre are terrible, they're just not very good. old behemoth has better fusion of acoustics and black/death. and the vocalist doesnt sound like a assrammer.

Ten SiSi said:
exactly, its not that novembre are terrible, they're just not very good. old behemoth has better fusion of acoustics and black/death. and the vocalist doesnt sound like a assrammer.

well, i wouldnt go that far. if you took OUT the acoustics of the old behemoth, theyd be nothing more than a fimbulwinter/graveland clone. nor do novembre and early behemoth sound anything alike really anyway. id say a better comparison would be in the woods and novembre. in the woods definitely slaughters them.

NineFeetUnderground said:
well, i wouldnt go that far. if you took OUT the acoustics of the old behemoth, theyd be nothing more than a fimbulwinter/graveland clone. nor do novembre and early behemoth sound anything alike really anyway. id say a better comparison would be in the woods and novembre. in the woods definitely slaughters them.
i completely i agree, i was merely using behemoth as an example because older behemoth was quite simple in concept, much like novembre.