Novembre influenced by opeth?

Do u think (by yourself, not someone's comment) that Novembre is influenced by Opeth?

• Yes, Novembre is influenced by Opeth

Votes: 30 40.5%
  • No, Novembre is not influenced by Opeth

Votes: 44 59.5%

• Total voters
well I downloaded a few Novembre songs to see what they were like

only thing I really have to say is I hope their song "Nothijngrad" is a tribute to Dimebag, as they ripped off the solo that ends Pantera's "Floods" nearly exactly

Ten SiSi said:
i completely i agree, i was merely using behemoth as an example because older behemoth was quite simple in concept, much like novembre.

novembre isnt complicated, but they have a lot of texture, behemoth was pretty 2 dimensional and linear still.

Behemoth is pretty lame based on what I've heard, I haven't heard Woods of Ypres, and what's the story with "in the woods?" I bought "Strange in Stereo" on a whim recently thinking they were some kind of metal, but it sounds much more like Green Carnation than doom metal (yes I know Green Carnation has member(s) from them). What's their best stuff? I've heard the name Omnio before, is that more representative?

wankerness said:
Behemoth is pretty lame based on what I've heard, I haven't heard Woods of Ypres, and what's the story with "in the woods?" I bought "Strange in Stereo" on a whim recently thinking they were some kind of metal, but it sounds much more like Green Carnation than doom metal (yes I know Green Carnation has member(s) from them). What's their best stuff? I've heard the name Omnio before, is that more representative?

who said in the woods was doom metal to begin with? strange in stereo is during their crazy stage. i was referring to the earlier material, but your statement tends to go along with the overall ignorance of your post in general it seems. do you always listen to one album of a bands entire catalog and assume you know what youre talking about?

heart of the ages would be a good place to start.

NineFeetUnderground said:
well, i wouldnt go that far. if you took OUT the acoustics of the old behemoth, theyd be nothing more than a fimbulwinter/graveland clone. nor do novembre and early behemoth sound anything alike really anyway. id say a better comparison would be in the woods and novembre. in the woods definitely slaughters them.

You surely need to listen to Novembre and in the woods, they sound nothing alike! NOTHING! I wonder how you come up with such comparisons, I've been a huge fan of Novembre for a few years and all I've done since was trying to find a band which would sound similar to them and so far I have not found one which would sound nearly the same. Maybe the one I could compare with them the most is Klimt 1918 because their drummer is inspired by Giuseppe(Novembre), they're both from Rome and they were recorded and produced by members of Novembre and both bands write songs with "italian feel" to it. Don't try to school me (nor wankerness) in this, we surely know Novembre as we are proud FANS of the band. Your arguments lack coherency, it's not that I am offended because you don't like it, but your comparisons are totally incorrect! That brings me to my initial post, which is about Novembre sounding like Opeth by being influenced by them.

Whoever mentioned woods of ypres, delete yourself.. I like woods of ypres and again, they're NOTHING^2 alike. They're Black/Doom Metal in the veins of old Ulver, Agalloch and such.

Just because Opeth, Novembre, Woods of Ypres, In the Woods, WHOEVER use acoustic guitars, do transition from clean to growling vocals, distorted guitars to clean guitars and transpire a lot of atmosphere and are often spoke about and cluelessly compared to Opeth on this board, doesn't mean they ACTUALLY are Opeth sounding or Opeth influenced.

You surely need to make a personal introspection, get their albums and listen to them forr longer than a cd run to avoid being so effin incoherent with your assumptions.

Hypnos said:
indeed!

@topic
Opeth's influence on Novembre is petty obvious

I've said it once, I'll say it again: Show us a song of Novembre and a song of Opeth which sound nearly the same, structure-wise or soundwise.

who said in the woods was doom metal to begin with? strange in stereo is during their crazy stage. i was referring to the earlier material, but your statement tends to go along with the overall ignorance of your post in general it seems. do you always listen to one album of a bands entire catalog and assume you know what youre talking about?

heart of the ages would be a good place to start.

I wouldn't have asked what was more representative of their stuff if I'd been acting like I knew what I was talking about in regards to them.

novembre isnt complicated, but they have a lot of texture, behemoth was pretty 2 dimensional and linear still.
textures aren't enough to make a band good. Most people like novembre just because its easy to follow and is very lush sounding, but once you get used to them, they get old fast.

Ten SiSi said:
textures aren't enough to make a band good. Most people like novembre just because its easy to follow and is very lush sounding, but once you get used to them, they get old fast.

textures are plenty to make some bands good. Novembre just isnt one of them. i wasnt saying novembre was good or not good because of textures, just stating why their aproach is completely different to behemoth, and thus not an accurate comparison.

Nostalgiaplatz why did you create this thread here. Everyone knows a lot of the people that frequent this forum are elitist as music fans get.

I think the responses prove the point that Novembre are nothing like Opeth.

Like wankerness said, I have also transcribed music by both Opeth and Novembre, and I have had much harder work on Novembre transcriptions than Opeth ones...

Maybe it isnt technically harder (although there is a Novembre solo that is many times harder than any Opeth have done if you are one of those people who are anal about technicality). But in terms of the way the music is constructed, the way every part of the music comes together and plays off each other Novembre is far more intricate and well thought out. Opeth's music although complicated in structure and variations is fairly linear in terms of layers and atmosphere.

Ten SiSi << you really have no idea what you are talking about by reading your comments, so really you should probably leave the discussion as your opinion holds no weight.

The final thing that sets Novembre way ahead and apart from Opeth, is the fact that not just every album but every song holds something different. The albums are so diverse in themselves, but each song is very different as well. Whereas with Opeth songs, there is so much riff regurgatation that most songs dont feel different in mood or atmosphere.

Have you noticed how there are many bands that can easily clone the Opeth sound, because their sound is there...easy to hear and replicate because it is so blindingly obvious (not saying obvious as in simple or that it required no talent to create, because it really did). I have heard lots of bands and thought wow that sounds just like Opeth, or wow that could be a part straight from an Opeth song. I have never once heard a band or song where I have thought oh that soudns like Novembre.

Dont get me wrong, I love Opeth as well, have ever since I bought Morning rise when it as released.... but Novembre are above and beyond in my opinion.

I dont even know why I am posting this, it is a pointless point to make...argueing about music is the most stupid waste of time.

^ holy shit, this guy is questioning me. i almost fell out of my chair.

yea, i really should listen to music more, so i can be as learned as you. forgive me masta.

moron.

That makes for a pretty big conclusion, which isn't something I hadn't already perceived in before hand, given your previous comments. If you find Novembre boring, lame, homoerotic, whatever, it's your opinion and I wont argue, as to me they're but the solidness of your arguments shows how clueless you are.

Ten SiSi said:

You guys love to state the obvious, however, that happens with pretty much any band when one starts to discover new genres and soundscapes. Still wishing to listen to your music, maybe it's the kind that never gets old fast.

Benighted Joe said:
Just checked Novembre out. I'd never heard Novembre before... Damn I like it.
And it's far from Opeth-sounding. More like Tool imo.

So... no on your poll.

I kinda agree. It has a few similarities to tool in the vox department, both Maynard and Carmelo have pretty big vocal range and use it similarly.

**Jester** said:
Nostalgiaplatz why did you create this thread here. Everyone knows a lot of the people that frequent this forum are elitist as music fans get.

Well, for the reasons I stated in the initial topic, but you're right. There's 4 pages of vaporposts and no single comparison of a Novembre song with an Opeth song. :worship: