Now Playing Thread

and where do you see my average mainstream bands? I don't give a shit whether a band sells five million copies or five, it's songwriting quality I want. Locking one self to one genre is just closed-minded.

I was speaking about general music fans, not you in particular. But you haven't names any bands which you think are more depressive, to back up your statement

I was speaking about general music fans, not you in particular. But you haven't names any bands which you think are more depressive, to back up your statement

in metal:

katatonia
my dying bride
anathema
antimatter
skepticism
esoteric
evoken
etc.

they don't have to be metal to be as emotional as Opeth,

although your average mainstream band will mostly write songs about breaking up with their girlfriend or having too much to drink, hardly touching on any deep emotional topics...

btw, if you want to hear a depressive song, listen to "Vet for the Insane" by Fields of the Nephilim, and they are not even a metal band

isnt breaking up with a girlfriend or whatever more of an emotional topic than the average metal band lyric? yes, i think it is.

you ability to overexaggerate is almost admirable... I HIGHLY doubt that there is even 100 bands more depressive than Opeth...

Opeth's music reaches some of the most darkest depths of emotion, touching on topics such as "ghostly remorse over unfaithful lover" and "the harrowing tale of lepers in wake of their lost sense of humanness" as well as "grief stricken lover scorned by village seeking vengeance" etc...

Although maybe they are not depressive as your generic mainstream singer songwriter band :rolleyes:
Opeth's the most darkest depths of emotion? No offence, but I think it's time for you to do some musical explorations.

Opeth's the most darkest depths of emotion? No offence, but I think it's time for you to do some musical explorations.

Actually, I said "Opeth's music reaches some of the most darkest depths of emotion"

Technically that is my own opinion, but one cannot listen to "Morningrise", for example, without understanding EXACTLY what I am talking about

edit:

np. Morbid Angel - Blessed are the Sick

I agree, but try to compare your average "break-up" song to "To Bid You Farewell"...

Obviously the lyrics on TBYF are much more profound and the singing much more sorrowful

thats your opinion, which you are most definitely entitled to. however i think judging what artist's emotions and trials are more valid than another's isnt really your call to make.

Actually, I said "Opeth's music reaches some of the most darkest depths of emotion"

Technically that is my own opinion, but one cannot listen to "Morningrise", for example, without understanding EXACTLY what I am talking about

edit:

np. Morbid Angel - Blessed are the Sick
Well, I guess it's your opinion but seriously, you think Morningrise is the epitone of dark, depressive music?

thats your opinion, which you are most definitely entitled to. however i think judging what artist's emotions and trials are more valid than another's isnt really your call to make.

I wasn't making any judgements about an artists particular trials or emotions, but rather pointing out the differences in lyrical and vocal expression between mainstream artists and most Opeth songs which IMO have more of an expression of melcancholy and deeper subject matter. Of course this is not true in alot of cases, just in the genre that I am referring to...

np. All Souls Day - A Breath From The Death