Now Playing

Keeper of the Seven Keys is amazing. The structure, vocals and well fuck the vocals again make it one must-hear metal classic.
The whole album(s) got a few weak songs but overall I don't really disagree with people who say it's the best power metal album ever. The stand-out song for me, besides Keeper of the Seven Keys and Halloween (the song), is this one:

This song could just as well have been the climatic ending to an epic 1-hour song or something.

Only Blind Guardian's Nightfall in Middle-earth can compete but that's also because of nostalgia. Mirror Mirror is indisputably one of the best power metal songs of all time however.

It has everything you can ask from a power metal song. Nerdish-fantasy-badass-cheesy as fuck lyrics, speed and brilliant melodies (the whole fucking crowd 'sing' the guitar melodies when they play this live).

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't hear anything in SX that suggests they've traced their lineage from the classic power metal bands - Yngwie Malmsteen/Tony MacAlpine, etc. and Dream Theater are the obvious influences.

I would agree, except for the Dream Theater bit. I don't hear anything influenced by DT in Symphony X's music; if anything, I think their more complex and "progressive" sections are more influenced by straight-up classical.

I would agree, except for the Dream Theater bit. I don't hear anything influenced by DT in Symphony X's music; if anything, I think their more complex and "progressive" sections are more influenced by straight-up classical.
The DT influence gets obvious later on, I think. The first extended instrumental in the Odyssey (the song), starting at 6:05, is a good example.

But even the Edge of Forever sounds a bit like Parallels-era FW or Images and Words-era DT to me, of course with more unique SX elements than borrowed ones. Overall I would consider SX one of the basic pillars of prog metal that other people imitate, rather than in any particular camp.

The stand-out song for me, besides Keeper of the Seven Keys and Halloween (the song), is this one:
Pretty sure sure Stratovarius totally ripped off that song's chorus somewhere, but I can't remember where.

PL and IC are the most power-metal sounding in SX's catalogue, and they are also my least favourite post DG albums (with TiO being a possible exception).

Enough acronyms for everybody?
Nah you should make some up as well.

PL and IC are the most PM sounding in SX's catalogue, and they are also my LF post DG albums (with TiO being a PE).

Keeper of the Seven Keys is amazing. The structure, vocals and well fuck the vocals again make it one must-hear metal classic.
The whole album(s) got a few weak songs but overall I don't really disagree with people who say it's the best power metal album ever. The stand-out song for me, besides Keeper of the Seven Keys and Halloween (the song), is this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLM_85HL4eg
This song could just as well have been the climatic ending to an epic 1-hour song or something.

The singer kind of reminds me of Queensryche's singer

Death is beyond awesome \../

The singer kind of reminds me of Queensryche's singer

Yeah, I always though Kiske sounds like a cross between Geoff Tate and Alvin the chipmunk.

Listening to Egoist Hedonist by Riverside. Really good stuff.

Bruford layin' it down like a boss, holla!

Yeah, I always though Kiske sounds like a cross between Geoff Tate and Alvin the chipmunk.
That was the style at the time! I've heard people compare Kiske to John Arch, too (And Arch and Tate, what do you know), but once you get to know the three of them they're very different.

Last edited by a moderator:

screenshot20120121at717.png

I'm digging the invisible bassist.

Wow :S

Symphony X has its share of confrontational lyrics but I never expected Russell to be singing about how he's going to beat up wannabes. That was terrible, though I did enjoy the solo.

The lyrics are definitely shit, but the solo and the vocal performance itself was pretty decent, still overall disappointed with the whole project but whats new eh?