Now Playing

Katatonia - Dead End Kings (the new album).
Katatonia always takes a long time to grow on me, but a couple of songs have already stuck. The Racing Heart is nice.

Just recently discovered this band from the small nation of Andorra called Persefone.

They are progressive and melodic death metal. I say it this way rather than "progressive/melodic death metal" because they don't necessarily just throw all those things into a blender. There are some tracks I have heard where there is kind of a mix of both styles; however, a lot of what I have heard so far seems that a lot of tracks are pure prog metal or pure melodic death metal. The vocals range from clean to both high and low pitched growls.

I would recommend looking into more tracks to really get an idea of the variation between the two styles but here is a compilation of 2 tracks together which are a part 1 and 2 duo. The first is more pure melo death, but the second part (which starts around 5:35) is very atmospheric and progressive.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYfp42o1L0U&feature=related[/ame]

Just recently discovered this band from the small nation of Andorra called Persefone.

They are progressive and melodic death metal. I say it this way rather than "progressive/melodic death metal" because they don't necessarily just throw all those things into a blender. There are some tracks I have heard where there is kind of a mix of both styles; however, a lot of what I have heard so far seems that a lot of tracks are pure prog metal or pure melodic death metal. The vocals range from clean to both high and low pitched growls.

I would recommend looking into more tracks to really get an idea of the variation between the two styles but here is a compilation of 2 tracks together which are a part 1 and 2 duo. The first is more pure melo death, but the second part (which starts around 5:35) is very atmospheric and progressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYfp42o1L0U&feature=related

The 'melodeath' part was a little weird, but I enjoyed the slower stuff after. I'll look more into them though. I'm kind of on a melodeath fix right now.

Someone mentioned them in another thread, but I've recently gotten into Agalloch. I've just been listening to random songs on youtube.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuu-roooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo-raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Last edited by a moderator:
^---Yeah, the playing is actually pretty damn impressive, but that thick accent isn't doing the singer any favors, especially when growling.

Probably one of my top 5 albums of all time.

Good song. I wish the singer would stick to this stuff and leave Queensryche alone.

Yeah. At first I was glad that something at least mildly exciting was happening in the Queensryche camp for a change, but the whole lawsuit mess and division into two competing QRs has gotten really lame.

The guy is a better fit for Crimson Glory anyway.

Absolutely godly. That solo, man, that solo...