Now Playing

Opeth's one of the greatest bands ever, good for you. They have tons of great stuff even for people who don't appreciate Åkerfeldt's fantastic growling.

My problem with Opeth were the growls, I´ll admit it. Nothing personal with Åkerfeldt's, but I´m one of those guys who can´t (or couldn´t?) tolerate that kind of singing from anyone.

Now, I´m into 2 bands that use growling sporadically (Haken and Leprous... well the latter more often, but I can´t say If those are real growls, they sound kind of different). So, I´ll definitely give a chance to that side of Opeth.

Not know if I´m going to like it, But what I´ll say is that "Burden" is definitely one of the most amazing songs I´ve ever heard.

It took me years to get into Opeth. I heard Face of Melinda and thought it was boring; heard Deliverance and couldn't stand the growls. A few years later they just clicked with me somehow, and they've been one of my top two bands for years. Issac, I'd recommend Damnation and Heritage if you want growl-free stuff, but if you want to ease into their growly material, Still Life is a good start. Blackwater Park and Ghost Reveries are also top-notch.

As strange as it sounds, Opeth is an autumn/winter band for me; listening to them in the spring or summer just feels wrong somehow.

I've never been able to get into Opeth. I don't mind growls either.

It's mostly that the songwriting ranges from "why are these five unrelated sections strung together" to "is there a point to this?" to "this is precious, I guess? beauty and the beast thing going on?"

The growls are actually one of the best parts of the music - damn that guy's got a voice. Not really aware of any better growlers. Everyone can also play, of course - very slick, professional band. The songwriting's just not there.

I´ve never been a fan of Opeth, but holly shit, this song is so, so, so awesome.

Who knows, this might be the beginning of something :Spin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FVK1fCsEmE

I liked the Hammond solo, but if you fuck up a pentatonic Hammond solo then something is wrong! The rest of the song just goes overboard with how predictable it is - that guitar solo needs to be run through a cheese grater. As does the "Soooorrrrooowww!" Nickleback vocals. :puke:

Sorry Opeth, you keep droppin' the ball on me

It's mostly that the songwriting ranges from "why are these five unrelated sections strung together" to "is there a point to this?" to "this is precious, I guess? beauty and the beast thing going on?"

I can see how you might feel this way about Watershed or Heritage (I don't, though), but no way is that true for the likes of Blackwater Park. Those songs have a perfectly smooth flow.

Don't know if this has been posted here before, but I came across some Symphony X 'misheard' lyrics for 3 songs: Oculus, Domination and Evolution

I got a kick out of Oculus, but the other 2 weren't as good. Although I can't unhear "hail the walrus" in Domination.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see how you might feel this way about Watershed or Heritage (I don't, though), but no way is that true for the likes of Blackwater Park. Those songs have a perfectly smooth flow.

Agreed. Their latest two albums do suffer from flow issues, even though I do like Heritage (I consider Watershed to be their worst album). But everything before that? No way. They're fantastic songwriters in my opinion.

Also, lol @ the misheard Symphony X lyrics. I was rolling at beef hoof, pancakes, and angles...

Agreed. Their latest two albums do suffer from flow issues, even though I do like Heritage (I consider Watershed to be their worst album). But everything before that? No way. They're fantastic songwriters in my opinion.

Also, lol @ the misheard Symphony X lyrics. I was rolling at beef hoof, pancakes, and angles...

Mikael is, IMO, one of the BEST song-writers in the business. His song structures are great because of how unconventional they are.
I can understand why others may not like the style, but I certainly do.

I also love Watershed... Heir Apparent is worth the cost alone. Yes, it is a down-step from Ghost Revs, and the songs are quite choppy at times (not typical).

I liked the Hammond solo, but if you fuck up a pentatonic Hammond solo then something is wrong! The rest of the song just goes overboard with how predictable it is - that guitar solo needs to be run through a cheese grater. As does the "Soooorrrrooowww!" Nickleback vocals. :puke:

Sorry Opeth, you keep droppin' the ball on me

Yeah, it's a Burden listening to that song! :lol:

just heard these guys will play support for the marillion concert I'm going to this summer:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1F6zAWAsMo&feature=related[/ame]
sounds like it's gonna be great

I've been listening to Insomnium a lot lately, mainly their newest album. Even though they come off as a little emo at times, I can't get enough of it for whatever reason.