Now Playing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aOoqqa7yRM

I swear this is the catchiest band I've heard in forever

I have mentioned this band a few times here because I thought some of the tastes in music here would find them interesting; however, it didn't seem anyone knew of them or cared. They are a bit more on the rock/alt rock side with a metal/progressive tinge.

I first heard of them when their album "Fables from a Mayfly" had been out a while. They took their time releasing this newest album and I waited some time for it to release. I actually put this album on my top 10 list of 2011 here too!

I recently found out that Arjen Lucassen has a new solo album out titled "Lost in the New Real". I listened to some samples of it and this full song recently.

Even though I like almost everything he does unlike some who seem to love to criticize his works, this album seems familiar but fresh all the same. A departure from the "samey" sound he has had recently while at the same time familiar to them. I think some who criticized the last Ayreon album for its music not sounding unique may enjoy this album. Also, I know some criticize him for using tons of well known vocalists as a selling point for the Ayreon albums; however, besides a few backing vocals, I think he does them all himself. He is not a great vocalist by any means, but at least this time people can't say "he just gets all these famous singers to get people to buy bad music!". The concept seems like it may get quite preachy though as he seems to be carrying the same theme he had with his latest Star One album "Victims of the Modern Age", only this is in a more concept/story narrative. Also, I don't remember his name but the narrator/psychologist in the story is some famous actor that had something to do with the movie Blade Runner?

I have also been listening to Ne Obliviscaris-Portal of I. This is a band that I have kind of kept tabs on over the last couple of years as they have had many obstacles getting this debut album out. They previously had a demo in which some or all of the tracks eventually got redone and put on this debut. This band seems to have something great with their debut, and the reviews so far I have seen have raved over it. It may actually be too good in that I don't know how they could do as good or better without repeating themselves. They throw so many sounds and styles into the debut that I think they would have to play a whole different genre of music on their next album to not sound repeated. Anyway, here is a song from them that has been around a while since it was also on the demo a while back; however, I think its a good starter track.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have also been listening to Ne Obliviscaris-Portal of I. This is a band that I have kind of kept tabs on over the last couple of years as they have had many obstacles getting this debut album out. They previously had a demo in which some or all of the tracks eventually got redone and put on this debut. This band seems to have something great with their debut, and the reviews so far I have seen have raved over it. It may actually be too good in that I don't know how they could do as good or better without repeating themselves. They throw so many sounds and styles into the debut that I think they would have to play a whole different genre of music on their next album to not sound repeated. Anyway, here is a song from them that has been around a while since it was also on the demo a while back; however, I think its a good starter track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMorAdnCixg

Oh my god, I love this!!! So just to be clear, this album still isn't out?

Edit: Apparently I can't read. Oh boy

I have mentioned this band a few times here because I thought some of the tastes in music here would find them interesting; however, it didn't seem anyone knew of them or cared. They are a bit more on the rock/alt rock side with a metal/progressive tinge.

I first heard of them when their album "Fables from a Mayfly" had been out a while. They took their time releasing this newest album and I waited some time for it to release. I actually put this album on my top 10 list of 2011 here too!

Holy hell where was I when this band was mentioned?! I am now on a quest to hear everything they've done. Banjos and metal, I'm hooked.

Oh my god, I love this!!! So just to be clear, this album still isn't out?

Edit: Apparently I can't read. Oh boy

Yep, its been out like a week or two I think. I have waited quite a while for it and it finally came out without me realizing until a few days ago!

They are from Australia too which you don't hear too many metal groups from there. Also, they're official forum is actually here on UM. This debut is on some no name label though so its not distributed too well; although, with how good it is and how much the reviewers are raving it I don't think they will be on a no name much longer. Unless they have some sort of commited contract I guess...

Holy hell where was I when this band was mentioned?! I am now on a quest to hear everything they've done. Banjos and metal, I'm hooked.

I dunno, I thought you were pretty active on the "top 10 of 2011" topic I made a while back? I mainly like to make that topic because I like to see things people really like that I have not heard of before and find new stuff; however, I guess nobody else does the same... :p

I hope you are not expecting any of their other songs to have banjos though because I believe that one is the only one. Their previous album "Fables from a Mayfly" was their first major/widespread distributed release because it was on Serj Tanakians' (the guy from System of a Down) record label because he loved their sound. That album is pretty much mostly just a mix of songs from their first two albums, which were like independently released I believe; thus, if you buy their stuff its best just to get "Fables from a Mayfly" and the newest album because there are not many tracks from the first two that aren't on the "Fables" album.

Yep, its been out like a week or two I think. I have waited quite a while for it and it finally came out without me realizing until a few days ago!

They are from Australia too which you don't hear too many metal groups from there. Also, they're official forum is actually here on UM. This debut is on some no name label though so its not distributed too well; although, with how good it is and how much the reviewers are raving it I don't think they will be on a no name much longer. Unless they have some sort of commited contract I guess...

I listened to most of the songs on youtube, and I'm definitely going to buy it. I don't know if it's out in the US though, so I'll keep an eye out. I checked out their forum, and it seems like there's a lot of stuff, but not a lot of discussion that's happened in a while.

The banjos in that SA song are indeed awesome, but the vocals kill it for me :/

I'm telling you, power metal and folk music, same breed.

You don't like his vocals at all or you just don't like the way he tries to sound hillbilly-ish in the song?

If you just don't like the hillbilly vocal attempt then I sort of understand. They were quite odd to me at first but I learned to like them okay; however, I can also see why one would never learn to like them as well.

I've listened to the whole Sonata album through and I gotta say, the two wildfire songs are easily the best. Not too big a fan of the rest of the album though.

I've listened to the whole Sonata album through and I gotta say, the two wildfire songs are easily the best. Not too big a fan of the rest of the album though.

There are certainly some weak tracks such as "Shitload of Money" and "Alone in Heaven"; however, I really enjoy the rest of the tracks for the most part. The Wildfire's are definately the highlight of the album though.

You don't like his vocals at all or you just don't like the way he tries to sound hillbilly-ish in the song?

If you just don't like the hillbilly vocal attempt then I sort of understand. They were quite odd to me at first but I learned to like them okay; however, I can also see why one would never learn to like them as well.

Just the quality of his voice, not a fan of his tone or delivery. It's not terrible, just not my cup of tea.