Now Playing

Dream Theater - Bridges in the sky

what the hell is that intro sound? they thought it sounded good?
I don't think I'll return to this album. extremely bland.

Exotic vocal techniques seem to be coming into vogue in heavy prog music. I like it, but it seems like they're only ever used for decoration and don't factor into the meat of the song. Bummer.

It's some kind of throat singing. I don't know from where, though.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xQR14OeD0M&feature=related[/ame]

You can hear Pendragon using something similar it just for about ten seconds at the end of this track.

I know I've heard more recent examples but I can't think of them right now.

Michael Lepond on bass!

Haha, Lepond's about the only good thing about that! Still, no matter how many awesome fills he has in that song, it still doesn't make it anything more than generic power metal in my opinion. The singing is laughable; it's like I'm listening to Hammerfall. I remember seeing Seven Witches open for Symphony X back in March of '03 (I believe Joey Vera was playing bass for them back then) and I thought the same thing - nothing special.

That's a cool song, chriscc. I really dig the part around 3:12.

I think Myrath's stuff is cool, and they pull off that Eastern-sounding vibe really well. However, the problem I have with them is that every song I've heard has that same tonality! I wanted to like them a lot, since I know Symphony X is their favorite band (and I can definitely hear some of their influence), but I wish their soundscape was broader. I've only heard Desert Call in full, though. Is this new album more of the same?