Now Reading...

Are you re-reading the series, or is this your first time through it?

It's my first time through it. Geez, I can't imagine reading such an epic, 7 novel narrative twice.

I have to say, I'm really enjoying it so far; however, I know that the last 3 in the series aren't nearly as well regarded as the first 4. Still, I'm compelled enough by the main storyline that I think it will carry me through. Plus, since my expectations are somewhat lowered, perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Jason

Dirty Little Secrets of the Record Business"
Why so much music you hear SUCKS
by Hank Bordowitz

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench
a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free,
and good men die like dogs.
There's also a negative side" ... Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

I've used this quote before it's in the beginning of the above book, so its worth repeating

I'm someone who never reads novels/fiction
my main areas of reading in no particular order are
assassins, biography's, Nazis, serial killers, music, science, any criminal activity -

My entry: Olympos, by Dan Simmons.

How is that? I've read some Dan Simmons and really liked some. "Children of the Night" was good and "Carrion Comfort" was REALLY good. I didn't care for the Hyperion books though.

I'm reading the last issue of Lamentation of the Flame Princess now as the new one is otw hopefully. The other stuff I'm reading is trash, so I'm not going to say what it is.

How is that? I've read some Dan Simmons and really liked some. "Children of the Night" was good and "Carrion Comfort" was REALLY good. I didn't care for the Hyperion books though.

If you didn't like the Hyperion books, my hunch is that Ilium and Olympos won't do much for you either. Ilium/Olympos are simply STRANGE. They're written well, with (as usual) a clear amount of preparation and research going into ithem. But you've got three different time settings, at least two different spatial locations, the Trojan War, a futuristic version of the Greek gods, post apocalyptic earth, a sentient avatar of the earth's ecosystem, etc etc. I still don't know if I liked them, but they were compelling and I'm sure I'll never read anything like them again.

The other stuff I'm reading is trash, so I'm not going to say what it is.

Wimp.

Ken

Since my first post in this thread I've finished Triggerfish Twist, gone through The Stingray Shuffle, and I'm nearly done with Cadillac Ranch. All books (still) by Tim Dorsey. If I don't get a call to sub tomorrow I'll finish it tonight. Beyond that I'll either need to pick up Torpedo Juice, or move on to The Stupidest Angel by Christopher Moore....

now reading:
'The Lost Life of Eva Braun'
by Angela Lambert
I've been waiting for a book about Eva
Only one other biography has been written about Braun,
her family/friends said that book was a work of fiction
Braun is not some exotic creature but an ordinary woman of a specific German type,
a complex individual both liberated and imprisoned by her relationship with Hitler -

Since last, I finished up Gibson's Pattern Recognition, and I'm now reading Frank Zappa's autobiography.

TrunkMusicMMNew.JPG

^^
Connelly is excellent... love the Harry Bosch novels, though I'm a bit behind with them...

Finished Hannibal Rising, by Thomas Harris yesterday.
:puke:
And not 'cause it was disgusting... actually, it was... disgustingly bad.
Almost as bloated and boring as Hannibal.

I'm about 1/3 of the way through Radio Activity by Bill Fitzhugh, and then should be moving on to another Christopher Moore book...

Just finished reading
'The Trouble with Physics', the Rise of String Theory,
the Fall of Science and What Comes Next
By Lee Smolin
weighty stuff, things like our Universe has no depth just length and width, think hologram
there are billions and billions of Galaxies in Our Universe plus Parallel Universes,
I think back to the days when those in the know said the Earth was flat and the center of Our Universe(You would be put to death for not believing this)
Here's an interesting thought ... time and gravity may be an illusion
class dismissed

Will start reading this later today
'Licensed to Kill', Hired Guns in the War on Terror
by Robert Young Pelton
My first thought when I saw this book on the library shelves was
'licensed to ill' by the Beastie Boys

Rereading the non-Robert Langdon Dan Brown books since it's been 2+ years since I read them both. Almost finished with Digital Fortress, and then it's on to Deception Point.