Now Reading...

9780061561696_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

I had thought this was a trilogy, but it turns out there's a fourth book coming out in April.

I think I forgot to post this one:

steampunk-book-boneshaker-300x300.jpg

I used to read Cherie Priest's blog years ago, and she wrote some hilarious stuff. As a result, I think my expectations were set a hair too high. I liked the book well enough, but it didn't motivate me to haul ass to the bookstore for the next one.

I think I forgot to post this one:

steampunk-book-boneshaker-300x300.jpg

I used to read Cherie Priest's blog years ago, and she wrote some hilarious stuff. As a result, I think my expectations were set a hair too high. I liked the book well enough, but it didn't motivate me to haul ass to the bookstore for the next one.

I vaguely recall starting that one and setting it aside. It didn't grab me.

I haven't. In fact, my first foray into Robin Hobb's world was Dragon Keeper and Dragon Haven, and the liveship Paragon makes an appearance. So I'd say those books have a significant spoiler, too. Fortunately for me, I can't remember much about Paragon from those novels, other than he's insane, but has a crew that knows how to work with him by the time Dragon Keeper occurs.

I am a huge Robin Hobb fan. While the Liveship series is great, it does not hold a candle to either of her Farseer or Tawny Man series. I would seriously consider stopping and reading those first. As someone said, there is an amazing moment/revelation in the Liveship series that has a much greater impact if you have read the Farseer series first.

If you read nothing else of Robin Hobb, read Assassin's Apprentice, which is the first book written in the Farseer world. Easily in my top 10 favorite books. In fact, I'm due for a reread; I haven't in about five years.

I haven't read a Grisham book in over a decade. However, the description along with some stellar reviews on the twisting plot from critics lured me back. I cracked it open and....BAM....first person narrative.

Fuck.

So what did you think? I just finished this one and am seriously puzzled by all the 5-star reviews on Amazon. I've read almost all of Grisham's novels, and this was the worst one by far. Slow, plodding, spends an extended period of time on a bizarre turn that you don't understand until the end of the book...not to mention that I pretty much lost sympathy for the protagonist fairly early in the story.

Just picked up "Pandora's Lunchbox" by Melanie Warner and "Salt Sugar Fat" by Michael Moss -- both about how the food industry has jacked up processed foods to maximize profits...at the expense of health and nutrition.