Now Reading...

51KExXGOmgL.jpg

Can anyone make some suggestions for some good newer science fiction that I may not have heard of? I don't really want hard science sci-fi, like the Kim Stanley Robinson Mars books, but something along the lines of Cherryh's Union/Alliance books (Downbelow Station, 40,000 in Gehenna, etc)..

I haven't been in an actual bookstore for probably 10 years, so I'm not up to date on newer authors.

I'm about halfway through Republic of Thieves. I can tell Scott struggled with this one. It's not as bad as I was afraid it might be, but it's got more than a few awkward/boring stretches, and he uncharacteristically hit everyone over the head with a sexism bat at one point, which surprised me - he's usually more subtle than that. I'm waiting for the whole thing to play out before I make a final judgment, though.

Also, I'm kinda disappointed because the much vaunted Sabetha is not a particularly likable character, which seems kind of a shame after two books of wondering how she got to be so important to Locke.

Can anyone make some suggestions for some good newer science fiction that I may not have heard of? I don't really want hard science sci-fi, like the Kim Stanley Robinson Mars books, but something along the lines of Cherryh's Union/Alliance books (Downbelow Station, 40,000 in Gehenna, etc)..

I haven't been in an actual bookstore for probably 10 years, so I'm not up to date on newer authors.

I enjoy reading Alastair Reynolds, nothing too technical. He writes a good story.

As RagePSV, Alastair Reynolds is good, start with Revelation Space.

Also, look into getting subscriptions to Asimov's and Analog science fiction magazines, they have some good stories.

It's not recent, but try the Miles Vorkosigan books by Lois Bujold ... If you like them, there are LOTS. I also recommend the Midshipman novels by David Feintuch if you like some military sci-fi that is not really hard sci-fi.

Personally, I'd go through the Baen free library of e-books and see if there is anything you like. They are pretty heavy on military SF, but they do have other stuff as well.

http://www.baenebooks.com/c-1-free-library.aspx

Speaking of Military Science fiction, two that I highly recommend to any science fiction fan are Old Man's War by John Scalzi and The Forever War by Joe Haldeman, they are great.

Thanks for the suggestions.. as soon as I finish re-reading the Amber books I'll start checking those out.

@spag and tenth dreamer deceiver – Is Dr. Sleep any good? And does it help to have recently read The Shining? I have The Shining in my digital queue at the library. Read it back in the Stone Age when I was in Jr. High School and didn’t want to pay for another copy!

Recently finished Elizabeth Gilbert’s “The Signature of All Things.” PAINFULLY sow, but that was kind of a good thing, as work has been crazy for the last couple of weeks. This is the kind of book where you can read a few pages, put it down, and not think about it again until you are ready to pick it up again. Getting ready to start “Micro”, which was partly finished at the time of Michael Crichton’s death and finished by another author. Expecting that one to be a much quicker read!

51ajCe0LMeL._SY346_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_.jpg

This is one of the better books I've read lately...so far anyway

-jeremy

I just finished this one last night. It was a great read. The world and its depth seemed pretty limited at first, but slowly unfolded into awesomeness by the end. The various magics were interesting and played well off each other and the story was very good.

I think the sequel is due out early next year.