Now Reading...

I really, really enjoyed the Sarantine Mosaic books, which happened to be the first ones I discovered. Since then, the law of diminishing returns has kicked in with Kay's books in my eyes.

Lions of Al Rassan is my favorite, followed by the Sarantine books. There hasn't been a bad one for me though. Even at their most cliched the Fionavar books are handled well.

I really, really enjoyed the Sarantine Mosaic books, which happened to be the first ones I discovered. Since then, the law of diminishing returns has kicked in with Kay's books in my eyes.

I forgot about the Sarantine Mosaic. I liked them too, but obviously they didn't leave THAT much of an impression!

I could not stay interested in the Fionavar Tapestry. I'm pretty sure I made myself finish it, but I don't really get why they're a GGK favorite.

The Martian is an extremely entertaining read. Growing up around a lot of NASA personnel and getting to know a few astronauts, the author seems to have nailed both the science and the personalities pretty well. Unfortunately, the ratio of ass coverers to envelope pushers is relatively lower than the book makes it appear.

The Martian is an extremely entertaining read. Growing up around a lot of NASA personnel and getting to know a few astronauts, the author seems to have nailed both the science and the personalities pretty well. Unfortunately, the ratio of ass coverers to envelope pushers is relatively lower than the book makes it appear.

The break-neck pace was great as was the Apollo 13 like vibe. However, the level of geekery and smart-ass quips just took it to another level for me.

The Media Director was simply awesome.

Bring on the movie!

The break-neck pace was great as was the Apollo 13 like vibe. However, the level of geekery and smart-ass quips just took it to another level for me.

The Media Director was simply awesome.

Bring on the movie!

I agree! This book is crying out to be made into a movie. What current actor is the closest to a young Harrison Ford?

novik-blood.jpeg

Finished The Martian. 3.5/5. Enjoyable read but too much knocking of the 70s :lol:

My primary criticism would be the snarky, sarcastic tone of Watney. It kinda got stale after a while.

I'm rereading The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. I realized when I started Words of Radiance (his newest in The Stormlight Archive) that I needed to revisit the plot lines.

Fortunately, I usually have a pretty good memory, so it doesn't take me long to recall what happened in a previous book.

And yeah, The Way Of Kings is a monster. I'm just wondering at what point we will finally be past the setup and start getting to the point. (I'm about 60% done now.)

Fortunately, I usually have a pretty good memory, so it doesn't take me long to recall what happened in a previous book.

And yeah, The Way Of Kings is a monster. I'm just wondering at what point we will finally be past the setup and start getting to the point. (I'm about 60% done now.)

That was my problem the first time I read through it. Let me say that yes, there is a huge payoff at the end, and my 2nd read I enjoyed the setup portions much, much more.

Words of Radiance is fantastic. If Way of Kings was the slow setup, Words of Radiance kicks things into high gear. A LOT happens. Oh, and if you haven't read Warbreaker, you'll definitely miss out on a few very important nuggets throughout WoR.

I never finished Way of Kings. I got maybe a quarter of the way through, if that, and I just wasn't interested enough to keep going. Too much noise, not enough signal.

That was my problem the first time I read through it. Let me say that yes, there is a huge payoff at the end, and my 2nd read I enjoyed the setup portions much, much more.

Words of Radiance is fantastic. If Way of Kings was the slow setup, Words of Radiance kicks things into high gear. A LOT happens. Oh, and if you haven't read Warbreaker, you'll definitely miss out on a few very important nuggets throughout WoR.

I loved the first book, and just ordered the second. I don't remember much of what happened in Book 1, but I don't have time to re-read. I think much of it will come back to me as I begin to read Book 2, anyway. It usually does with epic novels.