Now Reading...

Good Kindle sale on Amazon - I picked up a couple old favorites for two bucks apiece, and one I haven't actually read: A Tree Grows In Brooklyn.

41TgvjwMF9L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-v3-big,TopRight,0,-55_SX278_SY278_PIkin4,BottomRight,1,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Wait, I thought Warbreaker was a stand alone book. I have been meaning to start Way of Kings, should I read Warbreaker first?

Let me rephrase, you'll miss out on some nuggets, that aren't actually *important* to the story.

Warbreaker is standalone, but there's a subtle character cameo and a not so subtle um, "kind of character?" cameo in Words of Radiance.

Ok got it, thanks. I may read Warbreaker first then since I have it and have been wanting to catch up on Sanderson's stuff in general.

Did anyone read the sequel to the Mistborn series (Alloy of Law? I think). I love Mistborn, but was turned off by the switch to a steampunk setting.

Yeah, I've read Alloy of Law. Its a fun shorter novel and doesn't have much of a steampunk feel to it. Its kind of a combo western/early industrial setting. Worth the read.

I could not stay interested in the Fionavar Tapestry. I'm pretty sure I made myself finish it, but I don't really get why they're a GGK favorite.

I remember them being well-written books craft-wise...but I don't remember much else. :eek:

Just finished 1636: The Devil's Opera by Eric Flint and, uh, some other guy who can now join SFFWA as an Active Member... :)

I recently got a Kindle Paperwhite so I've been getting some older stuff to re-read cheaply.... Next I'll probably re-read Larry Niven's Neutron Star -- my first introduction to his wonderful Known Space books. I was startled to see it offered since it's been OOP for years.
Also in the queue are David Weber's Like A Mighty Army (Safehold series), and another novel in the 1632/Ring of Fire universe.

I'm on the prowl for good, recent (last 10 years) SF and fantasy, so any recommendations are welcome.

I remember them being well-written books craft-wise...but I don't remember much else. :eek:

Just finished 1636: The Devil's Opera by Eric Flint and, uh, some other guy who can now join SFFWA as an Active Member... :)

I recently got a Kindle Paperwhite so I've been getting some older stuff to re-read cheaply.... Next I'll probably re-read Larry Niven's Neutron Star -- my first introduction to his wonderful Known Space books. I was startled to see it offered since it's been OOP for years.
Also in the queue are David Weber's Like A Mighty Army (Safehold series), and another novel in the 1632/Ring of Fire universe.

I'm on the prowl for good, recent (last 10 years) SF and fantasy, so any recommendations are welcome.

For fantasy:

Patrick Rothfuss - The Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear
Brian McClellan - Promise of Blood
Anything by Brandon Sanderson, though I recommend starting with the Mistborn trilogy.

17910106.jpg

From William Forstchen, the New York Times bestselling author of One Second After, comes Pillar to the Sky, a towering epic to rank with Douglas Preston’s Blasphemy and Michael Crichton’s Prey...

Pandemic drought, skyrocketing oil prices, dwindling energy supplies and wars of water scarcity threaten the planet. Only four people can prevent global chaos.

Gary Morgan—a brilliant, renegade scientist is pilloried by the scientific community for his belief in a space elevator: a pillar to the sky, which he believes will make space flight fast, simple and affordable.

Eva Morgan—a brilliant and beautiful scientist of Ukranian descent, she has had a lifelong obsession to build a pillar to the sky, a vertiginous tower which would mine the power of the sun and supply humanity with cheap, limitless energy forever.

Erich Rothenberg—the ancient but revered rocket-scientist who labored with von Braun to create the first rockets and continued on to build those of today. A legend, he has mentored Gary and Eva for two decades, nurturing and encouraging their transcendent vision.

Franklin Smith—the eccentric Silicon Valley billionaire who will champion their cause, wage war with Congress and government bureaucracy and most important, finance their herculean undertaking.

The Goddard Space Flight Center—the novel’s pre-eminent hero, it’s enormous army of scientists, engineers and astronauts will design, machine, and build the space elevator. They will fight endless battles and overcome countless obstacles every step of the way.

This journey to the stars will not be easy—a tumultuous struggle filled with violence and heroism, love and death, spellbinding beauty and heartbreaking betrayal. The stakes could not be higher. Humanity's salvation will hang in the balance.

Thanks to this thread for reminding me that Words of Radiance came out this month, I bought it and have started to read it. Will get a good bit done on my ride to Cincinnati today.