Now Reading...

What, and miss the epic Battle of Dumai's Wells in book 6? That was a highlight of the whole series for me.

Is that the battle where Rand used balefire to resurrect his dead girlfriend and his former-enemy-now-buddy, thereby passing up all opportunity at anything even remotely resembling character development? (where the heck is the spoiler code?)

Starting Steven Erikson's Deadhouse Gates.

Interesting setup so far, but I think what's so difficult about reading his stuff is that he wedges SOOOO many names, locations, and made-up concepts into the text, without any reference text to describe what these things/who these people are, that it's almost impossible to follow along early in each book without reading passages over and over. I have read the first book twice, and I *still* don't understand warrens. It seemed, at first, that warrens were tied to certain schools of magic, but then it turns out that certain characters (ascendants? gods?) also have their own warrens, and, apparently, even *STUFF* can sometimes have warrens!

Starting Steven Erikson's Deadhouse Gates.

Interesting setup so far, but I think what's so difficult about reading his stuff is that he wedges SOOOO many names, locations, and made-up concepts into the text, without any reference text to describe what these things/who these people are, that it's almost impossible to follow along early in each book without reading passages over and over. I have read the first book twice, and I *still* don't understand warrens. It seemed, at first, that warrens were tied to certain schools of magic, but then it turns out that certain characters (ascendants? gods?) also have their own warrens, and, apparently, even *STUFF* can sometimes have warrens!

I pretty much had to keep muddling along through several books with NO clue what the overall point of the story was, but I sure enjoyed the ride.

Drink every time nothing happens?

Or, drink every time someone says "I'll box your ears?"

Every time Nynaeve tugs her braid, and every time Ogiers are described as having fingers like sausages. Chug every time a character magically comes back from the dead, and every time someone accomplishes something you've been told repeatedly is impossible.

51ZM7F403GL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I decided to reread one of my favorite books, and one of the finest single-volume fantasy novels ever.

51ZM7F403GL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I decided to reread one of my favorite books, and one of the finest single-volume fantasy novels ever.

I just discovered GG Kay. I thoroughly enjoyed The Sarantine Mosaic books, but I'm having a tougher time losing myself in The Last of the Light. I had to set it down for a couple of days to read Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain.

I just discovered GG Kay. I thoroughly enjoyed The Sarantine Mosaic books, but I'm having a tougher time losing myself in The Last of the Light. I had to set it down for a couple of days to read Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain.

I'll probably reread the Sarantine Mosaic books soon. I enjoyed Last Light of the Sun, but it wasn't one of his best books. This one and A Song For Arbonne are unforgettable.