Now Reading......

Never would've had you pegged for reading a Cannibal Corpse biography!

I studied the english civil war at A level, fascinating period of history.

Great thread idea. My books at the moment are:

Stephen Fry - More Fool Me
The Eye of the World - Robert Jordan

Wow... surprised to see the Wheel of Time love! I've been stuck on book #3, The Dragon Reborn, for about 6 months. I kinda fell off the wagon. Only have a couple hundred pages left - I'm gonna try to pick it back up tonight.

Also rereading Lorenguard's novel now that I have a smaller, more compact copy. Yay!

That's all for now. Though I *am* tempted to go back and read A Song of Ice and Fire now that the show has turned me from a hater into a believer. Though the first book was so dry I never finished...

I finally finished reading the Wheel of Time series early last year. As everyone else says, the saga does sag somewhat in the middle, but gets back in business in Knife of Dreams, and the last 3 books (the "Memory of Light trilogy", co-written by Brandon Sanderson) are absolutely fucking rip-roaring. I was surprised by how funny the last book was, as well.

I enjoyed those last books so much, I'm now going through Brandon Sanderson's other works. I enjoyed the Mistborn books, and I'm currently reading Words of Radiance, the 2nd book in the Stormlight Archive series. His books are basically Moorcock and Mormonism, though still very good.

^^ I've been toying with the idea of reading Mistborn after WoT. How do they compare?

I'm curious how someone could *hate* aSoIaF before becoming a convert? I remember way back when I used to read the Ctrl+Alt+Del webcomic the author loved aSoIaF so I bought GoT and let it rot on my shelf for years and then all of a sudden it's the hottest book series on the planet thanks to HBO.

Mormonism? Um...I'll pass - that's a touchy subject for me. Though a friend has really recommended the Stormlight Archive.

I want to delve into The Dark Tower series at some point.

I'm curious how someone could *hate* aSoIaF before becoming a convert? I remember way back when I used to read the Ctrl+Alt+Del webcomic the author loved aSoIaF so I bought GoT and let it rot on my shelf for years and then all of a sudden it's the hottest book series on the planet thanks to HBO.

Well, I'm 23 now; tried reading the books for the first time when I was 14. Between then and now I must've tried finishing the first book a dozen times but could never get past 250 pages, it was just boring, uninteresting, too much of nothing happening, could never figure out what characters I was really supposed to give a damn about (because there were so many). The show proved that the story does pick up and become truly epic though, and I'm so glad I was proven wrong about the series as a whole. Now I can't wait to see what happens next.

Also if you ever start The Dark Tower, let me know, I'd love to discuss it with someone!

Power_Metal_Dom said:
Mormonism? Um...I'll pass - that's a touchy subject for me. Though a friend has really recommended the Stormlight Archive.

When I say Mormonism, I mean that certain aspects of the mythology are inspired by Mormon theology (Article about this). I didn't even know that he's a Mormon until I was halfway through the second Mistborn novel, and happened to be looking at his Wikipedia page. It's not like having Mitt Romney bash you over the head with right-wing conservative BS (it's remarkable how much he actually criticizes religion in some of his books). You also need to bear in mind that most western fantasy literature is heavily influenced by Christianity anyway, whether anyone likes it or not. Most of the things in Sanderson's books that might be considered "Mormon" are fairly typical of the fantasy genre.

^^ very true about the Christian influence in western fantasy. It's urrywhere. URRYWHERE.

Fair enough then. Yeah I'll certainly give a shout if I plunge into the depth of Mr King.

New reads:

The Silmarillion - J. R. R. Tolkien
The Casual Vacancy - J.K. Rowling
Too Much Information - Dave Gorman

As I said earlier in the thread, I'm reading Lorenguard's novel (The Days of Astasia, Pt. 1: Eve of Corruption).

It's... different. Not to go all literary nerd on ya'll, but if I understand viewpoints correctly, it's basically told in third person omniscient, meaning the narrator knows everything and tells you everything. It reads very much like a novelization of a tabletop, pen and paper RPG, which makes sense because the author plays quite a lot of games like that and is a big fan of fantasy. Unfortunately because the narrator knows (and tells!) everything, there is very little suspense in the writing. I read it once a couple years ago and although it does pick up and get typically epic in the second half (especially towards the end which details my favorite parts of the album), it's just that - typically epic. They introduce a lot of characters and nomenclature in a very short time that makes it almost overwhelming, even on the second read. The nomenclature itself is very over-the-top with odd naming conventions not unlike the crazy batch of names in the beginning of The Wheel of Time (Egwene al'Vere, Perrin Aybara, Nynaeve al'Meara) which gives heavy flavor to the tabletop novelization feel of the book.

There is an air of levity throughout the story and its characters and Brady Sadler never shies away from allowing some humor like in the beginning when the prince is nursing a hangover and vomiting in public. The characters themselves are interesting, particularly Raiken and the Greenstone. I don't want to spoil anything so I'm trying to keep details broad. One of my favorite moments in the entire book is actually early on when a main character, Sebastian, details some of the lore of the world by moving figurines in a diorama.

Memory's fuzzy on the later parts of the book but I'm halfway through the second read. While I can't honestly say the book is anything on the level of Lord of the Rings or Wheel of Time or my other favorite fantasy series, it's a quirky little novel that I think fans of tabletop RPGs would enjoy. I just think if there was more suspense in the writing, without the narrator detailing a character's motivations as soon as they're introduced, it would be a lot more captivating.

Hope that doesn't sound too harsh. I actually recommend anyone who's a fan of their album check it out because the guy's put a hell of a lot of work into this stuff and it really shows, but it's a very particular audience that will enjoy it, and you kinda have to go in with a lenient attitude towards the writing. It's just a fun fantasy adventure and any fan of power metal should like it. Please pick it up sometime if you can because it supports the band's fantastic power metal.

Finally finished Words of Radiance. Very good book, and has left some very interesting threads to come in the next book (Stones Unhallowed), involving the Ghostbloods, Taravangian, the diagram, Szeth etc. etc. etc. 2016 can't come soon enough!

After some umming and aahing, I've decided to have a proper go at the Dune series. I've already read the first book, which I happened to find in the attic, though I think I'll read it again while I wait for Dune Messiah to come in the post.

BTW Mike, I haven't ignored or forgotten your question (about how Mistborn compares to WoT), I just can't think of an answer, even after 2 weeks. Sorry about that.

Reading the Dune series has only served to remind me that I don't really do science fiction. After some too-ing and fro-ing (and having some difficulty getting back into reading again), I have decided to reread the whole Discworld series. I had been planning on doing this anyway, even before Terry Pratchetts death. For one thing, I've never read the Science of Discworld books, so I'm working on that. Also, I've forgotten large swathes of the series, possibly because it's been well over a decade since I read some of the books.