np

Tbh I don't think it's all that controversial to suggest that Gorguts aren't a technical death metal band. I've heard them described as one before, but it's pretty obvious that most of their material sounds nothing like most tech death bands' output.

As to Obscura (and From Wisdom to Hate) being influenced by Legion era Deicide, I don't think that's much of a shocker either. I'm not saying Gorguts and Deicide sound exactly alike - what I'm saying is that elements of Gorguts' sound were drawn from Deicide's sound, and that Obscura therefore wouldn't have been Obscura without Deicide - that's how influence works. Testimony of the Ancients / Spheres era Pestilence is another evident influence.

Yeah, its not controversial to say one of the greatest technical death metal bands of all time aren't technical death metal. Not at all bro. And please stop with the whole tech-death thing as you clearly have no clue what that label even means, as you've showecased numerous times in the past few hours. "All technical death metal is supposed to sound like modern tech-death" ... sad. But what's even sadder is that you had to backpedal out of your "Obscura was influenced by Deicide/Legion" argument with the whole .... well they inspired a lot of early death metal, so they must have inspired early Gorguts(which they didn't), therefore there would be no Obscura without Legion( again, you are out of your damned mind). What a impish place you took this argument back to.

Gorguts aren't technical death metal(because they dont sound like Origin :lol:) and Legion influenced Obscura. Amiright? Lol, what a pleb.

"All technical death metal is supposed to sound like modern tech-death" ...

The bands you label modern tech death sound like Atheist, late Death and Cynic, all of whom are "old" tech Death. They don't sound like Gorguts.

But what's even sadder is that you had to backpedal out of your "Obscura was influenced by Deicide/Legion" argument with the whole .... well they inspired a lot of early death metal, so they must have inspired early Gorguts(which they didn't)

Actually it was Phylactery that said this, your rage is making you confused

there would be no Obscura
without Legion( again, you are out of your damned mind). What a impish place you took this argument back to. Pure pleb.

I remember you having a similar problem with the concept of influence when we discussed how Thrash was inspired by NWOBHM. It seems to elude your mental grasp that a band doesn't need to sound exactly the same as its forebears in order to have been influenced by them.

Gorguts aren't technical death metal(because they dont sound like Origin :lol:) and Legion influenced Obscura. Amiright?

Or Atheist Or Cynic or The Sound of Perseverance.

i have a feeling you think technical death metal started with Necrophagist or something. They are the fathers of today's modern tech-death(the kind that most people here shit on), that is all. There were plenty of technical death metal bands before him, and none of them sounded like modern tech-death you dumbass. That's like saying Atheist and Death weren't/aren't technical death metal.

https://rateyourmusic.com/genre/Technical+Death+Metal/

Actually it was Phylactery that said this, your rage is making you confused

what I'm saying is that elements of Gorguts' sound were drawn from Deicide's sound, and that Obscura therefore wouldn't have been Obscura without Deicide

:err:

You are clearly the most hard headed person here. No matter how wrong you are, you'll just keep pushing it. Bookmark these threads/arguments, please. Because you're going to have a good laugh at yourself sometime in the near future.

i have a feeling you think technical death metal started with Necrophagist or something. They are the fathers of today's modern tech-death(the kind that most people here shit on), that is all. There were plenty of technical death metal bands before him, and none of them sounded like modern tech-death you dumbass. That's like saying Atheist and Death weren't/aren't technical death metal.

Yes, your dumb argument that I clearly haven't made clearly does lead to your dumb conclusion that I also haven't made.

:err:

You are clearly the most hard headed person here. No matter how wrong you are, you'll just keep pushing it. Book mark these threads/arguments, please.Because you're going to have a good laugh at yourself once you educate yourself a little more about what is and isn't technical death metal.

I said absolutely nothing about them inspiring early Death Metal and that being the means of their influence on Gorguts, so you're either confused or trying desperately to represent my argument as being different from what it actually is in order to give you a way to criticise it. Much like above.

Or Atheist Or Cynic or The Sound of Perseverance.

Cynic were more of a progressive/jazzy technical death metal band with their first album, and nothing after that can even be labeled technical death metal. And Focus sounds almost nothing like modern tech death, outside of a few of the more proggy tech-death bands of today like The Faceless. And which modern tech death bands sound like TSoP? Yeah, i swear you're living on another planet or something.

Cynic were more of a progressive/jazzy technical death metal band with their first album, and nothing after that can even be labeled technical death metal. And Focus sounds almost nothing like modern tech death, outside of a few of the more proggy tech-death bands of today like The Faceless. And which modern tech death bands sound like TSoP? Yeah, i swear you're living on another planet or something.

So wait, what are you even arguing here? That early tech death records like Focus and TSOP weren't in fact tech death? That's way more of a stretch than saying Obscura - which sounds nothing like anything any tech death band have ever written - isn't tech death. You're so set on having Gorguts accommodated as a tech death band that you're happy to completely distort the boundaries of the genre in order to make your point. Smacks to me of wrongness.

No, what are you arguing? What is the relevance of suggesting that Cynic and Atheist don't sound exactly like Origin or Spawn of Possession? We can argue all day about how much those bands do or don't sound alike, but it's obvious to anyone with a frontal lobe that all those bands sound more alike than any of them sound like Gorguts.

Are you that soft in the head? What im saying is that you seem to think that technical death metal started with necrophagist and the other modern tech-death bands of today and that if a band doesn't sound like them then they are not technical death metal. You are completely wrong and a fucking idiot. TSoP sounds nothing like modern tech death, and neither does Focus .... so does that mean those works are not TDM? I swear, you must be really slow in the head and it honestly says a lot if i had to break this shit down to you.

Oh and as i stated earlier, Focus is the only album that can be labeled progressive/technical death metal, so technically yes, it would be incorrect to label them as a technical death metal band. Have you even lsitened to any of their other albums?

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Cynic/91
https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/cynic
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cynic_(band)

oh and a big lol at Origin and Spawn of Possession sounding like Cynic and Atheist. I'm honestly starting to feel sorry for you.

edit: Also, trying to take potshots because of typos and grammatical errors? Lol, what a square. We haven't had someone like that here in years. Just shows that you're scraping at the bottom of the barrel. It's the usual last resort for people who get crushed.

Last edited:
On the tech-death note

0006501389_10.jpg

Listening to this for the first time, digging it. Kinda reminding me a bit of Crimson Massacre in that it's a really trebly melodic kind of tech-death while still really spastic and wanky, no melodeath mixed in like Anata or whatever.

What the hell, Gorguts is definitely a technical death metal band. Having some weirder elements mixed in here and there doesn't disqualify them from that earned spot in the style. Obscura is a masterpiece of the genre.

Not sounding like most technical death metal is irrelevant.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity