NWOBHM - a retrospective

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Last month's Terrorizer magazine did a great article on the NWOBHM, with particular discussion around the massive number of bands that existed for a short while, released some brilliant music on self financed 7" EPs, and then disappeared into dust.

A quote: "1980 remains the best year that the heavy metal world has ever seen".

The Best Albums:
1. IRON MAIDEN - s/t
2. ANGEL WITCH - s/t
3. ELIXIR - Son of Odin
4. WITCHFINDER GENERAL - Death Penalty
5. VENOM - Black Metal
6. DIAMOND HEAD - Lightning to the Nations
7. SAXON - Wheels of Steel
8. DESOLATION ANGELS - s/t
9. SATAN - Court in the Act
10. HOLOCAUST - The Nightcomers

The Best 7" EPs:
1. RICOCHET - Midas Light
2. ARC - War of the Ring
3. FIST - Name, Rank, and Serial Number
4. TRESPASS - One of these Days
5. VIRTUE - We Stand to Fight
6. HELL - Save us from those who would Save Us
7. REINCARNATE - Take it or Leave it
8. BLITZKRIEG - Buried Alive
9. TYRANT - Hold back the Lightning
10. REQUIEM - Sacrificial Wanderer

Right, so for starters, who's heard Angel Witch's self titled album? In fact, from the top ten album list, who's heard Elixir, Desolation Angels, Satan, or Holocaust?

Also, what are your thoughts on bands today keeping the spirit of the NWOBHM alive? Bands like Wolf, Twisted Tower Dire, Destillery, etc?

Discuss like mofo's.

I own everything from the top 10 (the Desolation Angels album on cdr of course). There is totally no excuse for NOT putting WITCHFYNDE - GIVE EM HELL, in the top 10 (imo its the best nwobhm album). Also most of that top 10 albums are not from 1980, and some of the do not exactly belong in the nwobhm area, but in the so called "post nwobhm" thing (Elixir,Satan, Desolation Angels). These 3 bands' music is also slightly different from the common nwobhm thing. Demon, Cloven Hoof and Tokyo Blade (this is from the post nwobhm too) should be also mentioned. And PAGAN ALTAR !!!!!!!!

I saw Pagan Altar and Witchfinder General on jewBay for $50.

Was Witchfinder Gen. ever re-released? In the meantime, I'll check out some Angel Witch.

Outstanding!! :kickass:

(I forgot all about sentinelsteel - they have such a shitty ordering method. You gotta use e-mail, and then it's $5 flat rate shipping, so I gotta make the most of my order and spend more money on them :loco: . I'll go through their catalog...thanks).

IOfTheStorm said:
There is totally no excuse for NOT putting WITCHFYNDE - GIVE EM HELL, in the top 10 (imo its the best nwobhm album).
I found this album to be quite naff actually. The first song is cool but after that it just gets...naff!

NWOBHM is cool. I'm surprised that Samson didn't make that top 10 list. Should gee me up to check out those other bands, I only know Maiden, Angel Witch, Venom, Diamond Head and Saxon. Should dig out Def Leppard's debut as well, ain't listened to that in ages.

Something that always strikes me as wierd is how some people seem almost desperate to include any band they can in the NWOBHM. Everyone knows it applies to bands from 1979 - '81, yet sometimes you get bands that form as late as 1985 getting thrown in, and I completely fail to see any logic in that. I've seen people on the Old School forum try and pass off Judas Priest and Motorhead as NWOBHM, it doesn't make sense. Heh, I remember seeing someone on the Iron Maiden BB ages back say Deep Purple, Megadeth and Van Halen were NWOBHM :loco:

"You're an Angel Witch, you're an Angel Witch"

*cue ripping guitar solo*

Singalong chorus crowd-style...brilliant!!

*more blitzkrieg solos*

Brilliant. You gotta love the purity of it all.

Erik - have you heard Brocas Helm or Cirith Ungol? Geez, you'd wet your pants. And give me an update on "The Bastard" when you've given it a few spins -- tracks #5 and #8 in particular keep my underpants in warmly soiled condition.

Well, King of the Dead is on half.com for just under $10 - I think you can find Cirith Ungol at places like Sentinel Steel. Brocas Helm is not easy to find for 'cheap' per se, but do check www.aquariusrecords.org.

Erik - check your e-mails. Just want to see if the trade is ok.

I don't have much NWOBHM. Tell me what Diamond Head is the best and I'll get it (in 4 months).

The first one. Only one you'll really need, I think.

I think I should get Canterbury someday, I dunno...