O/T Picks And Predictions For The Upcoming NFL Season

T_man357

Locked & Loaded
Jan 7, 2004
U.S.A.
web.archive.org
For starters...I don't see either Super Bowl team getting back!! I'm not even sure they were the two best teams last year....But they got there, Congratulations Steelers!! Etc, etc, etc....Time to move on.

There's ALOT of teams that should be improved from last year.. Arizona, Baltimore & Miami are just a few..

Then there's a few teams that were just one player away from great things last season...Denver, Dallas & Carolina fit that bill.

Then you've got the teams no ones expecting anything from who will probably surprise from week to week...49ers, Jags & Lions are some of them..

This is my EXTREMELY early prediction for the end of the season...

NFC Championship Game: Carolina over Dallas

AFC Championship Game: Denver over New England*

Super Bowl: Denver vs. Carolina (Too close to call!!)

(*Though a few teams could overtake N.E. for this spot...I'm putting them here based on their easy strength of schedule)

The Steelers lost three starters in the offseason. Antwaan Randel El (receiver,) Kimo VonOlhoffen (defensive end) and Chris Hope (safety.) Cedric Wilson will replace Randel El and will be an improvement. Ryan Clark will replace Chris Hope and will be an improvement. Brett Kiesel will replace Kimo and will be an improvement early in ther game, but will be a deficit late in the game.
Despite winning the SB, I honestly don't think there is a more hungry team out there than The Steelers and I am not being a biased fan saying that. They are hungry as a team can be.

Jacksonville had an early exit from the playoffs last year. They have a RB who has constantly had injury problems, they have THE toughest schedule in the NFL and have had a QB controversy, but watch out for them !!

Bryant

Bryant, your football posts are always great so know that this isn't me taking an opportunity to harass you but my honest opinion..

The Steelers are nowhere near the hungriest team in the NFL!! It's actually kind of a silly statement!! If you want to look at hungry teams start with last years pre season pick to win it all...The Colts. I mean they get homefield through out and finally get the Patriots off their backs during the season everything is going their way then they lose to a team not many people had winning that game on the road..You don't think Indy's hungrier to get the label "Choke Artists" off of their backs...C'mon!!

Next up The Broncos.. The Steelers do the dirty work and beat the team that has dogged Denver for a while now in the playoffs and all they have to do is win a playoff game in Mile High..More than that the AFC Championship Game in Mile High!!! They won the week before punching their monkey the Patriots right in the mouth and knocking them off their backs!! All signs point to the Broncos being in the Super Bowl and they get knocked out by a Wild Card team on their usually unbeatable home turf...Don't think they're hungrier than the Steelers??

And finally New England..Who beat The Steelers in week 3 in Pitt and who probably could've given them more than they could handle in the Championship Game (Which would've been played in Foxboro) you don't think The Pats feel like The Steelers are holding their trophy for them..Once they play Denver in week 3 of this season should they win that game I don't think Hungry will even be the right word for what they'll be feeling..

I personally believe that The Steelers were a team of destiny last year...When you have one of the coolest most classiest players/human beings on the planet on your team Jerome Bettis...Something just wouldn't have been right with the universe to not have him leave the game a champion!! (IMO)

Seriously 32 teams play throughout the season and I don't believe ANY of them are playing with any less expectations then the Super Bowl...Making one team just as hungry as the next..

Bryant said:
Despite winning the SB, I honestly don't think there is a more hungry team out there than The Steelers and I am not being a biased fan saying that. They are hungry as a team can be.

I'm with you about the Dallas part!!

And as much as I hate to admit it...I think you'll get at least 10 wins out of the Dolphins..

EVERLOSTINDEADETERNITY said:
My hope as a Miami fan is at least 10 wins and Dallas wont make the superbowl. I COULDNT TAKE IT!!!

T_man357 said:
I'm with you about the Dallas part!!

And as much as I hate to admit it...I think you'll get at least 10 wins out of the Dolphins..

I hope so. Dante has got to do better than Gus. Hell Gus didnt even do that bad. Nine wins for a team that wasnt suppose to do anythings not bad. Anyway Im curious how this year is gonna turn out with all the so called great college players that got up. I hate Reggie Bush and hope he falls flat on his face. He wont but I can hope. Hes paid way to much fucking money. Vince Young might do well. Not a big USC fan they think they are just hot shit.

sixxswine said:
I would not count them out, the Packers are on the decline, the Lions are still the Lions and the Bears have no offense... Looks to me like they can own those teams...
Yeah, Sixx, but they'll still get gobbled up in the playoffs. They almost always get that far because they're in a weaker division. But they always choke when the stakes are high.

I try to never let my hopes get too high. :erk:

<snipped but pretty much agree with all of it>

T_man357 said:

(*Though a few teams could overtake N.E. for this spot...I'm putting them here based on their easy strength of schedule)

Honestly, I hope you're right. I don't have a real good read on my Broncs yet. They looked really good Saturday night -- much better than I expected them to be this early. To temper that, it was against the Titans, so who knows.

They did not address the pass rush problem well enough for me. That was *the* biggest problem with the D last year. Looks like it will be again this year. On the plus side, their young CBs have a year of experience now and are learning from one of the best in the business.

The did address their O redzone problem by picking up Javon Walker. At least that's what I hope. Walker ought to draw enough coverage off Rod Smith for him to have a near career year. Again, I hope. the running game is a bit of a question mark but since it's never really been a problem I'm not going to worry about it.

I'll be going to see them again on Sunday night. The Texans will be in town and it will be Kubiak's first game in Denver as a Head Coach. Should be fun.

The season can't get here soon enough for me. I'm going to the season opener in St. Louis and then to Prog Power the following Wednesday. I'll be up all night Saturday and then catch an early flight back to Denver so I can make the home opener on Sunday. I'll be dead after that.

Wheez,

Elvis Dumervil is a pass rushing stud!! He'll fit in sometime during the season with Brown, Myers, Warren & Ekuban (Actually looking back I didn't think the Denver pass rush was that bad)

I want to know about Mike Bell?? What's the deal with this guy? I'm not hearing or seeing too much on this him except for the fact that he's an undrafted kid...A point ESPN has drove into the ground...Any observations from you??

Wheezer said:
Honestly, I hope you're right. I don't have a real good read on my Broncs yet. They looked really good Saturday night -- much better than I expected them to be this early. To temper that, it was against the Titans, so who knows.

They did not address the pass rush problem well enough for me. That was *the* biggest problem with the D last year. Looks like it will be again this year. On the plus side, their young CBs have a year of experience now and are learning from one of the best in the business.

The did address their O redzone problem by picking up Javon Walker. At least that's what I hope. Walker ought to draw enough coverage off Rod Smith for him to have a near career year. Again, I hope. the running game is a bit of a question mark but since it's never really been a problem I'm not going to worry about it.

I'll be going to see them again on Sunday night. The Texans will be in town and it will be Kubiak's first game in Denver as a Head Coach. Should be fun.

The season can't get here soon enough for me. I'm going to the season opener in St. Louis and then to Prog Power the following Wednesday. I'll be up all night Saturday and then catch an early flight back to Denver so I can make the home opener on Sunday. I'll be dead after that.

T_man357 said:
Wheez,

Elvis Dumervil is a pass rushing stud!! He'll fit in sometime during the season with Brown, Myers, Warren & Ekuban (Actually looking back I didn't think the Denver pass rush was that bad)

I want to know about Mike Bell?? What's the deal with this guy? I'm not hearing or seeing too much on this him except for the fact that he's an undrafted kid...A point ESPN has drove into the ground...Any observations from you??

Elvis is sitting at third on the depth chart right now. We'll see how he does. I'm hopeful he is an answer to the DL's woes. The pass rush last year was ok but they accomplished it with blitzes more than with the front four. The Steelers took advantage of that in the AFCCG. Brown and Warren are both out and will be lucky to be back in by the regular season. The surprise for me on the DL has been Kenard Lang.

Mike Bell is a bit of an unknown quantity right now. I still like the way Tatum looks better. Far be it from me to second guess Shanahan and company when it comes to picking a RB. :loco: The way it's been going I would say that the carries will be split again this season with Mike Bell taking over Anderson's role from last year and Tatum in the same role he was last year. ESPN doesn't surprise me a bit. The media in general has been predicting the demise of Denver's run game since Terrell Davis hung up the cleats. They've been wrong every season.

So, to summarise, Mike Bell is good and fits the mold of a Denver RB nearly perfectly. He makes his cut and then goes. He is quick to the hole and has the speed to break one. Just my humble opinion.

T_man357 said:
For starters...I don't see either Super Bowl team getting back!! I'm not even sure they were the two best teams last year....But they got there, Congratulations Steelers!! Etc, etc, etc....Time to move on.

There's ALOT of teams that should be improved from last year.. Arizona, Baltimore & Miami are just a few..

Then there's a few teams that were just one player away from great things last season...Denver, Dallas & Carolina fit that bill.

Then you've got the teams no ones expecting anything from who will probably surprise from week to week...49ers, Jags & Lions are some of them..

I hope u are correct

2 see Denver at the super bowl will be awsome

Go Broncos!!!!!!!!!!!!!