colts this year i just think the running game is going to be too weak and
Peyton just cant do it all but they'll make a run in the playoffs and probably
get beat in the championship game. I think the team to watch out for is
Tennesee man they got Vince Young and Lindell White in the draft and Mr
Young has been looking good in the preseason they'll def be nipping at the
Colts heels in AFC South along with Jacksonville. I think New England will
be the team to beat in the AFC this year. And my Sleeper team in the NFC
will be Chicago or hell maybe Atlanta!

The Raiders are the most retarded team in all of football!! First they fire Norv Turner and can't find a coach willing to be a puppet for that jackass Al Davis so they go back to a guy they already fired once...Next they need to get a QB who can get the ball to Randy Moss. So what do they do?? They get Aaron Brooks.. Who's about as good a QB as Elisabeth Hurley is!!

And now to top it all off...They raid the NFL graveyard and dig up Jeff George and sign him to a contract....JEFF GEORGE!!! The only guy in the NFL who had to be carried off the field on a stretcher for a dislocated finger. Not too mention they already gave him a ride on the Raiders QB carousel and let him get off because he sucked. What a joke!!! I wouldn't be surprised to see the 49ers finish with a better record than the Raiders!!!

T_man357 said:
Bryant, your football posts are always great so know that this isn't me taking an opportunity to harass you but my honest opinion..

The Steelers are nowhere near the hungriest team in the NFL!! It's actually kind of a silly statement!! If you want to look at hungry teams start with last years pre season pick to win it all...The Colts.

I probably overstated that a bit. There is not one of the 32 teams out there that ISN'T hungry for a SB. That, and millions of dollars and fame is why they play the game. What I should have said is that The Steelers won't get lackidaisical or (overly) cocky because they won the SB last year.

I will start with my analysis of the AFC North

First place.... Steelers. Most of their cast returns. Big Ben will be even better and less than a three or four positions, they are really not aging in their starters. Few RBs in the league actually have an "upside" except for things like pass protection etc. but Willie Parker barely even played in college, so I expect he actually is still "learning" how to see the holes etc. He can actually be a better back than last year. My guess is that Heath Miller will also know the offense better and will get even more receptions as well. My biggest concern is the hamstring injury to Hines Ward. Run first team or not, the Steeler offense will struggle without the sure-handed Hines Ward on the field.
On a side note, analysts talk about the Bettis retirement and the loss it has to the team. Yes, he was one of the best short yardage backs in the game, yes he was also a great goal line back, and yes, he was a motivator and mentor, but I think those areas can be replaced to a good extent.
One thing that CAN'T be replace is his "sloppy field" play. With all of the dome teams and southern teams out tere, there aren't a great number of games played with poor field conditions, but there are still some. The Steelers were practically invincible with Bettis in the backfield when the conditions were bad on the field.

Second place..... Baltimore. My head tells me the defense is aging, McNair is getting slow and aging and J. Lewis is aging and lost a step as well and they won't do much this year..... but I just have a sneaky suspicion that they prove people wrong. Clayton/Mason/Heap may not be the most recognized names as far as pass catchers, but if the OL plays fair, they can get open and get first downs. Obviously McNair already has a good familiarity with Mason from the Tennessee years together.
Ray Lewis is healthy again and Ed Reed might be the best safety in the game. Kelly Gregg is also a handful for even the best OG and the secondary is very good as well. I think points will be at a premuim this year for Ravens opponents.

Third place..... Cincinnatti. Carson is back and is on fire !! The whole offense is returning, so why will they be third ? Game film. I think Cincy shocked people last year with the no huddle and stuff. Their offense will still be quite good, but they won't overwhelm as many teams meaning their average defense won't come up with so many turnovers due to opposing teams trying to play catch-up. Rudi Johnson might be the deciding factor. A strong commitment to the run, could allow Whoseyourmama, Johnson, and their third receiver (forget his name, was a rookie last year and played well) to actually make more big plays if they can stay patient and use play-action.
Having said all of this, I think their defense appeared better than it is last year due to such a potent offense and teams will exploit it this year.

Last place....... Cleveland. They suck. They are "rebuilding" yet again and only Reuben Droughns makes them worth watching. Why Denver allowed him to go is beyond me.

Bryant

That all makes sense...Here's my take on the same division.....

1. Baltimore - They're going to surprise ALOT of teams this year. They already play in a hard division (minus Cleveland) and if you look at their schedule there's not too many pushovers on it...But they've been without a leader on offense for as long as I can remember. And Steve Mcnair is probably the toughest QB in the game right now. I think his attitude transforms the Ravens into a 10 + wins team this year.

2. Pittsburgh - Here's another team the schedule maker wasn't easy on (But I guess when you win the S.B. they shouldn't be) The biggest concern here is the people they lost (Randle El, Kimo, Bettis, etc... And Hines's hammy) The most important being Bettis! I don't care if he didn't play a down this year having that guy on the team was the biggest advantage the Steelers had last year (Yes, bigger than Ben) He was everything to this team that I think Mcnair will be to the Ravens. The two Raven - Steeler games are games I'm dying to see!! Being that defense is my favorite side of the ball.

3. Cincinnati - Not a big fan!! Carson Palmers dismantling of an already bad Packer team in the preseason doesn't impress me!! I guess the only thing that was impressive is the fact that he appears to have beaten that injury...And all I can say is good for him!! Palmer is far too cool to have gone out that way..But the rest of this team reminds me of the show OZ that used to be on HBO...If you don't think character problems are in this teams immediatle future and that it will more than likely cost them some games. You just haven't been paying attention. I wonder if they'll split the series with the Browns. I don't know how Marvin Lewis ended up letting the inmates run the asylum...But he did.

4. Cleveland - Can anything good be said about these guys?? I like Droughns too..And their coach has a reputation for building awesome Super Bowl Defenses! Their schedule is just as tough as the rest of this division which probably means a top 5 pick for next years draft.

Projected finish for the AFC EAST....

1. Patriots - I'd like to be as cocky & confident as I always could be about this choice...But the truth of the matter is with every passing year as of late mgmt is deciding to let key personnel leave the team rather than pay them what they're worth . I don't know if this is the year it will bite them on the ass or not. But they have a ridiculously easy schedule this year with room for maybe 5 losses (Maybe, that's me being generous) And winning this division won't be the challenge. Winning in the post season will be.

2. Miami - No longer anyones bitch!! Saban has this team winning (Who honestly believed they would win 9 games last year?) They've made some great off season moves and Ronnie Brown will be a stud this year not sharing carries with Williams..I'm betting they make the playoffs this year. And could even win this division.
*Sidenote* I hate Miami!! With a passion!! So this pick isn't from the heart or anything but an honest opinion of what they've done.

3. Jets - They're not going to be good...That's just a fact..But when you play the type of defense that the Jets do you will win some games and even take a few you're not expected to...Guy to watch...Jonathan Vilma...The next Ray Lewis!! Awesome linebacker!! Too much talent!! (I wish he was a Patriot)

4. Bills - Suck right across the board!! From the overrated Mcgahee to the talentless J.P. Losman I just don't know if i can say anything good about this team..Here's something...London Fletcher and Takeo Spikes!!! AWESOME!! Only guys worth watching on a bad team..They will get shut out on the opening Sunday against the Patriots!!

Bryant said:
Last place....... Cleveland. They suck. They are "rebuilding" yet again and only Reuben Droughns makes them worth watching. Why Denver allowed him to go is beyond me.

It's simple. He wanted to be paid like he was the reason the run game in Denver was going so well. Given the history of Denver's run game, he was out of his freakin' mind. Denver got some pretty decent D linemen, Cleveland got him. Both sides benefitted and Mike Anderson got over 1,000 yards. Tatum Bell almost got 1,000. This year there'll be an entirely different crew running the ball.

Lesseee, my picks for the AFCW

1. Broncos. They've improved in some key areas, most notably the #2 WR. That should help their 3rd down conversion and red zone problems. Lelie was just too one dimesnional. They got excellent play out of two rookie CBs so with a year under their belt they should be better. The DL is still a major concern.

2. Chargers. I think they'll be hit and miss on O with a "rookie" QB. Their D will keep them within striking distance in nearly all their games.

3. Raiders. Yup. I think the talent they have will finally be focused with Art Shell instilling some much needed discipline. I don't think Brooks is the answer at QB but he can't be any worse than Collins. A healthy Moss can only help matters. Their D will be much improved and one of the main reasons they'll win a few games.

4. Chiefs. Word is that Edwards has hurt the O more than he's helped the D. That's the exact opposite of what should have happened. I think they'll be lucky to win six games this year.

Raiders over Chiefs?!?!? WOW!!

Sorry Wheez. I do not concur..Thought it seems pretty obviuos who's going to win that division (In a run away at that!!) I can't see Oakland winning more than say 4 games.....5 tops!! IMO

Wheezer said:

1. Broncos. They've improved in some key areas, most notably the #2 WR. That should help their 3rd down conversion and red zone problems. Lelie was just too one dimesnional. They got excellent play out of two rookie CBs so with a year under their belt they should be better. The DL is still a major concern.

2. Chargers. I think they'll be hit and miss on O with a "rookie" QB. Their D will keep them within striking distance in nearly all their games.

3. Raiders. Yup. I think the talent they have will finally be focused with Art Shell instilling some much needed discipline. I don't think Brooks is the answer at QB but he can't be any worse than Collins. A healthy Moss can only help matters. Their D will be much improved and one of the main reasons they'll win a few games.

4. Chiefs. Word is that Edwards has hurt the O more than he's helped the D. That's the exact opposite of what should have happened. I think they'll be lucky to win six games this year.

Wheezer said:

Holy Crap

Id Say Chiefs at second
chargers third
Raiders last

T_man357 said:

Sorry Wheez. I do not concur..Thought it seems pretty obviuos who's going to win that division (In a run away at that!!) I can't see Oakland winning more than say 4 games.....5 tops!! IMO

Yeah, that's what's fun about preseason predictions. :lol: I just think the Raiders are finally going to get some use out of their talent. Under Shell I think they'll actually be a team rather than just a collection of players. Their first game against the Chargers should tell quite a bit.

T_man357 said:

Whos Going To Win the Division???

Come on Wheez...Confess. That's just wishful thinking, right??:) :loco:

Wheezer said:
Yeah, that's what's fun about preseason predictions. :lol: I just think the Raiders are finally going to get some use out of their talent. Under Shell I think they'll actually be a team rather than just a collection of players.

I don't know...Maybe the Seahawks.. Oh, wait a minute..They don't play in this division anymore:rolleyes: :Smug:

If you really want to know my take on the AFC West go back and read the first post and the ones thereafter.

molochete said:
Whos Going To Win the Division???

Wheezer said:
It's simple. He wanted to be paid like he was the reason the run game in Denver was going so well. Given the history of Denver's run game, he was out of his freakin' mind. Denver got some pretty decent D linemen, Cleveland got him. Both sides benefitted and Mike Anderson got over 1,000 yards. Tatum Bell almost got 1,000. This year there'll be an entirely different crew running the ball.

Denver's athletic offensive line with it's complexed blocking schemes allow "average" backs to perform well and good backs to look great. I do agree that Bell and Anderson played well, but at the same time, I think Droughns is a "feature" back and is the type that can grind out first downs while protecting a lead etc. It's all good though. Denver made it to the AFCC game, so I really can't argue with success.

Bryant

Wheezer said:
Yeah, that's what's fun about preseason predictions. :lol: I just think the Raiders are finally going to get some use out of their talent. Under Shell I think they'll actually be a team rather than just a collection of players. Their first game against the Chargers should tell quite a bit.

The Raiders have serious QB questions. If Brooks could miraculously transform himself into the Brooks of 2002, then I would say lookout for The raiders offense, but he has been a very inconsistant QB and played like crap last year and in the preseason this year.

Bryant

Bryant said:
Denver's athletic offensive line with it's complexed blocking schemes allow "average" backs to perform well and good backs to look great.

Really good RBs come around about as often as really good QBs. And most of their careers are much shorter than at any other position. So Shanahan turned the running game into a team effort. That lessens the chance that the run game will rise and fall based on which RB is available. They also haven't had to pay big bucks for a star RB since Terrell Davis. That frees up more salary cap dollars to spread around. They also don't spend a lot on the OL because the light, athletic OL ain't quite in vogue yet, so demand is low. Hell, their LT played TE in college.

Wheezer said:
Really good RBs come around about as often as really good QBs. And most of their careers are much shorter than at any other position.

Very true. Injuries are a big part of football. The Steelers will be without Big Ben Thursday and might (though I doubt it) be without Mr. Hines Ward due to injuries. A "team" philosophy worked well for New England as well. However, players have to be addressed individually, not simply by position. It is a crap shoot..... but it is life in the NFL.

Bryant

That game last night was a JOKE!!! (And I'm not talking about Miller being out of bounds...Whether they reviewed that play or not Pitt would've punched it it anyways) No the joke I'm talking about is all the ridiculous talk about no Big Ben, Can the Steelers win??? Am I the only guy who thinks Batch was a solid QB with The Lions?? Or was actually expecting him to have a decent showing last night?? He's a good QB and could start on some teams in the NFL right now...It just pisses me off a bit to hear these "So Called" experts and their opinions. At times last night on different channels they basically said in roundabout ways more than once that he probably wouldn't be able to do it and that the Steelers would have to win the game with their "D". I'm glad he proved them wrong!!! I'm not a Steelers fan (Not even close!!!) But I don't like to see a guy get bashed for no reason. That's just me...Sorry for the rant.

Steelers were still a major force. Im a die hard Dolphin fan , but I didnt count the Steelers out by any means. They are a great team. Culpepper started out well but fell behind and then defeated himself. Well as far as the Miller call well Steelers still wouldve scored but it couldve ended a little differently. Ehhh could a , would a , should a, Oh well Miami will probably crush the Bills if Dante can get his shit together. Stellers will steam roll all season, good for them too, ive got no problems.