October Tide - Rain Without End re-release

I only have one October Tide record and that a original release of "Grey Dawn" (that I got for 1 dollar :p ) so I guess I'll have to get one of the RWE CD's.

I bought the reissue a few days ago and love it(first time hearing it). I have Grey Dawn on Digipack and regardless it being a killer album Rain Without End slays it.

Side note* are the keys Dan Swano ?

I couldnt listen to this band since I havent got any extra money to buy some of their records but now when I started using Spotify I can finally listen to October Tide legally and man o' man.. this is the best shit I've heard for a while

Does anybody hear any difference between this "remastered" edition and the original? I played them both last night and couldn't tell any difference. Are my ears retarded or are they bullshitting us and nothing was done to the recording?

Does anybody hear any difference between this "remastered" edition and the original? I played them both last night and couldn't tell any difference. Are my ears retarded or are they bullshitting us and nothing was done to the recording?
Usually "re-mastering" means they just fiddle with the mix and/or volume, so most re-masters come out sounding a bit louder than their original versions.

Usually "re-mastering" means they just fiddle with the mix and/or volume, so most re-masters come out sounding a bit louder than their original versions.

Yeah I get the difference between a remaster and a remix, but I left my speakers on the same volume, and put the original disc in and played a song, then the remastered and played the same song (all without even touching the volume), and found no difference. I've done this before with many discs and heard an obvious volume difference...but not this time. I just don't get how some remasters are very noticable while others there's no difference. Are they just making these remaster jobs up just to sell CDs? Or do you need a 10 thousand dollar system to hear the difference?

So I finally picked this up at my local record store last night. Now, the music of course speaks for itself and I, having never heard it before, am extremely satisfied. Beats the hell out of Grey Dawn, which isn't too shabby either.
The packaging, however, is a dropped ball of epic proportions. There was so much they could've done with it, but instead we get a nice clean and stereotypical modern doom Photoshop cover and...of wait, there is no 'and': That's all we get . No notes, no lyrics, no additional art, nothing. Just a two page booklet. Extremely disappointing, considering the high anticipation for this release and the cult status that the album itself has obtained over time.

Tut, tut.

So I finally picked this up at my local record store last night. Now, the music of course speaks for itself and I, having never heard it before, am extremely satisfied. Beats the hell out of Grey Dawn, which isn't too shabby either.
The packaging, however, is a dropped ball of epic proportions. There was so much they could've done with it, but instead we get a nice clean and stereotypical modern doom Photoshop cover and...of wait, there is no 'and': That's all we get . No notes, no lyrics, no additional art, nothing. Just a two page booklet. Extremely disappointing, considering the high anticipation for this release and the cult status that the album itself has obtained over time.

Tut, tut.

Yeah I agree, the re-issue really doesn't offer much at all. They could have included lyrics, band photos, liner notes, or the Promo tape songs as bonus tracks, but of course none of that was included. Just a new cheap photoshop cover that really pales in comparison to the original. There was supposedly a remaster done to it, but I can't tell the difference between the original and the re-release.

The only good thing is that the album is available again for people who never got a chance to get the original. I'm lucky enough to own a copy of the original, but I bought the re-release just to have in my collection. In my opinion, however, Peaceville did a way better job at re-releasing Grey Dawn than Vic Records did with Rain Without End.

Re-issues are just a stupid idea. Why make things more complicated? Just get the original copy of the album back in print if you aren't going to change or add anything.

Very true. As generic as the new cover is, though, I actually prefer it to the original cover. Still, a matter of different covers would never sway my purchasing decision at all.

are there any plans on a new vinyl release of RWE? It seems that the old release has been canceled:

"Hi Obsidian,
Unfortunately October Tide's "Rain Without End" LP release has been
cancelled by the label for the immediate future!

As we have been holding your order for over 3 months now, we are left
with no option but to cancel your order for it with us.

Please note that your credit card has not been charged, and check the
website for regular updates and re-order at your convenience!

Thank you for your custom, and my sincere apologies for any
disappointment caused.

Best Wishes,

Andy"