Official Gigantour Announcement/Discussion (updated 7/18)

I honestly would never think that some SX fans or any prog fans would ever be so rude, expressing their dislikes in insensitive ways at gigantour.com. It's like some of us SX fans have already built a bad reputation over there. Someone made a "sorry" thread, but it almost escalated into an argument within itself.

I hope we do show some respect to other bands and forum members' musical tastes. We don't have to like the bands, but I think we should at least keep our hatred inside and be more sensitive to others' opinions. If we just blurt out whatever is on our mind, it could cause defensive arguments and end up in defensive spirals.

bball_1523 said:
I honestly would never think that some SX fans or any prog fans would ever be so rude, expressing their dislikes in insensitive ways at gigantour.com. It's like some of us SX fans have already built a bad reputation over there. Someone made a "sorry" thread, but it almost escalated into an argument within itself.

I hope we do show some respect to other bands and forum members' musical tastes. We don't have to like the bands, but I think we should at least keep our hatred inside and be more sensitive to others' opinions. If we just blurt out whatever is on our mind, it could cause defensive arguments and end up in defensive spirals.

zack hate me is being very rude over there

I'm seriously considering deleting my account over at Gigantour forums. I've had people tell me that DEP owns SX in every aspect. I've seen SX ranked below Megadeth, Fear Factory, and DEP in musicianship. I've seen, "Go slay a dragon, you power metal fags." ... ... It's just not my scene.
I wanted to go and support SX, but it just seems like a lot of people over there just plain dislike their style, and half the SX fans there are being assholes about it.

RANT
And I feel safe saying it here... some of the bands Mustaine has recently put on that tour are TERRIBLE. And now, obviously, six people are going to point out that this is just my opinion, and there are no absolute facts in music. Well, duh. But seriously... this tour was supposed to be about musicianship, about metal that real metalheads dig. He's putting friggin' nu/rap-metal bands on it! One of the runners for the last spot is Mushroomhead! Don't get me wrong, I think they're a cool band (very cool and unique use of keys), but they belong more on Ozzfest than Gigantour. And people told me to get real when I hoped for Circus Maximus (they're more well-known than Bobaflex) or Dragonforce (more fitting than Bobaflex, Mushroomhead, DKL, or DEP). What ever happened to that criteria of musicianship?
/RANT
...Just had to get that out of my system.

I've read about all the hatred against SX. At first I felt defensive, but I've since then tried to get over it and not even bother to look in those threads. I only look for sensible threads now and for updates on gigantour.

I agree with you on the bands mustaine has put on the 2nd stage. I don't like their music much, but if that's what Mustaine wants, then fine. The thing that I think we should realize is that this is a NEW tour and mustaine is probably just experimenting to see if he can get the best out of it. We can't have the perfect tour, that's not possible with all the fanbase and mustaine's opinions. I think we should appreciate that this tour even exists because I don't think any of us expected this to ever happen. I just wanna go see my favorite bands, Nevermore and Symphony X tear it up and I'll be satisfied. I don't care who else gets added, this is a tour that I'm glad has been created.

Is there any chance SX will be playing any one off shows during the tour? The closest Gigantour date to me is over 5 hours in Atlanta and I am planning on making the trip, but it would be nice to see SX a second time in the more traditional club setting.

Force10 said:
Is there any chance SX will be playing any one off shows during the tour? The closest Gigantour date to me is over 5 hours in Atlanta and I am planning on making the trip, but it would be nice to see SX a second time in the more traditional club setting.

They don't have any plans to do that at the moment, and it actually may be part of their contract that they only do Gigantour shows while they're out on the road with them..such clauses aren't unheard of on tours like this. I'll ask, though.

I'm glad somebody asked. Being in the Southeast makes it very hard to get to a metal show. I would also have a lot of trouble with getting Atlanta. :(

And holy crap again! SX is no longer the second stage headliner (I'm not sure if they were in the first place, but it seems like everyone was under that impression). Life of Agony is. I hear their old stuff was pretty cool metal, but they sound like radio rock now... kind of a Foo Fighters/Nickelback/with a dash of numetal. Blech.

Remember in the beginning when Dave said, "This tour is about musicianship"? Umm... did he forget, or what?

The old LOA albums weren't that great, musically. And the one time I saw them live, it sounded pretty chaotic. I'm so glad I can't see the tour....oh wait, hell, I'm not.