Official Off Topic Thread

yeah, the actual press release is pretty lengthy in comparison to that one. just in case anyone is interested (which they aren't hehehe)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SHADOW DEMON RELEASE FULL LENGTH DEBUT
Seattle’s Power Thrash outfit Shadow Demon released their debut album last week to a spectacular response.

“Reactions have been great, so far” bassist James Rinker comments. “And of course it’s very gratifying and humbling to have people recognize our efforts and praise what we’ve done. What’s fun is to see everyone’s interpretation of what they hear because we’re not something typical for any single genre.” Guitarist and founding member Jeff Helm adds, “It has been good to hear that many think there is something unique about this album, while still retaining a very old-school metal sound.”

With more than 2 years of hard work invested in the album, the long awaited “Grimoire of Ruin” is finally available through many online distributors as well as through the band’s record label, Darkhaven Records (http://www.darkhavenrecords.com/). The album, which features artwork by Mattias Noren (Evergrey, Into Eternity, Ayreon), is a dark journey filled with as much mystery as melody. Bassist James Rinker comments on the much anticipated release: “This has been a bit of a lengthy journey for Shadow Demon to finally arrive at the release of Grimoire of Ruin. We’ve all really poured our hearts and souls into this work and we’re hoping that listeners can appreciate something that we think is both classic and new…but Heavy Metal through-and-through!”

Shadow Demon was formed by guitarist Jeff Helm and vocalist Blaine Hammond in early 2002. They were joined shortly thereafter by James Rinker as well as session musicians Clint Clark, Tim Diedrich and Kirk Meredith to record their much acclaimed demo. After finding a solid line-up with the addition of drummer Jay Davidson and lead guitarist Ryan Gallagher, Shadow Demon is ready to take the metal world by storm.

What the press is saying about “Grimoire of Ruin”:

“Shredtastic power metal from Seattle that harkens back to the glorious days of the New Wave of British Heavy metal” – Smother.net

“[Grimoire of Ruin] effectively combines old-school metal with thrash, resulting in a neckbreaking good time.” – MrRock.net

“Shadow Demon brings us a sound that’s akin to what you’d imagine Blind Guardian’s
evil little brother would sound like.” – PivitolAlliance.com

“I’m fucking blown away!” – UnboundZine.com

For more information on Shadow Demon visit:

Shadow Demon official website:
www.shadowdemon.us
Shadow Demon myspace:
www.myspace.com/shadowdemon

Tubbs Mcgee said:
I just think they're a very esoteric band and not for everybody. I'm glad you managed to like Catch 33, though. :kickass:

It was amazing how much of the REALLY weird stuff from music theory those guys were using--and people accuse Dream Theater of being weird and technical! For instance, Catch-33 seemed to be adhering to a twelve-tone structure. Ever hear the Twilight Zone theme? That's the most famous twelve-tone piece in American culture.

Rose Immortal said:
It was amazing how much of the REALLY weird stuff from music theory those guys were using--and people accuse Dream Theater of being weird and technical! For instance, Catch-33 seemed to be adhering to a twelve-tone structure. Ever hear the Twilight Zone theme? That's the most famous twelve-tone piece in American culture.
Yeah, that Twilight Zone was a weird one...

Rose Immortal said:
Are you sure the Twilight Zone theme is 12-tone? Remember, atonal doesn't necessarily mean 12-tone. I haven't heard the whole piece in a long time, so I don't know.

Ditto....
Too much b.s. with the Catolic church for me. No contraception, hiding pedo-priests for YEARS, etc. etc.

NO religion like that deserves either my support, or my attention.

J-Dubya

OfSinsAndShred said:
Are you sure the Twilight Zone theme is 12-tone? Remember, atonal doesn't necessarily mean 12-tone. I haven't heard the whole piece in a long time, so I don't know.

I recall my Music Appreciation professor in college citing it as an example. While he could've been wrong, I do at least find references to the theme's composer, Marius Constant, as having written twelve-tone music during his career.

Does this Twilight Zone theme please anyones ear? I like the "sillyness" of the song but that's about it. There's too much random factor there (albeit 12-tone being anything but a random system. More like in the fashion of serialism)

For me it seems 12-tone was the last resort when some frustrated composers thought everything they did was already composed. :D

Something like that. Being curious I checked Wikipedia's page about serialism. Weird stuff. :lol:

Hmm... I think I shoud buy the whole Twilight Zone-series some day.

Reactions: Anonymous