Official Off Topic Thread

Yeah, I can see how it would affect the tone slightly, due to slightly less surface area to resonate, but it's so subtle, that I'd rather be able to use the higher frets... Even though I don't much for actual classical pieces, I do quite a bit for my own epic compositions...

Wrong, heaps of Romantic period go well up the fret board, as well as some Baroque. Flamenco is great, but I wouldn't put it above Classical... :mad:
Dude, Flamenco technique is SO much harder than classical. Have you ever tried doing Flamenco style tremolo? It's quintuppleted notes; do you have any idea how hard that is?
Technicality wise, Flamenco is one of the first genres to actually be called Progressive as far as deviating from the original classical style. They used Odd Time Sigs, crazy rhythmic patterns, pretty much everything you can think of all packed into an acoustic guitar.

I know all that, I wasn't talking about general difficulty, just from a musicality point of view. The rasquedo strumming and tremelo etc. is sheer murder on the right hand, but there's also some pretty damn demanding classical stuff (Paganini and Guiliani? Some of the Scarlatti sonatas also... ) Don't get me wrong, both are fantastic, I would love to be able to master both styles...

Not so much...It was probably more of a condescending laugh, and I think you misinterpreted my post. I was pointing out that (regardless of your stance on it) 27 frets is no more of a novelty than those things. While I'd never use a 27 fret guitar, I don't see a problem with it....or floyd roses, or having 37 frets on your 78 string guitar. Obviously I have preferences, but I'm not taking sides...just making a point.

Do you honestly think that no one thought to put 24 frets on a guitar before it became popular in the 80's? There's a reason it wasn't a common thing and there's a reason a lot of people still prefer to stick to 21/22 frets. And god forbid a classical player makes due with 12 frets + limited access to a few more above that. There's also a reason a lot of players tend to avoid floating tremolos, but I'm not even going to bother starting that debate.
I know what you meant, I was just being a dick. :)

About Flamenco and Classical:
Flamenco technique is EXTREMELY difficult, and it's cool that guys can play that stuff. True masters of their instrument. But I'd much rather listen to baroque, classical, or romantic period stuff - and I don't think I'm in the minority on that.

I think he must have, I found your comments insightful and directly relevant to the discussion at hand. Which, might I add, was going very well until Zach could no longer handle being left out anymore... :p

we can let Zach play..

+rep poinOMGZ T3H REP BUTTON IS GONE!!!!!!!!

haha totally kidding, I KNEW the rep button was gone. Tricked you guys.....

OfSinsandShred: my bad!

anyway....do any of you actually play flamenco? I practiced flamenco trem patterns when I was working up my tremolo technique (still a work in progress), but never pursued the style itself. I have the upmost respect for flamenco players, but I get burned out on that Spanish sound really quick these days, so it's hard for me to listen to for any extended periods of time and I would have a hard time putting a lot of work into actually playing it.

we can let Zach play..

+rep poinOMGZ T3H REP BUTTON IS GONE!!!!!!!!

haha totally kidding, I KNEW the rep button was gone. Tricked you guys.....

OfSinsandShred: my bad!

anyway....do any of you actually play flamenco? I practiced flamenco trem patterns when I was working up my tremolo technique (still a work in progress), but never pursued the style itself. I have the upmost respect for flamenco players, but I get burned out on that Spanish sound really quick these days, so it's hard for me to listen to for any extended periods of time and I would have a hard time putting a lot of work into actually playing it.

:lol:

I've never pursued flamenco either, it sounds great, but I think I'll just stick to Classical.