Official Off Topic Thread

24 frets has a PURPOSE, namely completing the octave from the 12th to 24th fret. it makes sense to add those extra 2 (or 3) frets compared to guitars with less.

27 is just novelty, like something out of Michael Angelo Batio's videos.

right, so I still don't get why it was necessary to specify that 27 frets on a seven string was such a problem. How do you think oldschool jazz and classical guitarists felt when guitars like strats and les pauls starting getting popular? And how do you think those guys felt in the 80's when everyone starting using floyd rose equipped, 24 fret guitars? There is an endless list of things that could be considered a novelty when it comes to electric guitars.

And how do you think those guys felt in the 80's when everyone starting using floyd rose equipped, 24 fret guitars?
They probably felt like this:

"Oh, that makes sense because 24 frets makes two octaves, and floyd roses enable downward bending as well as upward."

Anyway, before people start getting pissed at me, I don't see anything wrong with a guitar having 27 frets. Just... you probably wouldn't see me playing it, because high E (or F# with the bend) is high enough for me.

I love hitting those uberhigh notes. The high G is as far as I go though, and that's why I don't smoke pot before I play guitar.

They probably felt like this:

"Oh, that makes sense because 24 frets makes two octaves, and floyd roses enable downward bending as well as upward."

Not so much...It was probably more of a condescending laugh, and I think you misinterpreted my post. I was pointing out that (regardless of your stance on it) 27 frets is no more of a novelty than those things. While I'd never use a 27 fret guitar, I don't see a problem with it....or floyd roses, or having 37 frets on your 78 string guitar. Obviously I have preferences, but I'm not taking sides...just making a point.

Do you honestly think that no one thought to put 24 frets on a guitar before it became popular in the 80's? There's a reason it wasn't a common thing and there's a reason a lot of people still prefer to stick to 21/22 frets. And god forbid a classical player makes due with 12 frets + limited access to a few more above that. There's also a reason a lot of players tend to avoid floating tremolos, but I'm not even going to bother starting that debate.

Don't forget the shitty action of a Nylon String guitar.

Also, most classical pieces rarely even go past the 5th fret, and just listen to what people can write.

My classical guitar has a cutaway. Some people frown upon the fact that I have access to about 7 more frets than them... :confused:

Also, it's true that lots of classical pieces don't move past the 5th fret, and they're brilliant, however this was partly because they were written on different smaller guitars with only 5 strings, so even just having six strings is quite a novelty... ;)

But now there's some brilliant classical stuff which uses all the frets and strings, and u can do so much more, brilliant stuff with this novelty...

Well most pieces that actually use everything are actually Flamenco pieces.

Flamenco > Classical

My classical guitar has a cutaway. Some people frown upon the fact that I have access to about 7 more frets than them... :confused:

Also, it's true that lots of classical pieces don't move past the 5th fret, and they're brilliant, however this was partly because they were written on different smaller guitars with only 5 strings, so even just having six strings is quite a novelty... ;)

But now there's some brilliant classical stuff which uses all the frets and strings, and u can do so much more, brilliant stuff with this novelty...

I prefer cutaways on a classical personally, but there are indeed lots of traditionalists who are pretty strongly opposed to cutaways. If you were to A and B two classical guitars that were completely identical with the exception of one of them having a cutaway, you would notice the tonal difference, but it isn't a big enough deal for most of us (myself included) to see a huge benefit in denying yourself the cutaway. Part of the reason is that before more modern guitar building techniques, intonation was pretty bad in the upper register of the fretboard, but nowadays it's mostly the tonal issues that keep most purists from using cutaways.