Official Off Topic Thread

but the point is, i dont think anyone should be gleeful about killing someone else.. it makes us as bad as them..

agreed with this and all other posts you made :worship:

for the curious, my painting finished (as finished as it can be since i'm giving it to someone and that happens tomorrow, so time's up, i only had about 5 hours total :lol:

x003od6.jpg

I try to stay out of these discussions due to the fact that they usually end badly and because I work for the US DoD. However, I wanted to point out a couple of things. First, we all get a bad name for the missteps or outright violations of law performed by a handful of bad apples (Abu Ghraib). Those individuals will (and have) been repremanded or punished for their actions. I have not ever seen any authentic footage of Americans pulling Taliban soldiers from anywhere, torturing, and shooting them. If this had happened with reporters around, that evidence is sufficient for immediate courts martial (soldiers in military court do not have the same "rights" as civilians in civilian court). As for soldiers being a bit too overjoyed when a "500 lb GBU hits an old house filled with insurgent snipers", that's (unfortunately in hindsight or to those of us sitting in the comfort of our homes) a physiological inevitability. The adrenaline and endorphines rushing through the body when taking fire and returning fire overwhelm most people into something similar to a drug high. Not directly because the bad guy's dead, but because they've overcome the life-threatening obstacle of that moment. What few ever get to see is the aftermath of these incidents. When the body comes down from these highs, it tends to go very low into or near depression (even if only momentary).

The "take-home" message, I guess, is that we (in the security of our own homes) really shouldn't interpret all actions after a battle as "gleeful," more as a emotionally high, nervous relief.

And please don't take this as me criticizing, excusing, or any other -ing. It's just my $0.02. :)

One thing I always like to do is darken the corners. It forces the viewer's eyes into the center of the painting, and makes it look at least 10 times better every time.

Here is your painting with the darkened corners and the horizon is smudged in a little so that it looks like its further into the distance.....

x003od6ml0.jpg

they started it, and we'll finish it, one way or another....

The "who started first" case is not that simple. One problem with American way of thinking is to think and be sure that they can solve "other" people's or nations ' problems. US should have taken their lessons from the Vietnamese war, but the Iraqi incident shows that they haven't yet.

There's nothing to "lol" here i think. And i should also add that my criticism should not mean that i am a total "US hater" or that i support the other side. I know that things are so complicated and intermingled that it would not be wise to reach a clear conclusion on my political views...

Glad you clarified, I was ready to go.... :saint:
It IS way more complicated than that, and it's not just an "American way of thinking". Nobody thought ahead about the division in the Muslim sects, and due to peer pressure, internal & external, we are not being allowed to do what is needed to win in Iraq & Afganistan, nor were we in Veit Nam. WWII was over and done in less time than we've been in both situations, but the world order was a bit different back then.....

J-Dub wrote
Strictly MHFO, that neither Iraq or Afganistan will EVER be able to fend for themselves, no matter how many troops, and how many $'s are spent trying.

The $s spent in Afghanistan have nothing to do with helping the nation out and everything to do with controling the production and distribution of heroin.

And then? Anyway what's your point in stating that?

Or leave that aside, what's the thing that you've found funny which i fail to grasp? I'm just asking out of curiosity... :saint:

I'll be totally honest... people from turkey have no sense of humor whatsoever. Or else the sense of humor doesn't translate.

Here's the basic deal: Of course shooting or whatever the fuck was being discussed isn't funny. A lot of us like to laugh at stuff that isn't funny because it makes the shitty world easier to deal with. Do we take this stuff less seriously? Not really, but i think we're generally a lot happier.

A quick example: Doctors and people who deal with death a lot often have very morbid senses of humor because otherwise you just can't make it through life. Little things help. Make sense? If not, you won't get it haha.

And i'm not trying to bitch, so don't take me seriously man.

Now good ol' Uncle Ted is somewhat a little TOO right wing for me, but God bless today's submission to CNN.com (go ahead and snopes this one...)
If this doesn't piss off the coddlers & the peace mommies, my name is Boy George!

By Ted Nugent
Special to CNN

Adjust font size:
Editor's note: Rock guitarist Ted Nugent has sold more than 30 million albums. He's also a gun rights activist and serves on the board of directors of the National Rifle Association. His program, "Ted Nugent Spirit of the Wild," can be seen on the Outdoor Channel.

Read an opposing take on gun control from journalist Tom Plate: Let's lay down our right to bear arms

WACO, Texas (CNN) -- Zero tolerance, huh? Gun-free zones, huh? Try this on for size: Columbine gun-free zone, New York City pizza shop gun-free zone, Luby's Cafeteria gun-free zone, Amish school in Pennsylvania gun-free zone and now Virginia Tech gun-free zone.

Anybody see what the evil Brady Campaign and other anti-gun cults have created? I personally have zero tolerance for evil and denial. And America had best wake up real fast that the brain-dead celebration of unarmed helplessness will get you killed every time, and I've about had enough of it.

Nearly a decade ago, a Springfield, Oregon, high schooler, a hunter familiar with firearms, was able to bring an unfolding rampage to an abrupt end when he identified a gunman attempting to reload his .22-caliber rifle, made the tactical decision to make a move and tackled the shooter.

A few years back, an assistant principal at Pearl High School in Mississippi, which was a gun-free zone, retrieved his legally owned Colt .45 from his car and stopped a Columbine wannabe from continuing his massacre at another school after he had killed two and wounded more at Pearl.

At an eighth-grade school dance in Pennsylvania, a boy fatally shot a teacher and wounded two students before the owner of the dance hall brought the killing to a halt with his own gun.

More recently, just a few miles up the road from Virginia Tech, two law school students ran to fetch their legally owned firearm to stop a madman from slaughtering anybody and everybody he pleased. These brave, average, armed citizens neutralized him pronto.

My hero, Dr. Suzanne Gratia Hupp, was not allowed by Texas law to carry her handgun into Luby's Cafeteria that fateful day in 1991, when due to bureaucrat-forced unarmed helplessness she could do nothing to stop satanic George Hennard from killing 23 people and wounding more than 20 others before he shot himself. Hupp was unarmed for no other reason than denial-ridden "feel good" politics.

She has since led the charge for concealed weapon upgrade in Texas, where we can now stop evil. Yet, there are still the mindless puppets of the Brady Campaign and other anti-gun organizations insisting on continuing the gun-free zone insanity by which innocents are forced into unarmed helplessness. Shame on them. Shame on America. Shame on the anti-gunners all.

No one was foolish enough to debate Ryder truck regulations or ammonia nitrate restrictions or a "cult of agriculture fertilizer" following the unabashed evil of Timothy McVeigh's heinous crime against America on that fateful day in Oklahoma City. No one faulted kitchen utensils or other hardware of choice after Jeffrey Dahmer was caught drugging, mutilating, raping, murdering and cannibalizing his victims. Nobody wanted "steak knife control" as they autopsied the dead nurses in Chicago, Illinois, as Richard Speck went on trial for mass murder.

Evil is as evil does, and laws disarming guaranteed victims make evil people very, very happy. Shame on us.

Already spineless gun control advocates are squawking like chickens with their tiny-brained heads chopped off, making political hay over this most recent, devastating Virginia Tech massacre, when in fact it is their own forced gun-free zone policy that enabled the unchallenged methodical murder of 32 people.

Thirty-two people dead on a U.S. college campus pursuing their American Dream, mowed-down over an extended period of time by a lone, non-American gunman in possession of a firearm on campus in defiance of a zero-tolerance gun ban. Feel better yet? Didn't think so.

Who doesn't get this? Who has the audacity to demand unarmed helplessness? Who likes dead good guys?

I'll tell you who. People who tramp on the Second Amendment, that's who. People who refuse to accept the self-evident truth that free people have the God-given right to keep and bear arms, to defend themselves and their loved ones. People who are so desperate in their drive to control others, so mindless in their denial that they pretend access to gas causes arson, Ryder trucks and fertilizer cause terrorism, water causes drowning, forks and spoons cause obesity, dialing 911 will somehow save your life, and that their greedy clamoring to "feel good" is more important than admitting that armed citizens are much better equipped to stop evil than unarmed, helpless ones.

Pray for the families of victims everywhere, America. Study the methodology of evil. It has a profile, a system, a preferred environment where victims cannot fight back. Embrace the facts, demand upgrade and be certain that your children's school has a better plan than Virginia Tech or Columbine. Eliminate the insanity of gun-free zones, which will never, ever be gun-free zones. They will only be good guy gun-free zones, and that is a recipe for disaster written in blood on the altar of denial. I, for one, refuse to genuflect there.